Off the top of my head:

Howard
Houston
Byrne-Jones
Clurey
Bonner
Dixon
Jonas
Polec (hence why he’s getting a monster deal from North)

Howard, Houston, dbj, clurey and bonner have barely been on the list 4-5 years you would hope they have improved.

Dixon is no better than at gold coast.

Jonas got worse and then improved.

Polec left brisbane when it was a basket case. He has improved mainly because he was unsettled and unprofessional in brisbane. He hasn't improved as much as yeo and docherty who left at the same time.

The problem is our system not even our development. Other teams are better drilled. Other teams adapt better to different tactics. Other teams play some sort of structure, a ruck and a forward line. It's not hard to imagine that the players lose confidence when they have nothing to kick to. The problem is our coaching and the buck stops with hinkley.

Here's an interesting yet pointless thought exercise..

Chronologically reverse our H&A finishes under ken. Who would be happy with that? I like that it's on an upward trajectory compared to the reality, truth is I'd probably give it a pass mark and be all in on our senior players to snag a flag this year or next instead of three decades from now

2013 (2018) 10th
2014 (2017) 5th (EF Loss)
2015 (2016) 10th
2016 (2015) 9th
2017 (2014) 5th (PF Loss)
2018 (2013) 7th (SF Loss)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fair to say the club is going to need to pull a rabbit of their hat to garner some enthusiasm amongst members in the lead up to 2019. We’ve never been so flat.

In taking a glass half full approach - hammer and the cobra are back in 2019, Marshall improves and we actually win the close games. Finish top 4.

In taking a glass half empty approach - ken has emptied the well and now lost the players. I fear our recruiters have also misread the trends of the game.

Fair to say the club is going to need to pull a rabbit of their hat to garner some enthusiasm amongst members in the lead up to 2019. We’ve never been so flat.

The long off season has a way of naturally drumming up enthusiasm as the season draws closer. But the knives will be out very early on if we don't show something quickly.

Chronologically reverse our H&A finishes under ken. Who would be happy with that? I like that it's on an upward trajectory compared to the reality, truth is I'd probably give it a pass mark and be all in on our senior players to snag a flag this year or next instead of three decades from now

2013 (2018) 10th
2015 (2016) 10th
2016 (2015) 9th

If anything, the timeline for this group runs from the moment Tredrea's career ended with the club 5-0 up in Choco's final year:

2010: 5-0-11
2011: 3-0-19
2012: 5-1-16
2013: 12-0-10 (1-0-1)
2014: 14-0-8 (2-0-1)
2015: 12-0-10
2016: 10-0-12
2017: 14-0-8 (0-0-1)
2018: 12-0-10

Contrary to popular belief, Hinkley inherited a talented young group with enough games under their belt to have a breakout year and beyond with the benefit of sufficient resources and enhanced tutelage.

Whichever way you cut it, the post-14 plateau just feels wrong. It's one thing to not win a flag - the degree of difficulty is enormous - but to not even put ourselves in the frame is unacceptable.

If anything, the timeline for this group runs from the moment Tredrea's career ended with the club 5-0 up in Choco's final year:

Contrary to popular belief, Hinkley inherited a talented young group with enough games under their belt to have a breakout year and beyond with the benefit of sufficient resources and enhanced tutelage.

Whichever way you cut it, the post-14 plateau just feels wrong. It's one thing to not win a flag - the degree of difficulty is enormous - but to not even put ourselves in the frame is unacceptable.
It just hurts thinking a coach that hasn't taken us to top 4 in 6 years has so much more time to run on his contract, whilst we also appear to be facing an inevitable slide down the ladder.

I think this is a bit harsh

You think? It's like we are a rolling ball of mess - so many occasional good years from players. We really haven't been able to get all of them playing well together for years. And not enough of them to become consistently elite/good.

Perhaps it's a reflection of 1. Not enough elite talent 2. Poor leadership. 3. Bad coaching 4. Poor player development

Our ladder position/ age profile reflects this.

The age of kern alone makes for glum enough analysis whichever way it's spun, but i concur otherwise. We have underachieved for long enough, and in some ways perhaps we aren't the same club that used to dominate in the old days.

One fear I have, although its probably not the right thread, is where the administration and culture of the club will be in 10, 20, 30, 50 years as our literal links back to past glories and successes begin to pass on, if a culture and expectation of success above all else is not reinstated soon. To see the PAFC in the hands of people who know and care little about what it is to be PAFC is bad enough as it is, but imagine 50 years time when its run by people whose first memory of the club is a circa 05 teal dolphin guernsey. Its a long shot, incredibly pessimistic and the worst possible outcome of a few but it's also entirely possible, just look at ******* St Kilda and how their last century has panned out. In the grand scheme of things we are probably still in a transitional period but gee, if culture begets culture and success begets success it really is imperative that we get our arses into gear and make every second count from here on in. Also dont trade wingard.

