Pendels was robbed
Stepho will get robbed

Never not once has there ever been any collingwood input in anything

All aussie
Team of century
Rising star
Mark of the year

Gee pattern emerging

I can't answer that but maybe if you make enough angry, poorly constructed posts in this little corner of bigfooty they'll be sure to rectify it next time?

We may have less members and might not be playing finals but at least we have 2 rising star winners and more mark of the week nominees.
Yep you dine out on that

Chewy and flavoursome
We get more to training

Pr machine in full flight

No idea why anyone would begrudge Worpel nomination this week. Had a ripping game and was robbed by Higgins’ nom a few weeks ago. Sier will get a nomination if he gets another 20+ this week imo.

He's not as good as Laird who should be all australian but he's up there with guys like Hurn, Simpson, Shaw, Houli, etc. in that distributor role. And it's reflected by his metres gained and score involvement averages.
No.

cd4089620df5ddc6faf399ecf538934b.gif

Worpedo!

Although i find Sier a little unlucky, 27 and 5 tackles is probably equal to 23 and 8 tackles but the goal he kicked might have pushed him over if not for the amount of hype surrounding worpel this week.

And 9 inside 50s.

Having said that, I think the award should be limited to those having their 1st year at a club. Those who have been on club lists longer have a massive advantage.

The argument is;

Stephenson - kicks goals in a winning, high scoring team
Witherden - in the top bracket of rebounding half backs

Depends what you value more. Being in the top handful of small forwards at a winning club or being in the top handful of rebounding defenders in the league.

My personal view of that half back is a much easier position to play. Does Witherton man up each game? Half backs also accumulate a lot of possessions these days with chip kicks around the backline.

I noticed you referenced Stephenson with ‘kicks goals in a winning, high scoring team’.
Why wouldn’t you reference Witherden with ‘gets possessions in defence in a team near the bottom of the ladder’? Insinuating Stephenson kicks goals because the Pies kick goals is not dissimilar to saying Witherton gets a lot of possessions playing for team who sees a lot of it in the backline.

The Pies forward line has been transformed this year. We had been a low scoring team even though we had many inside 50s. Maybe Stephenson has been very influential enabling the Pies forward line to completely transform. He really is the only new player to come into that forward line.

My personal view of that half back is a much easier position to play. Does Witherton man up each game? Half backs also accumulate a lot of possessions these days with chip kicks around the backline.

I noticed you referenced Stephenson with ‘kicks goals in a winning, high scoring team’.
Why wouldn’t you reference Witherden with ‘gets possessions in defence in a team near the bottom of the ladder’? Insinuating Stephenson kicks goals because the Pies kick goals is not dissimilar to saying Witherton gets a lot of possessions playing for team who sees a lot of it in the backline.

The Pies forward line has been transformed this year. We had been a low scoring team even though we had many inside 50s. Maybe Stephenson has been very influential enabling the Pies forward line to completely transform. He really is the only new player to come into that forward line.

Because anyone can possessions. Walker has been getting 10 marks a game in our backline but Witherden it's about quality as reflected in his score involvements. Put Witherden in Collingwood's side and it would be similar. Put Stephenson in a team like Carlton, Gold Coast, Freo or the Saints and he wouldn't even be in contention for the award.

Because anyone can possessions. Walker has been getting 10 marks a game in our backline but Witherden it's about quality as reflected in his score involvements. Put Witherden in Collingwood's side and it would be similar. Put Stephenson in a team like Carlton, Gold Coast, Freo or the Saints and he wouldn't even be in contention for the award.

So you say. He would be playing midfield at those clubs and would probably accumulate air more possessions.

So you say. He would be playing midfield at those clubs and would probably accumulate air more possessions.

Collingwood posters ability to avoid logic is impressive.

How many rising star nominees this year have been playing midfield? How many recent winners have played midfield (and how many have been skinny as a stick)?

He hasn't shown anything to indicate he'd be a better midfielder than Dow, Cerra or Brayshaw and none of them are in contention despite being more physically mature.

Stephenson is very fortunate to be playing forward pocket in a team like Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hasn't shown anything to indicate he'd be a better midfielder than Dow, Cerra or Brayshaw and none of them are in contention despite being more physically mature.

Stephenson is very fortunate to be playing forward pocket in a team like Collingwood.

Did you follow Dow, Cerra, Brayshaw etc last year?

I seem to remember this game last year where Stephenson played midfield. Dunno exactly what happened though. Might have kicked 5 and had 30 maybe.

Did you follow Dow, Cerra, Brayshaw etc last year?

I seem to remember this game last year where Stephenson played midfield. Dunno exactly what happened though. Might have kicked 5 and had 30 maybe.

Stephenson has to lowest average contested possessions of any rising star nominee this season. That would indicate that he can't win his own footy which would make him pretty useless as a midfielder.

Stephenson has to lowest average contested possessions of any rising star nominee this season. That would indicate that he can't win his own footy which would make him pretty useless as a midfielder.

Or he is just playing forward pocket? Can’t think of many forward pockets ever that would accumulate contested possessions or be known for that. Isn’t Stephenson a turned forward pocket as well? Without looking it up, I always thought he was a high half forward who would eventually move into the middle. He got played at forward pocket and absolutely killed it and now they leave him there.

Collingwood couldn’t score to save their life’s last year (from what I remember, without looking at stats again) and now they’re one of the most dangerous attacks in the AFL, id say Stephenson has a lot to do with that.

Or he is just playing forward pocket? Can’t think of many forward pockets ever that would accumulate contested possessions or be known for that. Isn’t Stephenson a turned forward pocket as well? Without looking it up, I always thought he was a high half forward who would eventually move into the middle. He got played at forward pocket and absolutely killed it and now they leave him there.

