Position 2018 RDT Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

There were plenty on the Carlton board stating that he wasn't in their best 22.

He hasn't been in my squad since I read the Carlton board. But, it is the proof that we need to look elsewhere. The mids/forwards look like they are popping up, but to date the defence cupboard is threadbare

He hasn't been in my squad since I read the Carlton board. But, it is the proof that we need to look elsewhere. The mids/forwards look like they are popping up, but to date the defence cupboard is threadbare
We've only had 4 games plus another 1 with squads named. Coffield is a probability and we'll wait to see who the remaining teams give us.

Richards/Smith from the Bullies? They lost a couple of defenders to retirement last year.

Watson played for us on the weekend; I'm not convinced he's ready yet (particularly with Jetta back - we can carry one but not both imo) but he might be an in-season downgrade option.

Finlayson seems to be a viable bench option, Cumming is popular and Buckley is in the mix for one of the small forward roles at GWS.

There seem to be a few options, just a question of whether they'll score well enough to justify being on field.

There seem to be a few options, just a question of whether they'll score well enough to justify being on field.

Or whether they get enough games..... Finlayson is promising as he took the kick outs against the Swans last friday evening.

Can anyone convince me that Ellis is going to average 90+ this season?

He won't. Just because he has Def status, doesn't mean that he will improve this year. If there was a Richmond player I thought could improve in the backline, I would pick Vlastuin over Ellis

Can anyone convince me that Ellis is going to average 90+ this season?
He won't. Just because he has Def status, doesn't mean that he will improve this year. If there was a Richmond player I thought could improve in the backline, I would pick Vlastuin over Ellis
Wait and see his role imo, I'd never write off a durable player entering his prime who has been relevant previously.

If he goes big early then he could be an affordable early upgrade, like what Yeo was last year for whoever went there

Wait and see his role imo, I'd never write off a durable player entering his prime who has been relevant previously.

If he goes big early then he could be an affordable early upgrade, like what Yeo was last year for whoever went there

An upgrade I could agree with, but, not starting him.

Anyone considering Ciaran Byrne?

I've just mixed up my structure and brought him in as D4 to to fit Coniglio at M7.

He's best 22 and not a lot more than a fully priced Rookie. Some on the Carlton board think he'll get a bit of Docherty's role (However my gut feel is no one person will solely benefit). He could average 65-70 which isn't too bad for someone at his price, I can top up my midfield and with all the uncertainty in the defence, there's an opportunity to wait and see who to jump on later

Last edited:
I'm considering Caleb Marchbank again. Did well in JLT1, so an interesting proposition with no Docherty.
I am as well.. Jones is a lock for full back and Bolton has said weitering will be playing down back as well. I can see him playing centre half back which means marchbank will play loose often and he loves to peel off his opponent. Marchbank is a lock to take 8-10 marks a game. The biggest question is, will he be able to get 20-25 touches instead of 14-18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i've got my eye on 499k Maynard (COL) who looks to be playing midfield this year

price is a bit of a turnoff considering Brayshaw (MEL) is 426k, so like Marchbank, Maynard would need to lift his game to 90+ to become a keeper

What are peoples thoughts on Yeo?

Outside Laird he's the one defender who can go big. But can also easily go on solid 80-90 runs which make him no better than the next group of players who are a decent amount cheaper (specifically probably Hibberd i'm constantly swapping him with).

Off season surgery worries me that he may start slow but im also keep to have the top 2 players (predicted) in each position to start the year (rucks excepted). So in that case whose 1-2, Laird im locking in but it is Yeo, Simpson , Hibberd

What are peoples thoughts on Yeo?

Outside Laird he's the one defender who can go big. But can also easily go on solid 80-90 runs
When he's not being played as an inside mid he is fantasy gold. From what I've seen / read / heard in the off-season WC intend to play him in the HB sweeper role. Intentions are great and all, but when the s**t hits the fan mid season and the Eagles are low on mids I'll be you find Yeo rotated in there.

Off season surgery worries me that he may start slow
He's had cleanup done on the shoulder the past 3 seasons.

Half time of the collingwood/doggies game and Murray is now on my pine. Mihocek is scratched. Naughton is alright, but not worth the price I don't think. go you pups thoughts on Naughton?
At his price it's either him or Pearce, can't have both

Will score 40-50s most weeks and 70-80s others

Crisp has been in for me all off season but after 2 quiet JLT games plus the form and likely inclusion of Murray off HBF and talk of Adams to HBF im getting a little worried. At the moment it is 2 of Yeo, Crisp and Hibberd and have erred to the other 2 for now.

what are peoples thoughts on Crisp?
Anyone have any info on if he is still likely to spend most his time across that back flank where he scores his best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back