2018 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Definitely going to be a premo/ rookie strategy next year
that's what we all say around this time...

... and then preseason reports start coming out

"______ is training with the midfield group and we expect him to play a big role in the middle this season"

... and then preseason matches are played

<$300k defender> pulls out a 33 touches, 12 tackles and 145 SC points game

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

Thoughts on best long term option for a keeper league? Probably gave to break them into categories:
DEF - Stoddard, Coffield?
MID - Cerra, Dow
FWD - Higgins, Allen
X-Factor - Bonar, D.Fogarty

??

i'd say Dow at Carlton
Noting that junior form doesn't directly translate to senior scoring....

Stoddard - 63 @ TAC 2017
Coffield - 50 @ TAC 2016, 80 @ TAC 2017, 80 @ U18CH 2017
Cerra - 96 @ TAC 2017, 81@ U18CH 2017
Dow - 84 @ TAC 2016, 96 @ TAC 2017, 69.5 @ U18CH 2017
Higgins - 106 @ TAC 2016, 109 @ TAC 2017, 119 @ U18CH 2017
Allen - 73 @ WAFLU18 2016, 101 @ WAFLU18 2017, 88 @ WAFLRES 2017, 83 @ U18CH 2017

Allen seems like he could be a special player in the near future for West Coast, given their forward stock is a 30 year old Kennedy and an inconsistent Darling. He's got a massive work rate that they were talking at draft about him being a potential midfielder at times. Can see him running like Gunston or Lynch (ADE), in the near future.

Noting that junior form doesn't directly translate to senior scoring....

Stoddard - 63 @ TAC 2017
Coffield - 50 @ TAC 2016, 80 @ TAC 2017, 80 @ U18CH 2017
Cerra - 96 @ TAC 2017, 81@ U18CH 2017
Dow - 84 @ TAC 2016, 96 @ TAC 2017, 69.5 @ U18CH 2017
Higgins - 106 @ TAC 2016, 109 @ TAC 2017, 119 @ U18CH 2017
Allen - 73 @ WAFLU18 2016, 101 @ WAFLU18 2017, 88 @ WAFLRES 2017, 83 @ U18CH 2017

Allen seems like he could be a special player in the near future for West Coast, given their forward stock is a 30 year old Kennedy and an inconsistent Darling. He's got a massive work rate that they were talking at draft about him being a potential midfielder at times. Can see him running like Gunston or Lynch (ADE), in the near future.
Don't disagree .....i just looked at which clubs are likely to play Rookies for a lot of games, based on previous knowledge we have, & likely table positions

I can see Carlton play Dow a lot .....will Freo & Lyon play Cerra?

Will Richmond where they're positioned be blooding Higgins, for many games?

Don't disagree .....i just looked at which clubs are likely to play Rookies for a lot of games, based on previous knowledge we have, & likely table positions

Richmond better play Higgins.
They're 37 years away from their next flag and my team needs him.

I think by season end Higgins will be in the best 22 along with Bolton. Based on their skill they are better goal scoring options than Butler and Castagna, but I suspect selection won't be about talent but about the team and specific roles.

I think by season end Higgins will be in the best 22 along with Bolton. Based on their skill they are better goal scoring options than Butler and Castagna, but I suspect selection won't be about talent but about the team and specific roles.
I agree ....the club probably does too, only offering Castagna a 1 year contract

Bolton is "special" ......Higgins as you say will be an improvement, and has the capability of spending minutes in the midfield, which i doubt on Butler/Castagna

I agree ....the club probably does too, only offering Castagna a 1 year contract

Bolton is "special" ......Higgins as you say will be an improvement, and has the capability of spending minutes in the midfield, which i doubt on Butler/Castagna

Castagna got 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sure ? .....it was reported as a 1 year in the media?

Yep, the article was poorly headlined.
Castagna got 2 years, Townsend and Miles both got 1.

Like him. What you think of Constables chances at getting games?

Quite unlikely next season. If he's a midfielder he obviously is behind a lot of players. There's talk we'll start him as a half back flank which I'd be fine with, but even then he'd need quite a few injuries to be given a senior debut.

Kelly is the main one of our rookies. L. Fogarty is a chance too because we'll start him as a small forward and his pressure is fantastic, I just think he won't score heaps which is why I'll consider him but not nearly as high as Kelly.

Then Constable & Miers I'm not really looking at much at all.

Gregson should be very cheap after missing all of last season, he's put on a good amount of muscle, so see how he goes in JLT before possibly picking him because we'll want to play him.

DEF likes
I don't really like any defenders from the get-go, they all have flaws in my opinion. I'll still look out for:
Nick Coffield - finds the ball and uses it well but doesn't tackle and his contested game isn't strong enough yet
Aaron Naughton - ready-to-go key defenders who intercepts lots of the pill, but isn't a great kick and doesn't get that many touches
Lochie O'Brien - amazing kick of the footy but probably has the worst contested game of all draftees. Don't bank on him for many points.
Matthew Ling - will score when he touches it but his disposal count will won't always be pretty
Harrison Petty - solid intercepting defender who will play some footy for the Demons I imagine.

MID likes:
Luke Davies-Uniacke - will play every game for North if fit I reckon. He's a star.
Adam Cerra - cool and classy mid who finds it and uses it well. Will be good for regular 70-90 scores I say.
Hunter Clark - think Powell-Pepper, very good contested midfielder who should play regularly
Tim Kelly - ready-to-go Motlop replacement for Geelong. Godo user, kicks goal, should be good for an 70-80 average at basement price me thinks.
Charlie Spargo - defensive small forward and finds the ball and kicks goals. Could be a nice little DPP pig.
Brayden Ainsworth - should play a lot of games for West Coast. Very good at tackling and contested footy - the SuperCoach juice
James Worpel - absolute pig, think Tom Mitchell. Could be the Rising Star I reckon.

FWD likes:
Cam Rayner - will play early as a small forward with midfield stints. Will watch him during pre-season
Jaidyn Stephenson - goal kicking forward with a good contested mark and ball-winning. Could be a real good pick-up.
Jack Higgins - averaged the most SC in the TAC Cup. Should play a fair amount of footy for the Tigers.
Liam Ryan - 73 goals in the WAFL last year. Close to a lock.
Bayley Fritsch - the Luke Ryan of 2018, hopefully plays early footy for Melbourne
Oskar Baker - Melbourne in need of outside class and Baker offers that. Should play a fair amount of footy I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back