Player Watch 2018 retirements and delistings

SuperSteele22

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why? He’s not up to it.
If it were a top club with winning habits and an established team who cut Freeman it’d be harsh but understandable. The fact that it’s St Kilda that can’t find a single spot for him is what makes it a questionable decision considering the amount of genuine mediocrity they have on their list.

IluvHarvey

Team Captain
Jul 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If it were a top club with winning habits and an established team who cut Freeman it’d be harsh but understandable. The fact that it’s St Kilda that can’t find a single spot for him is what makes it a questionable decision considering the amount of genuine mediocrity they have on their list.
Disagree. Good Teams have the luxury of carry players like this.
Unfortunately, the Saints need to get some people who can consistently play to turn their form around.
Feel sorry for Freezer but I guess 2 games in three years will not provide the impact we need.

North usually do it while they are still playing.

Rumour has it the runner came out to Hartung during the VFL match on the weekend to inform him *

*Dramatization, may not have happened

vicpride

Club Legend
May 11, 2014
Geez Hugh Goddard and Collins had a lot of hype coming into the system. Unfortunately i think the bigger bodies always get overrated early before the others catch up.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Was Freeman any good in his two games? I didn't watch either.

Him making it back and finally cracking a game is great, but he did get a game with a team that was already done for the year so it's not quite the same as Menzel or Alex Johnson trying to win back spots in good sides.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Was Freeman any good in his two games? I didn't watch either.

Him making it back and finally cracking a game is great, but he did get a game with a team that was already done for the year so it's not quite the same as Menzel or Alex Johnson trying to win back spots in good sides.
He was ok but couldn’t get out of a jog or kick over 30m. He got dropped and went back to the VFL and was injured before half time again. He was far from dominating the VFL too.
Awesome to see him get an AFL game on the back of his hard work, but he’s never gonna be up to it imo. Hopefully gets a rookie spot somewhere but for people to say we as a club should be ashamed for delisting a guy who was gifted 2 games in a 6 year career are idiotic.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
You'd hope that for Freeman's sake and for any other player being de-listed didn't come as a giant surprise. The older guys at Freo have known it most of the year, so it's not like Danyle Pearce or someone being cut is a shock. With Freeman there's every chance he's known for a while he probably isn't going to get another contract, but then again it is St Kilda so who knows.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
He was ok but couldn’t get out of a jog or kick over 30m. He got dropped and went back to the VFL and was injured before half time again. He was far from dominating the VFL too.
Awesome to see him get an AFL game on the back of his hard work, but he’s never gonna be up to it imo. Hopefully gets a rookie spot somewhere but for people to say we as a club should be ashamed for delisting a guy who was gifted 2 games in a 6 year career are idiotic.

I don’t remember entirely but wasn’t there some....talk....around his own injury management when he departed from Collingwood?

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Pretty sure Goddard hasn't definitively announced he'll retire. Just won't be playing with Essendon next year.
He will take the Mitchell path and get a season under his belt as a player / coach then move into coaching full time as an assistant till he takes over at the saints in 5 years time

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Surprised Goddard got nowhere TBH
Injuries killed him, finally got back to some form in the VFL this year and we delisted him. Have Carlisle, 1 more year of Nathan Brown and Logan Austin as our other key backs. Absolutely baffled by the decision to delist him.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Injuries killed him, finally got back to some form in the VFL this year and we delisted him. Have Carlisle, 1 more year of Nathan Brown and Logan Austin as our other key backs. Absolutely baffled by the decision to delist him.

Wouldn't be surprised if they give Goddard a rookie spot if he doesn't get an opportunity elsewhere. The Freeman decision baffles me... not that I think he is a star but why flick him after all the perseverance when he actually gets on the park

Yep missed them

So lions, blues and freo yet to delist

It might be their only delistees. Their draft picks this year aren't spectacular, by the time they get to their third pick it could be in the 100s.

I believe each club is required to delist three from their main list at a minimum? If so, Freo could indeed be done.

some of the replies are more embarrassing, Freeman being gifted 2 games and Goddard 1 as farewell.

Freeman has lost all pace, His main attribute, and average kicking skills always meant he was going struggle. 2 gifted games of questionable output in 5 years and some think all the fault lies with the club for him not making it.

Goddard never regained speed after the achilles injury, was always a slow player but now is plainly just to slow for AFL as a KPP. If you thing Nathan Brown was slow then Hugh is even slower.

Back