2018 Rolling All Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a real game the AA side would benefit from not having to lose 15-20% of hitouts from playing Hawkins (only potential one I can think of) as a 2nd ruck - it'd be a 1-2 punch all day. Plus the way they work to get behind the footy, neither are a defensive liability.
But they would benefit from the extra run and speed and rest of another midfielder. It goes both ways.

But they would benefit from the extra run and speed and rest of another midfielder. It goes both ways.

Theoretically if this AA side played a game it could contain Martin, Higgins, Gaff, Yeo, Beams going through the middle. Then you have the 4 best accumulators/inside mids in the comp who gut run from contest to contest in Oliver, Cripps, Mitchell and Macrae. Whitfield, Lloyd and Laird are floating around the backline, quick and skilled players ready to have spurts in the middle as needed, while Gray and Breust are up forward and certainly do their fair share of up the ground work.

Plenty of run and speed and rest there. Again, in the theoretical world where this team plays a game, does adding in Selwood/D.Smith etc make a huge difference to the run of this team?

B: Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, Shannon Hurn (C)
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Phil Davis, Rory Laird
C: Andrew Gaff, Tom Mitchell, Jackson Macrae
HF: Dustin Martin, Lance Franklin, Jack Gunston
F: Luke Breust, Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt
Foll: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Patrick Cripps
Bench: Brodie Grundy, Shaun Higgins, Dayne Beams, Patrick Dangerfield

Squad:
Robbie Tarrant, Jake Lloyd, Harris Andrews, Tom Jonas, Mark Blicavs
Kane Lambert, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Stephen Coniglio, Elliott Yeo, Devon Smith, Callan Ward, Dyson Heppell
Josh Caddy, Ben Brown, Robbie Gray, Shane Edwards
Justin Westhoff

By Team - First 22 selections (Squad selections):
Adelaide: 1 (1)
Brisbane: 1 (2)
Carlton: 1 (1)
Collingwood: 1 (3)
Essendon: 0 (2)
Fremantle: 0 (0)
Geelong: 2 (3)
Gold Coast: 0 (0)
GWS: 2 (4)
Hawthorn: 3 (3)
Melbourne: 2 (2)
North Melbourne: 1 (3)
Port Adelaide: 0 (3)
Richmond: 4 (7)
St Kilda: 0 (0)
Sydney: 1 (2)
West Coast: 2 (3)
Western Bulldogs: 1 (1)

It is my personal belief that has been as good as any small defender and it’s laregly based on the last 3/4 of the season. For the record, I don’t think he’ll make the team. A lot of the players you mention play a very loose rebound game (aside from Vlaustin who is hardly a ‘small’). As far as a true small defender goes, his balance of attack and defence is as good as it gets. Whether that is assessed as being a complete season of performance is the only drawback. He plays the perfect small defender role.

Vlastuin's the same height as players like Docherty/Witherden/Tuohy. It just so happens he takes a good mark for his height. Saad has obviously improved as the season has gone on but I'd be shocked if he (or Short for that matter) was in the squad.

I would be surprised if Saad makes the squad
I don’t recall him being beaten by his opponent this year or even outpointed in many one-in-ones. Even before he hit his straps with the confident rebounding that has lifted our team he was playing excellent shut-down roles such as his smashing of Eddie Betts in round 1. He really should be in the squad.

FB: Short - Hurley - Wilson
HB: Laird - McGovern - Shaw
C: Macrae - Coniglio - Oliver
HF: Bruest - Franklin - Sidebottom
FF: Riewoldt - Hawkins - Gunston
Foll: Grundy - Mitchell - Crouch
Int: Cripps - Ross - Neale - Gawn

Get off your high horse mate. If you don’t think that Saad is in the conversation then you haven’t been watching our games. His impact has been amazing and the only thing that has him missing is probably the first few games while he was finding his feet. We won 10 of our last 14 games largely on the back him leading the way with the incisive play that we weren’t executing early on. He is also rarely beaten one-on-one. Definitely should be there abouts. It’s embarrassing that you can’t see that.
No high horse here mate, just pure facts.

