Ess

Gf Sydney v Melbourne
Prem Sydney
Brownlow Dan hannebery
Coleman buddy
Spoon north

Pafc B&f Dixon
AA Dixon gray Howard

While we are potentially a top 2 side there's no way you can back us to get there based on our poor game plan, negative coaching style plus the mental fragility that has plagued the club for most of our time in the afl, sadly..

But you tip Melbourne to make top 4? That's a weird contradiction.

My prediction, and a scary one at that, is Port Adelaide vs. Crows grand final.

I could not fathom the intensity of SA that week and the over hyped media dribble that would ensue.

I think I would need a triple bypass in anticipation of the game, if this was to be the final fixture in September.

I would much rather a Cinderella story such as st kilda doing good things this year, fluking it to the granny against us and us to dust them off like they were an annoying fly on the windscreen of the car you are driving.

I would much rather a Cinderella story such as st kilda doing good things this year, fluking it to the granny against us and us to dust them off like they were an annoying fly on the windscreen of the car you are driving.

No way would we want to play a long-suffering Victorian side like St Kilda, Melbourne, Essendon etc. in a Grand Final!

We all saw the lengths the AFL went to to ensure a Western Bulldogs premiership...

AFL.com Predictions

Matt Thompson

Set to fall: Port Adelaide

AFL.com Predictions

Who is this peanut?

Last year's was worse. Practically every AFL.com writer stuck the boots in with a doomsday prediction on and/or off-field, especially with the 'headline you'll see' almost always pertaining negatively to Koch and China.

Which is bizarre for the official media outlet.

AFL.com Predictions

Matt Thompson

AFL.com Predictions

Who is this peanut?

Another candidate for the gold medal in the ******* moron olympics.

Look at the data, Port Adelaide has by every measure materially improved its list. Save a horror injury run, Port will at worse be a top 8 team. Expect top 4 at a minimum.

Lol, have you read their twaddle? Teams will move the ball fast and play on more because that’s how Richmond won. Possession football is out.

No morons, Richmond won because they focused on pressure football, which feeds on “moving the ball fast and playing on.”

The only one with any clue is Travis King.

“Teams employ more of their best marking players in defence to stop the ball hitting the ground, nullifying small forward lines.”

Sage, Travis. Sage.

AFL.com Predictions

Matt Thompson

AFL.com Predictions

Who is this peanut?

Far more offensive than his answer to that is this one:

"Buzzword or phrase of the year: I've answered that question on my podcast"

Get ****ed you dickhead, nobody is going to go out of their way to listen to your podcast to get your response. Just answer the damn question.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LADDER:
GWS
Geelong
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Essendon
Melbourne
St Kilda

Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn
Fremantle
West Coast
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Carlton
Brisbane
North Melbourne

GF & Premiers: GWS v. Adelaide. GWS premiers
Brownlow: Nat Fyfe
Coleman: Charlie Dixon
Power B&F: Jack Watts
Power AA’s: Paddy Ryder, Jack Watts
Power Most Improved: Dougal Howard
Power Rising Star Nominees: Dougal Howard, Riley Bonner

LADDER:
GWS
Geelong
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Essendon
Melbourne
St Kilda

Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn
Fremantle
West Coast
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Carlton
Brisbane
North Melbourne

GF & Premiers: GWS v. Adelaide. GWS premiers
Brownlow: Nat Fyfe
Coleman: Charlie Dixon
Power B&F: Jack Watts
Power AA’s: Paddy Ryder, Jack Watts
Power Most Improved: Dougal Howard
Power Rising Star Nominees: Dougal Howard, Riley Bonner
Solid effort by the Crows to make the GF from 9th. Are Essendon getting kicked out of the finals again?

Ladder

1. Essendon - High scoring, seen what they could do last year and will only get better, expect them to run out of puff come finals though.

2. Sydney - Still a heavyweight of the comp and seem to do better in even numbered years (2012/14/16 GFs).

3. GWS - Most talented team in the comp, about due for a GF appearance.

4. Melbourne - I think they'll build momentum leading into Sep and go all the way, added romaniticsm and bias due to them not winning a flag since 64'. Home ground advantage counts for a lot and things happen in 3s.

