2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

I started a thread back in Sept 29th 2016 called My Hope 2017 and posted the below comments:

i hope that,
No player is gifted a game
No player is safe because of reputation
Each player earns a game because of their last
Our new coach congeals our list
Our new GM brings leadership to the footy department
Our captain leads with passion and brings every player with him, not just those playing senior footy
Our entire club Unites in the same cause moving in the same direction
We build belonging and unity throughout the organisation!!
We become an AFL club that shows the rest of the nation that we belong!
That our supporters back our list no matter what!

I’m pretty confident all of that happened which is fantastic.
What about this coming season?
I think that after another year with Fagan and with the support of Luke Hodge, your boy and Sam Mayes are each going to have seasons that see the footy world stand up and take notice.

Even more so than when he ragdolled Lance Franklin.

Even if Hodgy does have a bit of "tub tub" then l would think running in the QLD heat and sun would burn it off.

Today is the day the 5th years and up are supposed to be around isn't it? (Not just Beams and Hodge back early?)

I thought it was full squad today?

Even if Hodgy does have a bit of "tub tub" then l would think running in the QLD heat and sun would burn it off.

Today is the day the 5th years and up are supposed to be around isn't it? (Not just Beams and Hodge back early?)

Full squad should be back

Even more so than when he ragdolled Lance Franklin.
God that was good. I’m not even mad he gave a free away - for how much Buddy gets away with using his body against other players I’ve been waiting for someone to show some mongrel back at him - and he had absolutely no idea what to do with it when he got it. One of the best non on-the-ball plays of the season for mine.

Just caught a snippet of video of the Lions training this morning. Witho huffing and puffing jogging behind CC around the field.
Can’t see midfield minutes at the moment, especially in the firsts. If he is to play there it would be in the seconds you would think. Wondering how much pre-season he did last year due to his leg?

Wouldn't be too worried about witho this early. Although he was fantastic last year we have plenty of guys able to play his position. He's only young he'll learn.

Matho on the other hand I think will explode. He looks fit, had a very good end to the year and by the sounds of it worked bloody hard in the off-season to improve his tank.

Very optimistic about next year and very very very excited

Wouldn't be too worried about witho this early. Although he was fantastic last year we have plenty of guys able to play his position. He's only young he'll learn.

Matho on the other hand I think will explode. He looks fit, had a very good end to the year and by the sounds of it worked bloody hard in the off-season to improve his tank.

Yeah I think Mathieson will have a break out year next year. Has added a fair amount of size and has also improved his endurance. That should result in him being able to play 4 quarters of footy.

Yeah I think Mathieson will have a break out year next year. Has added a fair amount of size and has also improved his endurance. That should result in him being able to play 4 quarters of footy.

That should make him even more of a fan favourite with the supporters of our loyal opposition (the other 17 teams)

Can’t see midfield minutes at the moment, especially in the firsts. If he is to play there it would be in the seconds you would think. Wondering how much pre-season he did last year due to his leg?
Have a vague recollection of an interview with him at the end of the season where he said this coming pre-season will be his first in 2 years due to injuries. So While he would of done a mini pre-season once he recovered last season, it shouldn't be surprise that he is finding the going tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Witho one of first names down on team sheet. Along with Berry he is critical to Lions resurgence.

Witho one of first names down on team sheet. Along with Berry he is critical to Lions resurgence.
Wouldn't be so certain this year. With Hodge, Mayes, Allison, Rich, N. Robbo and to a lesser extent Gardiner we've got plenty of competition back there.

Probably blokes in forgetting too. Berry I agree with but witho not so much

Wouldn't be so certain this year. With Hodge, Mayes, Allison, Rich, N. Robbo and to a lesser extent Gardiner we've got plenty of competition back there.

Nup, definitly on the team for mine.
Witho would be ahead of Allison (who l think goes on the wing anyway).

Wonder how Berry's foot is going. Lions Insider said nothing to worry about but in the video Berry said "he would think he would be available for Round 1", surprised about it as l thought it was only a few more weeks and he would be available for most of pre-season

Nice to be able to have a debate on who will be left out as previous few years it's been hard to assemble a reasonable team.

Nup, definitly on the team for mine.
Witho would be ahead of Allison (who l think goes on the wing anyway).

Wonder how Berry's foot is going. Lions Insider said nothing to worry about but in the video Berry said "he would think he would be available for Round 1", surprised about it as l thought it was only a few more weeks and he would be available for most of pre-season

Agreed if fit Witherden is a certain starter in the back line

All the discussions regarding players like Witherden, Matheson, Allison, Mayes, Robbo, Gardner, Rich etc and where they play makes the upcoming season more exciting. Pressure on spots is the perfect storm to make these boys train out of their skins, play like their life depends on it, and never give anyone an added advantage over you. With at least another 1 (maybe 2) draftees ready to come into the senior lineup, the competition for spots is a huge positive for the list.

Any word on how Cutler has looked? Was veey disappointed by him last season as i feel he has a lot of potential.

I think Cutler is the perfect type of player to play alongside Hodge. I reckon if he can force his way into the best 22 he could have a big year. He's super fit so it's all about getting consistency and two way running into his game.

Bell is another one who looks happy and healthy who will be pushing for best 22.

Bring on the competition for spots!

I hope you are right lionshine. IMO, of all the mids, Matho & Keays were the 2 that I recognised as the ones that needed a massive improvement before the 2018 season is underway. Rhy's endurance was one of his weakness's and he looks to have addressed that. :thumbsu:His disposal is another that needs a lift. Its pleasing to see so may players who can play midfield positions & with at least another about to join the pride, the pressure is on.

Any word on how Cutler has looked? Was veey disappointed by him last season as i feel he has a lot of potential.
Watched Cutler run laps last Friday while the remainder of the squad competed in drills....obviously carrying some sort of injury. Fingers crossed, nothing serious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back