2018 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should be playing before Dunstan IMO who seems to play 1 decent game every 10 weeks.
Yeah he has his favourites.

Clark/Coffield should be playing every game if we want to challenge anytime soon.

Have seen coffield in a lot of teams, i know it’s a bit early but how confident are saints fans that he lines up early
Make of this what you will but then they had Armitage in the commentary box during the AFLX he said both Coffield and Hunter Clark are a good chance to line up round 1.

How many rookies get picked for R1, we all lock them in our teams, they get 5 touches and are dropped by R3?

Last season was the worst year ever for the Premo/Rookie approach as the kids did SFA and took ages to make money. If you went Mid price heavy and looked for value last year you would of been right up there if you hit on a few of your Mid price cheaper picks.

This season I think is the same and the guns and rookie strategy was fool proof when we had GC and GWS enter the league but it has turned full circle now and you need to find value in the breakout category as rookies that generate 200k are becoming rarer and rarer especially the cheaper sub 125k ones.

How many rookies get picked for R1, we all lock them in our teams, they get 5 touches and are dropped by R3?
Over 60% will fall into this category much like last season.

Last season was the worst year ever for the Premo/Rookie approach as the kids did SFA and took ages to make money. If you went Mid price heavy and looked for value last year you would of been right up there if you hit on a few of your Mid price cheaper picks.

This season I think is the same and the guns and rookie strategy was fool proof when we had GC and GWS enter the league but it has turned full circle now and you need to find value in the breakout category as rookies that generate 200k are becoming rarer and rarer especially the cheaper sub 125k ones.

The benefit of the mature aged rookie has offset the GCS/GWS introductions though. Many of the mature aged rookies and the older types who haven't impacted the AFL yet also look likely. Take your pick of any of, Dave Mirra, Brodie Miocech, Daniel Venables, Alex Morgan, Matt Guelfi, Liam Ryan, Nathan Freeman, Tom Doedee, Tim Kelly, Jarrod Garlett, Dom Barry, Oskar Baker, Paul Ahearn all look increasingly likely round 1 starters imho.

The benefit of the mature aged rookie has offset the GCS/GWS introductions though. Many of the mature aged rookies and the older types who haven't impacted the AFL yet also look likely. Take your pick of any of, Dave Mirra, Brodie Miocech, Daniel Venables, Alex Morgan, Matt Guelfi, Liam Ryan, Nathan Freeman, Tom Doedee, Tim Kelly, Jarrod Garlett, Dom Barry, Oskar Baker, Paul Ahearn all look increasingly likely round 1 starters imho.

They all may start but prepare yourself for sub 50pt scores and the inevitable drop to the VFL and most of those blokes are pushing for selection in top 8 teams besides Morgan / Ahearn and Garlett etc so they won't get long to impress and Barlow really was the one that set the precedent for mature aged rookies which not many have followed.

I just don't see much cash generation from them but we all have them filling our benches!

Remember Parsons? The most consistent rookie.
Absolute s**t bloke. Drops a 60 and 68, gets suspended. Comes straight back in and we're all like "Club rates him, he will be out to prove himself"

Nek minit: 19, 38, 47, 42 and 56 up until his bye. We all trade him out then the *er drops an 82 and 98 in the next 4 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember Parsons? The most consistent rookie.

No one should be forced to remember the failed SC Parson Project, no one!

BoldSkinnyBaiji-max-1mb.gif

Captain Newman was delicious.

Unfortunately not for me.
Bugger.
Horse did throw another curvy and didnt play Captn Newman Rnd 1 and everyone jumped off.
Just had a look and first 2 scores were 73 and 105..so we all had our chance to jump back on.
73, 105, 80, 59, 151, 93, 72, 89, 104, 90, 88, 80, SELL !...sweet. Thats the way its meant to work !

I;m not sure it was as bad a rook season as some make out. Not great, but its always tough to hold the right ones. Definitely some good ones amongst them. Greenwood and Witherden were brilliant too. Any rook going mid 80's avg over 10 or so games is about as good as we can ask (apart from that freak Barlow)

SC dreamin'...the good ole dayz when rooks went larrrrrrrggeee
rnd 8 2017.

Noooooooooooman 151

My recollection is that he was dropped for that game and was a late (Sunday) inclusion. I left him on the bench without the (e).

And that game was against NM. :thumbsdown:

Make of this what you will but then they had Armitage in the commentary box during the AFLX he said both Coffield and Hunter Clark are a good chance to line up round 1.
Did he say how HE was going ?
Cheaper than OMeara, and had a 109 season not long ago. Tempting mid pricer himself...for only an extra 140K over Coffield/Clark i'd back him to avge 90 and doesnt need to push his way into the team. More likely to hold his slot after a cpl of down games or losses when rooks can get culled early.
IFFF he's fully recovered.

My recollection is that he was dropped for that game and was a late (Sunday) inclusion. I left him on the bench without the (e).

And that game was against NM. :thumbsdown:
Yeah forgot about that already. Horse on fire. Loses the first 6 and starts getting evil. He may have made way for Rampe coming back in (??), He had a barry the week before.
So cruel.

Doubt it tbh. Richo will go with his trusted solid b citizen foot soldiers.

B: Geary Brown Webster
HB: Roberton Carlisle Savage
C: Sinclair Armitage Acres
HF: Billings McCartin Weller
F: Gresham Bruce Membrey
R: Longer Ross Steven
I: Dunstan Steele Newnes Gilbert

I remember the Newman 151 well. I had just traded the campaigner out for Bontemfraud after all those KOTD rounds.

Bont scored 99 that week and wouldnt score over 100 again for another 7 weeks, not to mention missing out on the sweet cash gen from Newman.

Did he say how HE was going ?
Cheaper than OMeara, and had a 109 season not long ago. Tempting mid pricer himself...for only an extra 140K over Coffield/Clark i'd back him to avge 90 and doesnt need to push his way into the team. More likely to hold his slot after a cpl of down games or losses when rooks can get culled early.
IFFF he's fully recovered.
Today at 3:23 PM
Not that i can recall mate, ive had him in a few times too but i cant have him and Jaeger in without completetly farking up my structure. I do think he'll be a great pod though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back