Collingwood couldn’t score to save their life’s last year (from what I remember, without looking at stats again) and now they’re one of the most dangerous attacks in the AFL, id say Stephenson has a lot to do with that.

But do you really think someone who can't win their own footy would have kicked that many goals or had as big an impact in a team that averages 60-70 points a game like Carlton or the Suns?

How many do you guys have in the 22 under 22 squad?
0, although im happy with the clubs direction.

Burton, Hardwick, Miles, Morrison, Worpul.

And if they are in 5 of the 22-44 (or lower) bracket so be it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0, although im happy with the clubs direction.

Burton, Hardwick, Miles, Morrison, Worpul.

And if they are in 5 of the 22-44 (or lower) bracket so be it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They're not in the top 40. Hardwick is unlucky. Doesn't matter so much to a club like Hawthorn though who can regularly trade for talent.

But do you really think someone who can't win their own footy would have kicked that many goals or had as big an impact in a team that averages 60-70 points a game like Carlton or the Suns?

That’s a fair question, but relates to how good Stephenson is, not how good he has played. You could say that about most rookies. I would’ve said the same about Luke Bruest and Brad Hill in the Hawthorn Glory years. Only look like good players because they’ve got all timers taking away the opposition attention and doing the dirty things, however those players have continued to kill it since those days have ended. Gotta salute to what’s been done and not what could’ve happened.

Shown just as much as the rest of the rookie midfielders this year, if not a bit more. Cerra not exactly the best contested player either and Cerra is meant the be the god of this draft.

Last edited:
No, he wouldn't. But I think your argument is highly flawed.

Just because he doesn't have a high contested possession it doesn't mean he doesn't win his own balls. He's so explosive that most of the times he just beats his opponent flat out without even needing to get into a contested possession.

For example, if he utilises his incredible speed and lead up the ground, beating his opponent by 15-20 meters, he is awarded with an uncontested mark/possession. Does this mean he doesn't win his own footy?

No, he wouldn't. But I think your argument is highly flawed.

Just because he doesn't have a high contested possession it doesn't mean he doesn't win his own balls. He's so explosive that most of the times he just beats his opponent flat out without even needing to get into a contested possession.

For example, if he utilises his incredible speed and lead up the ground, beating his opponent by 15-20 meters, he is awarded with an uncontested mark/possession. Does this mean he doesn't win his own footy?

It still relies on his team having a strong midfield to move the ball quickly to allow him to have space to lead into. And a forward line with other dangerous forwards to allow him to play on a slower defender. And of course relies on the team getting more inside 50s.

Stephenson will be a deserved winner but the thing that makes him stand out is the amount of goals he's kicked. If it was 10 less goals as you'd expect if he played in a poor team he'd be right back in the pack.

In his favour is that he's younger than his 2 main rivals but even with 10 less goals he'd still be competing with Rayner and Higgins and a few others.

It still relies on his team having a strong midfield to move the ball quickly to allow him to have space to lead into. And a forward line with other dangerous forwards to allow him to play on a slower defender. And of course relies on the team getting more inside 50s.

Stephenson will be a deserved winner but the thing that makes him stand out is the amount of goals he's kicked. If it was 10 less goals as you'd expect if he played in a poor team he'd be right back in the pack.

In his favour is that he's younger than his 2 main rivals but even with 10 less goals he'd still be competing with Rayner and Higgins and a few others.
The majority of the defenders in AFL is significantly slower than him. But then again, "relies on strong midfield", "relies on more inside 50s", doesn't that apply to literally every forward in the comp?... What's your point?

Small forwards with uncontested possesions doesn't mean they don't win their own ball, just like how outside mids with uncontested should not be underrated either. Using your logic outside mids are worthless because they rely on inside mids for the contested possessions?

Their job is to run to the right position, and do damage with ball in hand, we have inside mids for contested possessions.

On the other hand, Witherden is literally the definition of a stat padder, like I said before, an inferior version of Jake Lloyd, who isn't that damaging either.

He had 30+ touches last week and I honestly just felt Stephenson's impact exceeded that in 1 quarter.

The majority of the defenders in AFL is significantly slower than him. But then again, "relies on strong midfield", "relies on more inside 50s", doesn't that apply to literally every forward in the comp?... What's your point?

Small forwards with uncontested possesions doesn't mean they don't win their own ball, just like how outside mids with uncontested should not be underrated either. Using your logic outside mids are worthless because they rely on inside mids for the contested possessions?

Their job is to run to the right position, and do damage with ball in hand, we have inside mids for contested possessions.

On the other hand, Witherden is literally the definition of a stat padder, like I said before, an inferior version of Jake Lloyd, who isn't that damaging either.

He had 30+ touches last week and I honestly just felt Stephenson's impact exceeded that in 1 quarter.

That in a poor team he wouldn't have kicked nearly as many goals and most likely wouldn't be in contention for the rising star.

Of course they rely on the inside mids. You can't just get uncontested possessions. You actually have to win the ball off the opponent or when it's in dispute. o_O

He pads it but he also launches a lot of our most dangerous plays off half back and is one of our most important to set up goals. If you'd watched him play more than twice this season you would've seen that.

Stephenson played better on the weekend but that's one game. The rising star isn't judged only on when the nominees play each other. Our stupid game plan of chipping the ball around hurt Witherdens performance and Collingwoods domination of contested possessions after quarter time and the fact that our only quick defender had to move to de Goey because Gardiner was injured helped Stephenson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back