5. Port - I have issues with our coaching and we won't get that double-up of playing against weaker teams. Given our recruits its pretty on-the-money with where we'll finish I reckon.

6. Adelaide - I expect a bit of a slide, they were a top two team for the last two years and I think they suffer from a bit of inconsistency and false hope.

7. Hawthorn - A much improved second half of 2017 and expectation of them rebounding and luck will see them re-enter the top 8.

8. Geelong - They'll get enough wins from playing at SS, but I don't rate them as a side.

9. Western Bulldogs - Despite winning the 2016 flag I think they'll need to embrace a mini rebuild, because they're not quite mature nor have enough depth to really be in the finals.

10. Richmond - Could swap them for a team inside the top 8, but I don't quite rate them and I think they'll relax a bit after the euphoria and nothing-left-to-prove of 2017. One in the bag and a swelling membership count will suffice the Tigers.

11. Collingwood - Injuries to start 2018 and they're too unreliable. With a healthy, full list squad I'd almost back them for a position inside the top 8.

12. West Coast - They're surely set to slide, they've retired an aging midfield and will have to overcome the playing-in-Victoria yips.

13. St Kilda - A rebuild phase for the Saints still.

14. Fremantle - One Sandilands/Fyfe injury and they're all but finished. To fix their low-scoring style in one off-season is unlikely.

15. Carlton - A bit like St Kilda, they're still in a long and seemingly permanent state of rebuild with a list that's too young.

16. Brisbane - Fagan's a good coach with hindsight and maturity, but that alone won't get a team like the Lions to climb the ladder.

17. Gold Coast - Football in QLD is not doing well, and the Suns will be on the road for a large part of their year needing to de-Eade-ify under Dew. Expect a 2014 type of year that Melb had under Roos; low scoring, defensive setups with moral losses.

18. North Melb - Genuine lack of talent outside of Brown, they've hit the glass ceiling of their 2012-2016 up-there-ism and are likely going to need to rebuild.

GF & Premiers - Melb vs GWS. Melb to win by 36 points.
Brownlow - Fyfe
Coleman - Lynch (GC)
Power B&F - Ebert, Wines (tied)
Power AA - Dixon (CHF), Wines (bench), Gray to unluckily miss out
Power Most Improved - Dougal Howard
Power Rising Star - Dougal Howard

They are a good side that plays a much tougher better brand of finals style footy, not flakey chippy inefficient rubbish.. don't be surprised..

I found it strange to mention 'mental fragility' as a reason for us not making top 4 but then had Melbourne top 4; a side who shat the bed against Collingwood at the slightest chance they would just make finals. Granted they have some young developing stars coming into nice age brackets (Petrecca/Hogan etc) but much like a lot of teams do they really have the depth past their best dozen players? Is it really any better than us and that's before considering the fact they haven't played finals in a decade and have even worse mental strength issues than us. They're still in the pushing for finals stage Saints are also in and they couldn't even handle that expectation, how is that better than us not handling top 4 expectations? Having said that I reckon they may finally make finals this season, but I would be pretty surprised if they finished above us and in top 4. But s**t Richmond, bloody Richmond! So anything is possible I guess.

Lol, have you read their twaddle? Teams will move the ball fast and play on more because that’s how Richmond won. Possession football is out.

No morons, Richmond won because they focused on pressure football, which feeds on “moving the ball fast and playing on.”

The only one with any clue is Travis King.

“Teams employ more of their best marking players in defence to stop the ball hitting the ground, nullifying small forward lines.”

Sage, Travis. Sage.
Could be true ... is there a stat on how many contested marks defenders take? I reckon it would be minimal

The last time there was a change in government was in February, 2002 - and Port Adelaide finished 1st later that year.

See where I’m going with this?

Far more offensive than his answer to that is this one:

"Buzzword or phrase of the year: I've answered that question on my podcast"

Get ****ed you dickhead, nobody is going to go out of their way to listen to your podcast to get your response. Just answer the damn question.

While I don't doubt this bloke probably does have a podcast, and thinks his views are worth seeking out a podcast for, surely he means "I've answered that question on my podcast" is itself the phrase of the year.

The last time there was a change in government was in February, 2002 - and Port Adelaide finished 1st later that year.

See where I’m going with this?
We don’t make it to the GF? :(

Back