Preview 2018 ~ Round 9, Brisbane Lions vs Hawthorn, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
byNvuQl.jpg

eitM5LT.jpg

Weather: 25C - Mostly sunny. Slight (30%) chance of a shower. Light winds.

The More Things Change…

PTsxz1z.jpg

Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr was a French critic, journalist, and novelist, born in Paris (24 November 1808 – 29 September 1890), and educated at the Collège Bourbon, [weren’t we ALL?] became a teacher there. Karr went on to write 13 novels with one of, Fort en thème (1853) having some influence in stimulating educational reform. His epigrams are often quoted, but one, "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" ~ loosely translated, “the more things change, the more they stay the same”, is widely used and it seems, is still VERY relevant.

The Emotion of Going against Hawthorn

- the words “emotion,” “move,” and “motivate” all come from the same roots. They tell us what to seek and what to avoid. They are the reward and punishment system. And when connected to thoughts in the form of values, they tell us what matters to us, what’s important. They also are what bind us to each other or split us apart. - Robert Solley

zvP4O3p.jpg
photocredit - images.performgroup.com/di/library/sportal_com_au

· Luke Hodge first played against the Lions in his 10th game back in round 17, 2002 – the Lions won this game at the MCG by 56pts.
· His first game at the Gabba was in round 15 in 2003 – Lions won by 12pts.
· The Lions won in his next four games in QLD [one of, being a Hawks home game at Carrara in 2006]
· It was not until round 5, 2008 that Hodge finally won at the Gabba.
· Oddly/sadly, with the Lions still zero and three at the Gabba this year, it has now been 10 years and almost 200 Luke Hodge games since he last won here.

Changes

I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same…

2018: Our Last Three Games at the Gabba

· Round 2 – a 26pt loss to the Dees, scores level at the 10min mark of the last quarter.
· Round 5 – a 5pt loss to the Suns, half the last quarter played out with scores less than a goal apart.
· Round 7 – a 7pt loss to the Pies, and game with scores level in the last quarter, this time with less than 3min left on the clock.

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away (dream away)
In the wind of change…

Stats, Stats And Then Some More Stats…

9ZedzQe.jpg

Year to date form/total points scored by quarters, last weeks & this weeks opponent comparisons.

Quarter - WBD – BNE – HAW --> current 2018 snapshot of the season totals with comp average.
  • Q1-- 174 -- 113 -- 180 --> 163.9av.
  • Q2 – 150 -- 151 -- 157 --> 153.6av.
  • Q3 – 130 -- 151 -- 204 --> 166.1av.
  • Q4 – 172 -- 171 -- 202 --> 173.8av.

A positive worth highlighting is although we have not yet won a first quarter this year, we have actually won 3 second halves. What’s the positive I hear you ask… it’s a sign of not giving up we are fighting out games. To further highlight this, is the fact that we were only able to win 4 second halves for the entire 2017 season.

Late Mail Stats

Breust – low turnovers per disposal, just under 50% of disposals in score chain
Burgoyne – low turnovers/disposal, almost 40% of disposals in score chain
Gunstaon – low turnovers/dispoasal just over 40% of disposals in score chain
Of players how have played 7 or 8 games this season, only Impey and O’Brien have over 25% [just] of their disposals turned over.
Charlie Cameron is our leading player with disposals in score chains with just over 45% McStay and Hipwood are next two with mid 30’s percentages. Unfortunately Eric also has our highest turnover percentage.
Re disposals from intercepts, Frawley, Stratton and Sicily all sit around 40% Harris Andrews and Darcy Gardiner have the highest percentages, low to mid 40’s at the Lions, with Luke Hodge our 3rd highest in the mid 30’s.

Possible Match-Ups

Mitch Robinson to Mitchell, thinking one of Howe/Langford to Zorko/Berry. Nick Robertson to Smith, maybe just when resting forward? Sicily on himself? Possibly a 7th defender? Frawley to Hipwood, Stratton to McStay and at the other end Gardiner to O’Brien and Andrews to Roughy.

“Hey, Aqualung!”

So, if we don’t happen win… again? Then I guess it’s back to the same ‘ol, “the more things change, the more they stay the same”, same ‘ol entertainment of… just me, my bourbon, and my yazz flute, for the rest of the year.

Prediction

See ball, win ball, use ball well… do this better than the hawks and the game is ours. Sadly our ball use skills and projected players comprehension of coaching expectations are currently well below that of the hawks. Most of us fans have/want to have the belief that our team has the capabilities to be competitive but there is now an urgent need for step up and repay the supporters faith. [I'm flying up for this one, make it a good'n LIONS, one for the ages]

But... Hawks by three quarters to one.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have high hopes for Berry and Rayner but maybe a rest this week would be good. Not form related - they just look a bit banged up.

