Test Rugby 2018 Rugby Championship

Remove this Banner Ad

I am just not sure on his fitness status. But I would like to see him play. Especially because McMahon may not come back for the World Cup so Valentini will be our second choice 8 behind Naisarani

Yeah non idea on the fitness of him didn’t see the last few games

I know he got injured just prior to the break. I can’t find anything on it though. I think the lack of an 8 is our biggest problem

It’s a huge problem as it takes out a jumper in the line out as well.

It’s a huge issue and it’s one we haven’t fixed in a decade
The problem is Hooper and Pocock are two of our better players so with the absence on an obvious number 8 we look for a way to play both. But the problem is they are two similar they have the same strengths and weaknesses and by playing them together it highlights their weaknesses along with holding us back from developing a genuine 8

The problem is Hooper and Pocock are two of our better players so with the absence on an obvious number 8 we look for a way to play both. But the problem is they are two similar they have the same strengths and weaknesses and by playing them together it highlights their weaknesses along with holding us back from developing a genuine 8

Agreed sort of but disagree that Pocock and Hooper are similar. Hooper is more of a ball runner, Pocock is your old style in and under pilferer number 7. It's the one criticism I have of Hooper- he doesn't get enough turnovers. It's why personally I'd play Pocock at 7 with Hooper off the bench.

Playing them together isn't working and a lack of a class 8 is a huge issue. That is compounded by our locks being fairly poor. The one area we have improved is the front rowers though and the number 6, so there are positives, it's not all negative, but to beat NZ you need every part of your side working- they will exploit any weakness.

Agreed sort of but disagree that Pocock and Hooper are similar. Hooper is more of a ball runner, Pocock is your old style in and under pilferer number 7. It's the one criticism I have of Hooper- he doesn't get enough turnovers. It's why personally I'd play Pocock at 7 with Hooper off the bench.

Playing them together isn't working and a lack of a class 8 is a huge issue. That is compounded by our locks being fairly poor. The one area we have improved is the front rowers though and the number 6, so there are positives, it's not all negative, but to beat NZ you need every part of your side working- they will exploit any weakness.
You are right Hooper runs the ball more, I think he has dropped off at the breakdown. The thing with Hooper is he isn’t a big ball runner. We need some post contact meters from one of our back 3

You are right Hooper runs the ball more, I think he has dropped off at the breakdown. The thing with Hooper is he isn’t a big ball runner. We need some post contact meters from one of our back 3

Don't think Hooper was ever that great at the breakdown. When NSW won the comp in Super Rugby, Stephen Hoiles was instrumental getting turnovers. I just feel they are taking a bet each way. They want Hoopers running and Pocock's breakdown work.

Geez NZ are good. Making Australia look poor. As they have done for many a year now, the slightest of mistakes is punished with a try, and they make it look easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

27 849 at Suncorp. This game in the past would have 40k plus. Rain around Brisbane yesterday didn't help, Broncos today doesn't help. Somehow have to get these games moved to October, up against first week of finals of both codes.

Don't really watch rugby but watched the AB v Argentina and Australia v Springbok games on Saturday at a pub with some work mates and found it to be surprisingly engrossing to watch.

P.S love the Argentina top - was legit tempted to buy one, has the distinctive style the football side has but with horizontal stripes instead of vertical. Simple, but effective contrast.

The articles are behind paywalls, but reports are strong ticket sales for tomorrow's game on the GC. Just had a quick look on ticketek, only tickets left for the ends. Last time there was a game it only got 14k, should be much higher, Pumas are a lot better now too.

WALLABIES (15-1): Dane Haylett-Petty, Israel Folau, Reece Hodge, Matt Toomua, Marika Koroibete, Kurtley Beale, Will Genia, David Pocock, Michael Hooper (c), Ned Hanigan, Izack Rodda, Adam Coleman, Taniela Tupou, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Scott Sio.

Reserves: Folau Faingaa, Sekope Kepu, Allan Alaalatoa, Rory Arnold, Rob Simmons, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley, Jack Maddocks.

SPRINGBOKS (15-1): Willie le Roux, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Andre Esterhuizen, Aphiwe Dyantyi, Handre Pollard, Faf de Klerk, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi (c); Franco Mostert, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Tendai Mtawarira

Reserves: Bongi Mbonambi, Steven Kitshoff, Wilco Louw, RG Snyman, Marco van Staden, Embrose Papier, Elton Jantjies, Damian Willemse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back