Preview 2018 ~ Round 9, Brisbane Lions vs Hawthorn, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paparone has had 2 good games in a row with 36 possessions on the weekend. Bell third in the NEAfL voting, gets votes every week, has definitely earned it, depending on what issues he's working on. Not everyone in the ones has earnt their spot either... time to pick the side most likely to win. 2 or 3 changes for mine.
A lot of those 36 were cheapies to be fair. I was at the game, and I'd say at least half of them were uncontested marks from sideways/backwards kicks in our back half, not exactly something that screams good performance to me. His contest work still left a lot to be desired, and his disposal isn't damaging enough for mine. He's a JAG (just a guy) who I don't really see fitting at AFL level, but then again, I've thought that of Tom Cutler in the past and he was one of our best on the weekend, so what do I know?

A lot of those 36 were cheapies to be fair. I was at the game, and I'd say at least half of them were uncontested marks from sideways/backwards kicks in our back half, not exactly something that screams good performance to me. His contest work still left a lot to be desired, and his disposal isn't damaging enough for mine. He's a JAG (just a guy) who I don't really see fitting at AFL level, but then again, I've thought that of Tom Cutler in the past and he was one of our best on the weekend, so what do I know?
Have you been to a few of the Ressies games Jake? Who has been the most impressive from your viewing?

Have you been to a few of the Ressies games Jake? Who has been the most impressive from your viewing?
Yeah I'm a north sider so if I've got nothing on and if I can make the games up this way I do. It's been interesting, the team as a whole has played well in patches, but I've mentioned this before, individually there haven't been any performances that scream AFL to me. That said, it is hard to view some of these games as auditions because we do appear to "play down" to our opposition and try and do too much sometimes when we are playing these weaker sides.

But if we're just talking about bests in general:
  1. Connor Ballenden had his best game for us on the weekend. He looked like he actually gave a s**t and worked hard to create contests and had some good 2nd efforts. Work rate and, to me, a lack of motivation/interest have been things that he seems to struggle with A LOT.
  2. Jack Frost has been really solid in games I've seen. Can't recall him losing a 1v1 contest (when he's had them), and just has controlled the defense in general really well, along with Eagles when he was in the NEAFL
  3. Bell wins a lot of ball inside and brings really good pressure, but doesn't bring much else.
  4. I've liked Starcevich. Think he's been playing mostly a half-forward who pinch hits in the mid. Provides good forward pressure, has good hands in the contest, and is a good set shot. Can struggle to get involved in the game offensively though, but his pressure can make up for it.
  5. Lester was really good inside on the weekend. I don't look at stats too much, but reckon he won a lot of clearances or at least got first hands on the ball at stoppage on the weekend.
  6. Keays was quiet on the weekend playing primarily up forward, but has been good in some other games I've seen. Gets to every contest, can win his own footy but also be that first outlet from stoppage, and can lay plenty of tackles.
Struggling to think of anymore that have been standouts. They've all done some nice things here and there, but nothing that I could say is worthy of a senior call up.

Yeah I'm a north sider so if I've got nothing on and if I can make the games up this way I do. It's been interesting, the team as a whole has played well in patches, but I've mentioned this before, individually there haven't been any performances that scream AFL to me. That said, it is hard to view some of these games as auditions because we do appear to "play down" to our opposition and try and do too much sometimes when we are playing these weaker sides.

1. Connor Ballenden had his best game for us on the weekend. He looked like he actually gave a s**t and worked hard to create contests and had some good 2nd efforts. Work rate and, to me, a lack of motivation/interest have been things that he seems to struggle with A LOT.
  2. Jack Frost has been really solid in games I've seen. Can't recall him losing a 1v1 contest (when he's had them), and just has controlled the defense in general really well, along with Eagles when he was in the NEAFL
  3. Bell wins a lot of ball inside and brings really good pressure, but doesn't bring much else.
  4. I've liked Starcevich. Think he's been playing mostly a half-forward who pinch hits in the mid. Provides good forward pressure, has good hands in the contest, and is a good set shot. Can struggle to get involved in the game offensively though, but his pressure can make up for it.
  5. Lester was really good inside on the weekend. I don't look at stats too much, but reckon he won a lot of clearances or at least got first hands on the ball at stoppage on the weekend.
  6. Keays was quiet on the weekend playing primarily up forward, but has been good in some other games I've seen. Gets to every contest, can win his own footy but also be that first outlet from stoppage, and can lay plenty of tackles.
Struggling to think of anymore that have been standouts. They've all done some nice things here and there, but nothing that I could say is worthy of a senior call up.
Thanks for all the info, Jake. Makes sense what you said earlier about Paparone. I think Lester had 15 contested possessions on the weekend. Given we lost contested possessions last week, Lester or Bell might have the best chance of a call up. Or Keays or Starcevich if we're looking for forward pressure instead of Bundy.

