Position 2018 RDT Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Treloar had a down year in 2017 especially on the efficiency front, butchering the footy even more so than his usual standards. Yet he still managed to score respectably in DT. So I expect him to improve on his 2017 average even if it is marginally. And I agree there is a chance he could crack 115+ and finishing a top 8 mid if things go well. So it's hard for me to see him as anything but a nice value pick in 2018.
Ive been a big fan of his in DT/SC since about 2014 I think, where he showed he was going to be a future star at GWS

If he can get back to 2016 form or better it then hes up there with Zerrett and a few others to get a spot on the podium with Titchell I reckon.

Ive been a big fan of his in DT/SC since about 2014 I think, where he showed he was going to be a future star at GWS

If he can get back to 2016 form or better it then hes up there with Zerrett and a few others to get a spot on the podium with Titchell I reckon.

Yeah I think he'll be 110+ minimum this year, if he can stay fit he should have some huge games for the pies.

Yeah I think he'll be 110+ minimum this year, if he can stay fit he should have some huge games for the pies.
A trend I noticed with his scoring at the Pies compared to his time at GWS is he's way more consistent at Collingwood, normally hitting that 90-130 range without really going mega yet, but I think he went 140-150 a few times at GWS, but probably had a few shockers in between too.

If he can go 140-150 3-4 times this year and keep his floor at a respectable 80-90, then it could propel him to that 115 uber level, like what Zorko and Zerrett have gotten to recently.

The more I think of it, the more I can see Coniglio averaging around that awkward 95-100 mark which doesn't make him a great M6 to start with.
I think you can legitimately go either way on Cogs. You are probably getting a 15-20pt discount on him and with GWS having a relatively soft opening draw for a top 4 caliber side, his owners could snag some fairly tasty scores early.

However he's unlikely to finish anywhere near a top 10 mid imo and worst case you may need to "upgrade" him if his scoring stalls in the second half of the season or dare I say it gets injured again. He's currently in my side due to the value he presents (much better than AFL Fantasy btw) but depending on how the rookie situation shakes out next week I may ditch him at the final hurdle.

I think you can legitimately go either way on Cogs. You are probably getting a 15-20pt discount on him and with GWS having a relatively soft opening draw for a top 4 caliber side, his owners could snag some fairly tasty scores early.

However he's unlikely to finish anywhere near a top 10 mid imo and worst case you may need to "upgrade" him if his scoring stalls in the second half of the season or dare I say it gets injured again. He's currently in my side due to the value he presents (much better than AFL Fantasy btw) but depending on how the rookie situation shakes out next week I may ditch him at the final hurdle.
Not too many will finish with an M8 in the top 10. A 100-105 average should be sufficient for a final M8.

Joel Selwood is still one I find interesting at his price.
Priced at an average of 94
If you remove the 2 games where he got injured (2, 64) then his average is 102.6
In this, he had 3 strong tags from Greenwood, Hutchings and Kerridge. Taking these out of the equation he averaged 113.4

You would hope with Dangerfield, Ablett and an improving Duncan in the midfield he might be able to escape those horrible tags he got last year.
His last 5 seasons he has played 18, 22, 20, 22, 22 games respectively (94% of games played). Not bad given all the injury issues he has had in the past.

Joel Selwood is still one I find interesting at his price.
Priced at an average of 94
If you remove the 2 games where he got injured (2, 64) then his average is 102.6
In this, he had 3 strong tags from Greenwood, Hutchings and Kerridge. Taking these out of the equation he averaged 113.4

You would hope with Dangerfield, Ablett and an improving Duncan in the midfield he might be able to escape those horrible tags he got last year.
His last 5 seasons he has played 18, 22, 20, 22, 22 games respectively (94% of games played). Not bad given all the injury issues he has had in the past.
2014 wouldve been his last 105 year though and the only gun he played with back then was Stevie J.

I have owned him most years since I started playing SC, but even over there he isnt uber anymore, reckon Danger, GAJ, Duncan, Menegola etc steal points away.

Also last year, yes he had the concussion and foot issue, but he scored a mega 175 that inflated his price too, he has 120s 130s in him but 175 was way above his normal big games.

Reckon Parker and Steven are better picks at a similar price, and I dont rate him either but perhaps Duncan carries on with the accumulation with attention going elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Rischitelli at 290k. Haven't seen him discussed much if at all.

Won't be getting him myself, but wouldn't be surprised if he rises in price quite quickly.
Has been in and out of my side for M7, but the extra cash I need for him sees me use it on them expensive back rookies or forward rookies, plus every chance Brayshaw outscores him or goes head to head on value.