There is a reason nobody has mentioned his name in the AA conversation. He is a good player, but no AA worth on this years form

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who doesn't have Brodie Grundy as starting Ruck is simply wrong, lol.
Not really, he'll be AA but Gawn has been just as good if not better.

One of the best seasons I've ever seen at the Pies from Grundy. Was high level ruckwork but what he has over Gawn is clearances, tackles and all round play, not to mention wins.
Gawn is the clear top dog at tap work and just ahead in marking but I thought he was miles behind in the other areas, not through poor play he just isn't as talented as Brodie in that respect.
Fully expect Gawn to get the gig but it will be wrong and just group think from Robbo types.
Either way he will definitely make the team so who cares.

Jake Niall's All-Australian team
B: Rory Laird, Alex Rance, Ben Stratton
HB: Nick Vlastuin, Jeremy McGovern, Shannon Hurn
C: Andrew Gaff, Tom Mitchell, Steele Sidebottom
HF: Robbie Gray, Lance Franklin, Patrick Dangerfield
F: Luke Breust, Jack Riewoldt, Jack Gunston
Foll: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Dustin Martin
Inter: Brodie Grundy, Patrick Cripps, Elliott Yeo, Jack Macrae
Captain: Patrick Dangerfield
Coach: Nathan Buckley

Wayne Carey's 2018 All Australian team
B: Rory Laird (Adelaide), Alex Rance (Richmond), Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
HB: Elliot Yeo (West Coast), Jeremy McGovern (West Coast), Tom Stewart (Geelong)
C: Steele Sidebottom (Collingwood), Patrick Cripps (Carlton), Andrew Gaff (West Coast)
HF: Dustin Martin (Richmond), Lance Franklin (Sydney), Jack Gunston(Hawthorn)
FF: Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide), Jack Riewoldt (Richmond), Luke Breust(Hawthorn)
Fol: Max Gawn (Melbourne), Clayton Oliver (Melbourne), Tom Mitchell(Hawthorn)
Int: Brodie Grundy (Collingwood), Shaun Higgins (North Melbourne),Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong), Devon Smith (Essendon)

Slobbo Robinson’s 2018 All-Australian team
B: Rory Laird (ADE), Alex Rance (RIC), Tom Jonas (PTA)
HB: Lachie Whitfield (GWS), Jeremy McGovern (WCE), Shannon Hurn (WCE)
C: Jack Macrae (WB), Patrick Cripps (CAR), Andrew Gaff (WCE)
HF: Jack Gunston (HAW), Lance Franklin (SYD), Patrick Dangerfield (GEE)
F: Tom Hawkins (GEE), Jack Riewoldt (RIC), Luke Breust (HAW)
Fol: Max Gawn (MEL), Dustin Martin (RIC), Tom Mitchell (HAW)
IC: Brodie Grundy (COL), Clayton Oliver (MEL), Shaun Higgins (NM), Elliott Yeo (WCE)
Coach: Nathan Buckley (COLL)

One of the best seasons I've ever seen at the Pies from Grundy. Was high level ruckwork but what he has over Gawn is clearances, tackles and all round play, not to mention wins.
Gawn is the clear top dog at tap work and just ahead in marking but I thought he was miles behind in the other areas, not through poor play he just isn't as talented as Brodie in that respect.
Fully expect Gawn to get the gig but it will be wrong and just group think from Robbo types.
Its splitting hairs between them, but to argue the bolded is silly.

Yep not a fan of dual ruckman usually - but very stacked team in certain areas this year. Will push very good players in those positions to the bench only because theyve been kept out by some even better seasons.

A year where Grundy Oliver and Dangerfield had years like they did but pushed to the bench because of superior players in their position is a great viewing treat for us all!

Sidebottom doesn't deserve to make the AA team. Has been pretty mediocre this year and is a flatftrack bully. His ball use has been pretty meh.

The player from the magpies who is severely underrated and should make AA if you want a midfielder is Tay Adams.

Never gets the credit he deserves.

I don’t recall him being beaten by his opponent this year or even outpointed in many one-in-ones. Even before he hit his straps with the confident rebounding that has lifted our team he was playing excellent shut-down roles such as his smashing of Eddie Betts in round 1. He really should be in the squad.

Stephenson touched him up a couple of weeks back so much so that saad was moved off him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back