The age of kern alone makes for glum enough analysis whichever way it's spun, but i concur otherwise. We have underachieved for long enough, and in some ways perhaps we aren't the same club that used to dominate in the old days.

One fear I have, although its probably not the right thread, is where the administration and culture of the club will be in 10, 20, 30, 50 years as our literal links back to past glories and successes begin to pass on, if a culture and expectation of success above all else is not reinstated soon. To see the PAFC in the hands of people who know and care little about what it is to be PAFC is bad enough as it is, but imagine 50 years time when its run by people whose first memory of the club is a circa 05 teal dolphin guernsey. Its a long shot, incredibly pessimistic and the worst possible outcome of a few but it's also entirely possible, just look at ******* St Kilda and how their last century has panned out. In the grand scheme of things we are probably still in a transitional period but gee, if culture begets culture and success begets success it really is imperative that we get our arses into gear and make every second count from here on in. Also dont trade wingard.

emoji24.png

2013 (2018) 10th
2015 (2016) 10th
2016 (2015) 9th

I don't know what happened in 2015/2016, but this year alone was an absolutely self-inflicted disaster. This is awful, and those responsible deserve all criticism and more. On the other hand, if we just stop shooting ourselves on the foot, we will improve greatly.

Last edited:
I don't know what happened in 2015/2016, but this year alone was an absolutely self-inflicted disaster. This is awful, and those responsible desserve all criticism and more. On the other hand, if we just stop shooting ourselves on the foot, we will improve greatly.

After almost playing off in the GF in 2014, 2015 was a very unenjoyable year for all members. If the game went for another 5 minutes we would have won.

We need speed and youth and heavier weighted players in our side. If they are too locked in with playing Rockliff, Wines, SPP, Boak, and Ebert then replace S Gray and DBJ from the first 22 and be rid of Neade, Amon, Barry, Johnson, and Snelling on the list. They are not the way to success. Bonner is also questionable in the beat 22 and Pittard is Hinkley's Frankenstein.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle are the ultimate loser club and Lyon took them to a minor premiership and a grand final.

It's actually insanely hard to put Hinkley's tenure in a positive light in any context.

Chad is not the player he was when he started. Go back an watch highlights of him in 2014. He was a freak then. Good player still now but something or a combination of things have resulted in a decline

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Chad the only one?! You could argue Wines is not the same player he was in his early years.
I don’t know what the issues are but you can’t blame just Chad for his decline in form. I couldn’t come up with more than 5 players who have actually stepped up in the last 3 years.

Chad is not the player he was when he started. Go back an watch highlights of him in 2014. He was a freak then. Good player still now but something or a combination of things have resulted in a decline

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The sad thing is that goes for a number of our players. Look at Ollie Wines circa 2014 and he has not come on in fact this year he went backward. As you post both Chad and Ollie are good players but they are also players who have the natural ability to be among the top dozen in the AFL but they are not. Maybe that is down to Coaching and a game plan that does not encourage or reward players who want to take the game on.

On the Chad Wingard trade I definitely think something happened early in the season. Maybe Chad indicated that he would look at other options once his current contract expired? Maybe his attitude wasn't all it should be? Maybe Chad felt he should have been in the midfield earlier in the season? Maybe there is a combination of those things? If Wingard's management has said he wants to move or he wants 5M over 5 years to stay then I think the Club is wise to look at a trade while we still have maximum bargaining power.

When I think of the Wingard situation the words of David Koch come back to me. In the aftermath of last year's Elimination Final loss to West Coast Koch said,
'If they’re not prepared; if they’re just playing for us because they love to play AFL, they’re not players that we want.
If they’re not prepared to win a premiership for this club, we basically don’t want them. Let us know and we’ll trade them.'

Maybe that does not fit in Chad Wingard's case but if it does we move him on.

For all those the lament the loss of impey and say how much better he is at hawthorn, give me a break he is still the same player we dumped on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

His stats have improved. He's finding more of the ball. Not getting enough of it was my gripe with Impey at Port.

Conversely Motlop is finding the pill less than he did at Geelong.

The system? Hmmm maybe.

His stats have improved. He's finding more of the ball. Not getting enough of it was my gripe with Impey at Port.

Conversely Motlop is finding the pill less than he did at Geelong.

The system? Hmmm maybe.
You can see why the idea of Impey is exciting to coaches the way he can gather, dodge and burn away from opposition as well as being decent defensively etc. but it's all a shitshow from there, lack of composure and crap footskills just make him a liability.

Great athlete but you could find plenty of those with zero composure & dire skills

Remove this Banner Ad

Back