Prediction 2018 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson will win. Best first year I've seen from a young 'small' forward since Rioli. Has made a huge impact in adding much needed class to a dysfunctional forwardline.
This is what Lions fans overlook. Our forwardline was a shambles last year, and Stephenson is a big reason for the turnaround. But they are acting as if he was drafted in to a superteam instead of one that was languishing in the lower middle of the ladder for four years....

He's 80kgs actually....But I do realize that at 190cm's that can make one look like a string-bean.

The point is that he is not a small forward by any stretch of the imagination....unless you were to stack your forward-line with 5 ruckmen, then you might get away with that tag.
Crumbs and plays like a small forward, therefore he is one. And he’s 188cm, not 190.

This is what Lions fans overlook. Our forwardline was a shambles last year, and Stephenson is a big reason for the turnaround. But they are acting as if he was drafted in to a superteam instead of one that was languishing in the lower middle of the ladder for four years....

I think most of us accept Witho cant win now after his injury, so congratulations on your Rising Star win.

Stephenson has played as a small forward this year. His height is irrelevant.

Well actually it kind of is.....No one who is footy literate refers to a 190cm bloke as a 'small-forward'.

If you mean he has the agility, pace & smarts one normally associates with a small-forward....then that's another point entirely.

One could say the same about Stevie Johnson, but I don't recall anyone referring to him as a 'small-forward'.

Well actually it kind of is.....No one who is footy literate refers to a 190cm bloke as a 'small-forward'.

If you mean he has the agility, pace & smarts one normally associates with a small-forward....then that's another point entirely.

One could say the same about Stevie Johnson, but I don't recall anyone referring to him as a 'small-forward'.

He’s literally playing in the role of a small, crumbing forward.

Victory at last.

To the Beams thread we go

What victory do you want there? Do you want us to accept you'll get beams back for a third rounder, and end up with Goey, Beams and Crisp, winning that trade 1000%?

What victory do you want there? Do you want us to accept you'll get beams back for a third rounder, and end up with Goey, Beams and Crisp, winning that trade 1000%?
Sounds fabulous. Time to make it happen.

It's rare that a player comes into a team with a dominant midfield and without a dominant forward. And that player being able to play deep forward and play all 22 games.

I guess someone like Wingard playing in his second season in a strong team and kicking 43 is comparable.

Hayward kicked 28 for Sydney this year.

Breust kicked 30 in his first season from 17 games.

But most players like Stephenson go to struggling sides and get midfield time instead of sitting deep forward.
Stephenson is one of our many forward options and its only a credit to him hes consistently been able to hit the scoreboard when many first year players wouldnt have been able to when given the chance.

Yeah all good efforts, but none of those guys were straight out of under 18’s when they did, all like you said second year players and bruest who was the age of a 3rd year player. Im sure if they all kicked 35 goals in their debut year they would be rising star favorites too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cashed out my witherden bet when Stephenson tore my heart out at the Gabba this year.

Witherden has been absolutely amazing this year, settled in nicely and plays beyond his years.

Still doesn't compare to a guy that's come in and played a vital role in turning Collingwood's forward line around. Been a pleasure to watch him play all season and it's been obvious for months now that he'll get it.

Rising Star prediction

5 Stephenson

4 doedee

3 Witherden

2 Higgins

1 Ronke

The one was a toss up between Ronke and Ranyer.

Stephenson
Rayner
Witherden
Doedee
Ronke

If AA selectors are also RS selectors expect KB, Richo and Spud to almost get Higgins the win...explaining he is important to how Tigers play.

I'd vote

5 Stephenson
4 Doedee
3 Witherden
2 Florent
1 Rayner

No doubt Brisbane have a couple of beauties on their hands too.

Congrats to all the nominees this year.

May you all have long and fruitful careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back