Prediction 2018 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson has played a few shockers this year but no one says anything about that.
This whole thread is full of Lions supporters making constant reference to them, the post directly above yours makes reference to them, you yourself make reference to them in your own post....

Worpel this week for mine despite Sier arguably having the better game. Got robbed a few weeks back and at this stage of the year selectors tend to hand nominations out for ‘body of work’ rather than a game in isolation (not that he didn’t have a very good individual game this week, hilarious to see him embarras Selwood too).

Just on Sier, his 27 disposals and goal came from 67% gametime from memory. When he builds up his tank this kids gonna be a freaking genius. Watch this space.

Worpel this week for mine despite Sier arguably having the better game. Got robbed a few weeks back and at this stage of the year selectors tend to hand nominations out for ‘body of work’ rather than a game in isolation (not that he didn’t have a very good individual game this week, hilarious to see him embarras Selwood too).

Just on Sier, his 27 disposals and goal came from 67% gametime from memory. When he builds up his tank this kids gonna be a freaking genius. Watch this space.

Jesus thats a busy game for only playing 2/3.

It's funny reading these Collingwood fans thoughts because sure Stephenson scored his 2 goals, but Witherden directly created the same number of goals last night. 1 was a goal assist from a great kick out of the centre square, while the other was a fantastic defensive read and spoil right on quarter time in a Collingwood attacking chain and we scored a goal directly from that play (not only creating that goal, but probably saving a Collingwood shot on goal).

Probably sums up what Witherden is up against when people are raving about Stephenson getting 25 disposals (with a fair chunk of these were off the back half, something that always some how is turned into a criticism for Witherden) and 2 goals. While in the same game Witherden gets 30 disposals and creates just as many goals through his kicking and defensive plays and yet gets shouted down.

It was frustrating listening to the commentors talk about Witherden last night. They praised our ball movement skills because it results in an entertaining and high scoring brand of footy (Witherden is a big part of that) and yet were just critical on every one of his kicks that didn't come off perfectly (even ones that still hit their target).

Collingwood fans should take their blinkers off. Both had good games, but I'd argue neither were amazingly good either.
Stephenson had 25 disposals forward of centre you muppet, witherend had 30 chip scabbing across HB lol, and how many of his 30 were play ons from FB?

Paddy dow putting on a show against freo. Cerra home ground same game hasnt fired a shot

Jumped the gun there.

Stephenson had 25 disposals forward of centre you muppet, witherend had 30 chip scabbing across HB lol, and how many of his 30 were play ons from FB?

I'm sure we can agree they're both excellent young players, whom all 17 other sides would be happy to have.

From a neutral stand point, I think Stephenson was the more damaging player on Saturday night. He was one of the better players for Collingwood and in the end it was quite a convincing win. Maybe Withers stops it from being a complete blow out, but Stephenson was one of the more impactful players on a team that won convincingly. Unfortunately that does go against Withers for me.

Burton was the stand-out player last season & had McGrath covered in almost every single category, barr pissy little 2 meter handballs.....Still didn't stop all the pundits pushing for McGrath on all the footy shows & getting their man over the line, in spite of all the stats to the contrary.

This is an over the top argument. Both Stephenson and witherden are exciting future prospects and have had good seasons. Stephenson ahead for me but honestly, its the rising star so who cares.

We don't need to split hairs and get overly emotional about who might have got cheap possies in the back half or who allegedly has worse disposal efficiency plus more clangers. Most teams would love to have Stephenson and witherden and that's all that matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton was the stand-out player last season & had McGrath covered in almost every single category, barr pissy little 2 meter handballs.....Still didn't stop all the pundits pushing for McGrath on all the footy shows & getting their man over the line, in spite of all the stats to the contrary.
Not sure what has happened to Burton. Doesn't look like a miss to me.

He had a poor 1st half of the season. Been solid the past 2 months. On the weekend he was really good and at half-time along with Worpel was our best player. He is coming good. He had a fair bit of the 2nd/3rd year blues for a bit there

He's been fine in his second season...No better or worse than McGrath in fact.

The point is that the award is based on last season alone.....And Burton was the dominant candidate rather easily.....Which indicates that other criteria not mentioned are also considered (Including politics).

Every team would love to have both Stevo and Witherden. The ludicrous mud-slinging is mostly coming from offended Brissie fans after hearing their player being characterised as a ‘chip-scab’ and that the race isn’t even close. And then offended Pies fans after hearing Stevo being classified as comparatively ineffectual with disposal stats being tossed around as if they’re any way to gauge someone predominantly playing full forward/forward pocket.

The race is closer than some think, and Doedee is right up there in calculations too. Personally think Stevo has done enough and it being his first rather than second or third year will work in his favor. Also the relative difficulty of respective positions played is an important factor. Can understand arguments to the contrary too. All good players and all deserving of the award.

Every team would love to have both Stevo and Witherden. The ludicrous mud-slinging is mostly coming from offended Brissie fans after hearing their player being characterised as a ‘chip-scab’ and that the race isn’t even close. And then offended Pies fans after hearing Stevo being classified as comparatively ineffectual with disposal stats being tossed around as if they’re any way to gauge someone predominantly playing full forward/forward pocket.

The race is closer than some think, and Doedee is right up there in calculations too. Personally think Stevo has done enough and it being his first rather than second or third year will work in his favor. Also the relative difficulty of respective positions played is an important factor. Can understand arguments to the contrary too. All good players and all deserving of the award.

It's spelt Stepherend. Get it right

How many metres gained to Witherend have? Stephenson was game high for Collingwood with over 500.
That's pretty good effort for a forward. He did play a good game.

No doubting Witherden didn't have one of his best games of the year. But he averages 425m gained per game across the whole season, with multiple games over 600m and 700m gained... he is 12th in the whole league for meters gained.

I find this an interesting comparison (Witherden vs Hurn), both play very similar roles and yet one is in AA contention and the other is getting criticised by some (mostly Collingwood fans) on this thread:

upload_2018-8-13_16-39-14.png

It would be interesting to see if Stephenson can be compared as well to players in his position who are in AA contention...?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back