I have high hopes for Berry and Rayner but maybe a rest this week would be good. Not form related - they just look a bit banged up.

Didn't look too banged up the morning after the game to me. Sunday Morning at the VIC Lions Family day, plus they get an extra days rest on the Hawks.
dRo4gah.jpg

From those stats we really aren't far away in a lot of categories. One that stands out is our poor goal accuracy at 45%. You up that a few % and we are winning a lot more
Yep, that and scoring more than your opponents generally sets you on the road to victory. /wink

*edit -- wish I had a clear photo of the two of them jumping around inside the jumping castle with the kids! [just a couple of mesh window blurred :(]
4iac0KG.jpg

Last edited:

SonnyBoy1

Senior List
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Please drop and trade or delist Rich and Christensen
Hawks ball movement is going to absolutely murder us can see about 10 goals from the goal square
Fagan will be out coached again, probably time to make him the assistant and bring someone else in

Play Beams deep FWD a bit
Rotate the Robbos MID and Back
Bring back Mayes

Hawks by 65

Last edited:

Steva69

Debutant
Oct 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure what to expect against the hawks. l usually wait until all the heat dissipates from the after match comments to post on here. When all things are considered, I must say I admire the teams effort and their tenacity to keep trying. My question is, how much longer can they keep it up for? I really hope they can sustain it a bit longer. Good luck Lions.

Hawks ball movement is going to absolutely murder us can see about 10 goals from the goal square
Fagan will be out coached again, probably time to make him the assistant and bring someone else in

Bring back Mayes

Hawks by 65

The pre-melts on the other boards are funny but in a laughing-at more than a laughing-with sort of way. Plus, Essendon.

Let’s not import it here.

BrizzyBandit

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Bring back Mayes

Hawks by 65
Sigh...

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Bring back Mayes

Hawks by 65
I actually dont mind the idea of playing Beams deep forward, not for the whole match...but fair chunks. He has been well down on form this year, and our mids are going ok with his limited contribution.
As someone mentioned earlier, I look foward to a record amount of frees paid for blocking. wouldnt it be good to be able to have a little one on with Gill after weekends matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I had a careful look at the first half of last week and what stood out was Bont. Harris Andrews' opponent, someone I had never heard of, had the better of Harris in the first quarter but the real problem was Eagles, a second gamer, was standing Bont. This lost us the game. I bet no one remembers who Harris was playing on in the first quarter. He was a no namer.

Hawthorn have a plethora of key forwards but lets make sure that Harris starts on Roughhead.

Zorko in the first half, was playing on Jack Macrae according to Fagan's press report, further convincing me that mid fielders are over rated.

Roughhead, Gunston and McEvoy are all marking targets but Andrews to Roughhead, one of our leaders to their captain if we are to have a chance of winning.

Bring back Mayes

Hawks by 65

I wasn't going to consider delisting Rich and Bundy but since you underlined it....

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi everyone,

Can you please look after our Coach this weekend. He has had a tough week in the media and he is uncertain about his future. Anything that you could do to help him out, such as allowing us a win, would be appreciated.

I know Fages has a big heart.

Tnx.

Hi everyone,

Can you please look after our Coach this weekend. He has had a tough week in the media and he is uncertain about his future. Anything that you could do to help him out, such as allowing us a win, would be appreciated.

Tnx.

Or maybe we'll make it easier for Clarko to come be Fagan's assistant by beating the Hawks?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I actually dont mind the idea of playing Beams deep forward, not for the whole match...but fair chunks. He has been well down on form this year, and our mids are going ok with his limited contribution.
As someone mentioned earlier, I look foward to a record amount of frees paid for blocking. wouldnt it be good to be able to have a little one on with Gill after weekends matches.

I think he might finish his career on a forward flank similar to Black. He’s awful at contested footy now I think because since his last knee injury he has no core strength but his ball use is still good and he’s dangerous around goal. Unfortunately it would seem the end of his career might come a lot earlier than Blacks did.

Hi everyone,

Tnx.
What was Clarko thinking, PowerPoint?

What Gill needs is a "SlideRocket' show, preferably up the CLACKER! [please note, points made with no underlining :straining:]

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks

Bring back Mayes

Hawks by 65
absolute dross !!!

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Bring back Mayes

Hawks by 65

I'm not listening to you anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back