2018 Ruckman rankings

Who’s the best Ruckman of 2018

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am pretty curious to see where Nank stacks up compared to the rest of the league's rucks. Think he had played only 12 games before coming over and probably had a career defining season for himself after looking for more opportunities. Still quite young and probably has his best to come yet but a pretty exciting outlook hopefully.

P.S no mention of Premiership ruckman, Shaun Griggs? 6 hitouts for 2017 (averaging .02 a game). Might be a bit of a smokey! :p

My power rankings:

1. Max Gawn
2. Paddy Ryder
3. Nic Naitanui
4. Matthew Kreuzer
5. Brodie Grundy
6. Sam Jacobs
7. Stefan Martin
8. Ben McEvoy
9. Aaron Sandilands
10. Todd Goldstein

Nank and Bellchambers on the cusp

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sandilands would spank most of that list. He toyed with Jacobs last week whilst he was on, just like he has done his whole career. Kruezer for me is the #1 ruck now, with Gawn close behind. Think Sandi would be third if fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandilands would spank most of that list. He toyed with Jacobs last week whilst he was on, just like he has done his whole career. Kruezer for me is the #1 ruck now, with Gawn close behind. Think Sandi would be third if fit.

At 100% still the best. Don't think he'll ever be back to 100% again though. Those big frames don't behave or recover like normal sized people.

Similarly, despite recording similar numbers of hitouts Jacobs comprehensively beat Ryder in both Showdowns last year, taking the Showdown medal in R20.

He's an excellent ruckman, but I honestly think Ryder landed the 2017 AA ruck over Jacobs and Kreuzer purely off the tap to Gray in Port's win over St Kilda.

Gawn > Ryder > Grundy > Jacobs > Kruezer

You could make a case for Ryder > Gawn aswell but I went for Gawn. Both awsome Ruckman

Also Witts by the end of 2018 will be in serious contention for top 3 Ruckman in the comp. Very underrated imo!

It's a shame that Goldstein is so far down many people's list, but it's probably true. Unfortunate, given that his 2015 season was the most dominant ruck display seen this decade.

Similarly, despite recording similar numbers of hitouts Jacobs comprehensively beat Ryder in both Showdowns last year, taking the Showdown medal in R20.

He's an excellent ruckman, but I honestly think Ryder landed the 2017 AA ruck over Jacobs and Kreuzer purely off the tap to Gray in Port's win over St Kilda.

Jacobs' actual ruckwork is and has always been decidedly average. He's just not physical enough or smart enough most of the time. He's done a good job of smokescreening this and conning people with high hitout totals, and by getting a few extra disposals and marks around the ground (most of which have little hurt factor, as he rarely kicks goals and is a pretty mediocre ball user), but that doesn't make his actual ruckwork any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacobs' actual ruckwork is and has always been decidedly average. He's just not physical enough or smart enough most of the time. He's done a good job of smokescreening this and conning people with high hitout totals, and by getting a few extra disposals and marks around the ground (most of which have little hurt factor, as he rarely kicks goals and is a pretty mediocre ball user), but that doesn't make his actual ruckwork any better.
Jacobs a mediocre ball user? Only first rucks who'd be better would be Ryder and Martin.

1. Max Gawn
2. Paddy Ryder
3. Nic Naitanui
4. Matthew Kreuzer
5. Brodie Grundy
6. Sam Jacobs
7. Stefan Martin
8. Ben McEvoy
9. Aaron Sandilands
10. Todd Goldstein
Cant really argue to much with the list but, McEvoy has been MASSIVE for us.

Him and Mitchell have to come close to the best ruck mid combo going around.

Although 8th seems fair.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gawn 50 hitouts to Goldstein's 15.

Gawn 16 to advantage to Goldstein's 2.

Gawn also had 18 disposals, 6 marks, and 3 tackles.

No disrespect to Stefan Martin, who's having a great year, but he didn't have an opponent yesterday.

Gawn 50 hitouts to Goldstein's 15.

Gawn 16 to advantage to Goldstein's 2.

Gawn also had 18 disposals, 6 marks, and 3 tackles.

No disrespect to Stefan Martin, who's having a great year, but he didn't have an opponent yesterday.

He had two...Dixon, who should be perfectly fine as a ruck and Westhoff who apparently is a master of all positions.

Gawn vs Stefan last week, Gawn only just took the chocolates, stat wise.

He had two...Dixon, who should be perfectly fine as a ruck and Westhoff who apparently is a master of all positions.

Gawn vs Stefan last week, Gawn only just took the chocolates, stat wise.
Gawn shaded Martin, but it was close.

Dixon and Westhoff are not masters of the ruck craft. Martin should have had a day out and rightly did.

Back