Reckon he'll be a much better onfield pick than Dow or LDU though if some are going a 5 premo midfield

Has been in and out of my side for M7, but the extra cash I need for him sees me use it on them expensive back rookies or forward rookies, plus every chance Brayshaw outscores him or goes head to head on value.

Reckon he'll be a much better onfield pick than Dow or LDU though if some are going a 5 premo midfield

There are enough rookies, and decent rookies in the mids this year to easily take 5/6/7 into rd 1.

There are enough rookies, and decent rookies in the mids this year to easily take 5/6/7 into rd 1.
The trouble is balancing that with the notion that the best scorers come from the middle and batting as deep early on will be a benefit if you pick the right 100+ scoring picks.
Batting 5 or 6 deep (with players capable of 100+) is probably a good place to start with, whilst ensuring you aren't taking any ridiculous risks elsewhere

Right now I'm weighing up 5 deep in mids + Stef R1 or 6 deep in mids + Lycett. Leaning the latter because the math works out in favour of it.

The trouble is balancing that with the notion that the best scorers come from the middle and batting as deep early on will be a benefit if you pick the right 100+ scoring picks.
Batting 5 or 6 deep (with players capable of 100+) is probably a good place to start with, whilst ensuring you aren't taking any ridiculous risks elsewhere

Right now I'm weighing up 5 deep in mids + Stef R1 or 6 deep in mids + Lycett. Leaning the latter because the math works out in favour of it.
this is my exact debate also.

I love the look of the 6 deep with genuine top options (then looking for value from injuries for the last 2 spots). If Danger was fit this would be an easier choice as it would leave me without a must have to chase early from my predictions, having a less clear 6th pick makes it harder

Anyone else think they will start with Danger.

I know I shouldn't but im still tempted. I just want to have the big mids I see as must have and not worry about having to save/find coin for them in trades! The ntrades can focus on the cheaper lines and/or value picks from injured games reducing their rolling average etc

If he plays I will pick him (but worry about a late out)

Thinking that if I have a midfield E in the earlier games who happened to jag an 80 plus then id take that and pick Danger even if he wasn't named. If as is more likely the mid E scores 50-60 then less likely and downgrade Danger to a Duncan, maybe a Treloar (if say Barry were my rookie and played before the Pies), etc.
If Danger were named bu a late out and didnt want to keep him then it'd leave it down to Duncan (or Parker but don't want to go there really)

I know I shouldn't but im still tempted. I just want to have the big mids I see as must have and not worry about having to save/find coin for them in trades! The ntrades can focus on the cheaper lines and/or value picks from injured games reducing their rolling average etc

If he plays I will pick him (but worry about a late out)

Thinking that if I have a midfield E in the earlier games who happened to jag an 80 plus then id take that and pick Danger even if he wasn't named. If as is more likely the mid E scores 50-60 then less likely and downgrade Danger to a Duncan, maybe a Treloar (if say Barry were my rookie and played before the Pies), etc.
If Danger were named bu a late out and didnt want to keep him then it'd leave it down to Duncan (or Parker but don't want to go there really)

He is a quality player, but for me he is to much of a risk with other Mids performing really well and fully fit during the pre-season. Of the uber premo's you have the likes of Titch/Merrett/Zorko/Kelly/Adams/Duncan/etc..... and then players like Neale/Parker/Cripps/etc.... at the lower price point I am leaving him out.

I think this year he will be high risk/high reward to start off with. For me, if he dominates the first 2 rounds I may burn one/two trades to bring him in.

I was already 50/50 on him before the hammy tweak but he's a definite no for me now. Yes he will likely finish a top 4 mid and will need to be in everybody's sides sooner rather than later but you can't pick em all and I'd rather go with a fully fit Titch, Zerrett and Dusty M1-M3 combo myself.

Plus there is that added uncertainty of just how the introduction of Gaz changes the scoring output of Danger. He's such a beast up forward that it more than likely won't adversely impact on his fantasy scoring at all but there is still an element of doubt there that we just won't know for sure until they are all playing together.

I think his selection is a bigger issue in Supercoach where there is daylight between him and the next guys down in Dusty/Titch, where as he is just another ultra premo in Dream Team. Also the captain's loophole in Supercoach makes him an easy perma-captain if your VC doesn't produce.

Last edited:
When you combine the interrupted pre season with a new team and his injury prone history, it amounts to a no for me.

But you gotta take risks in this comp if you want to finish high. He is high risk high reward.
I'm rolling the dice on him in AFL Fantasy but there is too much risk for me in limited trade formats like RDT as there is a high chance you will have to burn a trade on him at some point in the season either due to injury or underwhelming scoring due to a change of role at a different club. Obviously I'm anticipating Rocky will work out on some level or else I wouldn't even bother with him in AF.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back