Prediction 2018 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do they play him?

RS winners tend to be facilitated by having a set position.

Buckley will probably have him everywhere, and this will affect his chances.
Won’t he play high half forward with stints in the middle. He is great around goals and could be eye catching with some quality goals.

Won’t he play high half forward with stints in the middle.

Highly likely, and it's not a position that hands out RS's.

He is great around goals and could be eye catching with some quality goals.

The kid has a ton of talent. I would personally plonk him deep forward and team him with Moore as a psuedo full forward.

Given how important it is in today's footy and Collingwood being lacking in this area, I reckon I'd play him forward, with one instruction- tackle, chase and harrass, and then tackle, chase and harass some more. And when you're done with that, tackle, chase and harass.

He has the endurance and speed to do it, has the long arms and has also shown an ability to tackle a bunch in the juniors (remember he had 13 tackles in one game for Eastern last season). Goals will come naturally, as that's just what he does.

Given how important it is in today's footy and Collingwood being lacking in this area, I reckon I'd play him forward, with one instruction- tackle, chase and harrass, and then tackle, chase and harass some more. And when you're done with that, tackle, chase and harass.

He has the endurance and speed to do it, has the long arms and has also shown an ability to tackle a bunch in the juniors (remember he had 13 tackles in one game for Eastern last season). Goals will come naturally, as that's just what he does.

His marking makes him a lot more than a defensive forward.

This kid has all the tools to be a proper offensive weapon.

His marking makes him a lot more than a defensive forward.

This kid has all the tools to be a proper offensive weapon.
I realise he'll be more than that, but for year one I would just want him to focus mainly on the defensive stuff, as Collingwood need that in a big way. It won't stop him from taking marks and kicking snags.

Graham is just hype from the GF but hype does help for this award
Rayner isn't fit enough to play mid or to impact up forward against AFL level defenders
Glass that high is laughable
Bolton isn't a chance as a 5th or 6th string small forward
Inb4 mad Richmond supporters

Agree on Bolton. He'll probably struggle to get enough games. Perhaps a few games filling in for injury and maybe even earn a spot in the team by the end of the year, so could get a nomination, but wont win the award. (fair chance he'll still qualify in 2019, and be a chance then though).

Graham is more than just GF hype, although as you say, that'll certainly help. He's a good player who would have played far more last year if it wasn't for injuries. The knock on him is that he's got a big/mature body already, leading to doubts about how much upside he's got, but again, that wont stop him looking good in 2018....Add that to the GF hype and he's got to be a chance. I doubts he's going to be a superstar in the long term but the stars are aligning quite nicely for him to get the rising star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedee at $34 with TAB. If he can come straight in like they are saying that could be value. Coming into his 3rd pre season. There’s a few others in that boat with Francis Weideman and Balic among them. Although I’d say Doedee may come straight in as the interceptor.

Witherden will be hard to beat if he plays like last year.

Doedee at $34 with TAB. If he can come straight in like they are saying that could be value. Coming into his 3rd pre season. There’s a few others in that boat with Francis Weideman and Balic among them. Although I’d say Doedee may come straight in as the interceptor.

Witherden will be hard to beat if he plays like last year.

Whilst I'd like to agree, I think it'd be unlikely, primarily because I feel like he will be made to earn a spot in the best 22.

I hope he does mind you, his talent is off the charts, but I'd be very surprised if he's playing regular footy in the first month or so. Would be likely to hinder his chances.

If I'm going to throw up an Essendon player for consideration, I'd suggest Kobe Mutch. Played the entirety of 2017 in the VFL learning to play as an inside midfielder, and was only just edged out by Heath Hocking for the VFL B&F.

If he has a strong preseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lining up early in the year for his AFL debut.

I think an Essendon player winning it in 2018 is a long shot, TBH.

Whilst I'd like to agree, I think it'd be unlikely, primarily because I feel like he will be made to earn a spot in the best 22.

I hope he does mind you, his talent is off the charts, but I'd be very surprised if he's playing regular footy in the first month or so. Would be likely to hinder his chances.

If I'm going to throw up an Essendon player for consideration, I'd suggest Kobe Mutch. Played the entirety of 2017 in the VFL learning to play as an inside midfielder, and was only just edged out by Heath Hocking for the VFL B&F.

If he has a strong preseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lining up early in the year for his AFL debut.

I think an Essendon player winning it in 2018 is a long shot, TBH.
Begley has an ok chance.

Everybody who doubts Witherden as the favourite needs to go back and watch his match footage. The guy is a star. If Hogan and Mcgrath were back in their eligible year for this season, I still wouldn't bet against Witherden. He's very special.

Witho is a great player and will be a star but Cedric Cox played really well last season also and I feel he is flying under the radar and needs to put in the mix also my smokey for the R.S

Remove this Banner Ad

Back