Player Watch 2018 retirements and delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

swiftdog

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Blair, Oxley, Smith, McLarty delisted by Collingwood. Kirby has retired due to his heart issue. A shame for Kirby, he showed real talent but health needs to come first. McLarty maybe a touch unlucky given he’s a key position player that only spent 2 years on the list. He didn’t get a senior gig but he might be worth a lifeline to another club, VFL watchers seemed to think he was coming along well. No surprises with the other three players. Smith (24) and Oxley (26) are both Queenslanders, maybe Gold Coast could be interested in one or both as DFAs? Smith could be a solid-type if given a good run at it, he could be worth a shot I think.

Thomas and Mihocek set to be promoted from the rookie list to the senior list.

Broomhead and Murray set to be delisted and redrafted as rookies (provided they’re available at Collingwood’s selections). Murray is an interesting case if he gets found guilty (and gets a 2/3/4 year sentence). I imagine that Collingwood would no longer be obligated to keep him on the list in that case?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was in the same period that Carlton traded pick 7 for Jaksch, Whiley and Boekhorst

I know it's popular to blame SOS but surely more than one person was responsible for the generally diabolical drafting and recruiting decisions of Carlton in the past few years.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know it's popular to blame SOS but surely more than one person was responsible for the generally diabolical drafting and recruiting decisions of Carlton in the past few years.

The Wiley/Jaksch/(#19)Boekhorst for #7 trade was by Rogers the year before SOS came back to Carlton. I still remember SOS shaking his head in disbelief during the draft when Carlton reached for Boekhorst with #19. Might have been the thing that made him want to come back to the club. Either way, his recruiting/list management has been very good since he's been at Carlton, don't know why you're even including him in Carlton's previous bad trading & recruiting.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have no idea what was happening behind the scenes but Boekhorst was looking on an upward trend towards the end of 2017. Unless there were off-field reasons at play to go to the extent of delisting him and taking on players of the calibre of Shaw and Mullett was just bizarre.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
So you equate Rioli with Hitler now he has left the Hawks?

And they say Crows fans rip into players that leave...even we wouldn't go there and to be fair, Lever pretty much had the haircut for us to make the comparison...

My point was people will believe anything they want to believe, I just didn't realise I needed to spell out the bleeding obvious :rolleyes:

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back