Thoughts on Mayes game?

Hawthorn are going to eviscerate us this weekend. They were amazingly good against Sydney and were unlucky to lose. I imagine they will be fired up and ready to make ammends.
Lions to win on the siren with hodge unloading a 60 m bomb and Fages doing a “Kenny Hinkley” in the box and going absolutely ape ****!

I'm in the "we're gonna get smashed" camp too for this weekend. I hope I'm wrong but I think they'll be much too strong all over the park.

We've been in every game except Richmond.

I expect a close contest. I don't expect the win.... but wouldn't be surprised I'd we broke our losing streak either.

Even Paps admitted when interviewed that he needs to work on his contested game and "a few other things". I'm sure he is under no illusions as to where he needs to improve. Has some excuse with his injuries but that won't last forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been in every game except Richmond.

I expect a close contest. I don't expect the win.... but wouldn't be surprised I'd we broke our losing streak either.
We also weren't really in the GWS game. We were never going to get smashed, but we were never going to win. Same as the dogs game really.

I will be totally shattered (or shatted) if we have another honorable loss.....like between 1 and 11 points.

Think we have to go for broke and play a highly attacking game.....we are soooo due for eveything to go right and our opponents to have an ordinary day out.

So

Lions by 28.

Go fellas:thumbsu:

In the Mix: Round 9
Lions
After a couple of weeks playing reserves, Sam Mayes has excelled and is close to a recall. Claye Beams and Ryan Lester are also doing all they can.

In his second Senior game, Matt Eagles made some blunders but has probably done enough to keep his spot against a taller Hawks forward line. Along with Richmond, Brisbane has the healthiest list in the competition – nothing to see here.

After a strong start to the year, Allen Christensen was not in best form against the Bulldogs. It'd be a big call to drop Christensen from the Seniors this week – he's in the leadership group – but Coach Chris Fagan demands high performance from his senior players. Mayes or Beams could look a good replacement.

Hawks
Small forward Paul Puopolo should make a welcome return to the side for the trip to the Gabba after missing four weeks with a hamstring tear. His forward pressure and ability to jag a goal has been missed.

Midfielder James Cousins took his unlucky demotion to the VFL well and played well on Melbourne co-captain Jack Viney on Sunday. Key forward Mitchell Lewis continues to play well at Box Hill.

Tim O'Orien and James Frawley were poor against the Swans. Is it time for Ryan Schoenmakers and Kaiden Brand to be recalled? The Hawks came out of the Swans game with no injuries. Schoenmakers for O'Brien and Puopolo for Will Langford.

Thoughts on Mayes game?
He was fine defensively, but he still didn't show his weapons on offense. He's one of the guys that you want getting involved offensively to do some damage rebounding out of defense, and he didn't do that against the Suns. Like I mentioned in my previous comment though, it is hard when we are playing such a weakened team, because we had open blokes everywhere so he didn't necessarily get those opportunities.

He was fine defensively, but he still didn't show his weapons on offense. He's one of the guys that you want getting involved offensively to do some damage rebounding out of defense, and he didn't do that against the Suns. Like I mentioned in my previous comment though, it is hard when we are playing such a weakened team, because we had open blokes everywhere so he didn't necessarily get those opportunities.

For mine the important thing with Sam is his confidence - based off his stats it certainly looks like his work rate is there and if he can have confidence in his ability defensively and offensively then he should be straight back in the 1s. We need another 100 gamer

He wasnt credited with a defensive 50 rebound so I assumed he'd been played up the field.

I hope we bring Sam Mayes back in and play him as an offensive wingman/half forward. I was watching some of his junior videos which reminded me of his ability when running towards goals. It seems he may be playing this role in the NEAFL and think it is worth a shot if his confidence is up and he is comfortable being back in his old position.

I hope we bring Sam Mayes back in and play him as an offensive wingman/half forward. I was watching some of his junior videos which reminded me of his ability when running towards goals. It seems he may be playing this role in the NEAFL and think it is worth a shot if his confidence is up and he is comfortable being back in his old position.
Couldn't agree more Nunez:thumbsu:. Whether it is this week or in the ensuing weeks I would love to see Sam get a good run at playing that role at AFL level. IIRC wasn't he originally moved back under Leppa to work on the defensive aspects of his game with a view to eventually going back up the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back