Autopsy 2018 Season in Review

Remove this Banner Ad

If Chad was superstar we’d be a good team.
If we had a decent coach who could see he has botched the last two years with his pathetic game plan and structures we wouldn’t be wondering why all our players have turned to s**t.

You can coat a turd in glitter but......

We’re 3 goals a game off the pace. Chad improving on his already good form isn’t bridging that gap.

The system failed this year no matter how you cut it.

It’s symbiotic.

When everyone plays to the level they are capable of it creates a feedback loop of improvement in the system, which in turn improves their performance.

Like 2015 when he was all-Australian and we finished with exactly the same win-loss??
Seriously mate should we just get rid of any naturally talented footballer and put Hinkley out on the field to play. Seems to be the only one at the club that believes in/ understands this Uberfootball gameplan

It’s symbiotic.

When everyone plays to the level they are capable of it creates a feedback loop of improvement in the system, which in turn improves their performance.

Do better and then we’ll improve the system you work in? How’s that cart-drawn horse working out for us?

Do better and then we’ll improve the system you work in? How’s that cart-drawn horse working out for us?

That’s not what symbiotic means.

It’s do better and then the system you work in will improve.

That’s definitely not what it means.

Symbiotic means an interdependent relationship formed in close proximity to each other.

What do you think it means?

When the majority of the squad is down on form - thats coaching, because it means they're not motivating the players. You cant trade every player that isnt performing if that's 75% of the squad.
If the trend continues, Ken will go. Should have already, but still. His position will become untenable, whether you subscribe to the theory that the players are to blame or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t think of one player that has improved under Hinkley.
Chad would be a superstar in a good team.

Maybe Polec... but then maybe Polec improved in spite of KH :p:rolleyes:

Maybe Polec thinks.."*, i am going to improve in 2018 & that'll be my ticket out of this garbage that KH & team is dishing out for us"

Last edited:
For all those the lament the loss of impey and say how much better he is at hawthorn, give me a break he is still the same player we dumped on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

i am not saying Impey is a star at the Hawks but his stats are alot better at Hawthorn. The coach has managed to get some value..
has the Port team managed to extract 'value' from Impey?

WHICH fringe player (s) have improved at Port in 2018? yeah right

i am not saying Impey is a star at the Hawks but his stats are alot better at Hawthorn. The coach has managed to get some value..

What a waste of a good draft pick Impey has proven to be

This is what I don't understand with your Chad argument and your outlook on Hinkley.

In 2015, Chad was All-Australian, he was at a superstar level, we missed the 8, it mattered little. Now I'm not saying Chad's form is acceptable since 2015, he has been up and down like our entire list, but he was our cleanest and highest quality midfielder the last 12 weeks of this season. He was head and shoulders above Ollie, Rockliff, SPP, Ebert, Boak and anyone else we ran through there. That's not even debatable. But you've been after him since the season ended, saying a lot rests on him, but you won't put the same blowtorch on Hinkley.

Hinkley's case is this in 2013/14 he caught lightning in a bottle, same as Beverdige at the Bulldogs in 2016, but Kenny didn't get a flag to hang his hat on. We played a brand of footy no one else did, but the cracks we see now appeared in the second half of 2014. We blew a 10-1 season, and missed the top 4 and home finals that we should've romped into. The mental cracks were there in the first quarter when we kicked 3.9 rather then 9.3 and would've ended the game, but we didn't, we didn't handle the moment, and it's been a common theme since. The fightback in that game was valiant, but it papered over the earlier crack.

In 2015 we added Ryder, to play with Lobbe, it failed miserably, now we are adding Lycett to play with Ryder, it seems we are going back to that again, and resetting. 2016 we added Dixon, 17 off season we added Rocky, Motlop and Watts, missed the 8 this year. So the sum of all of these additions is one elimination final loss, that's it. Instead of being a smart football club, we gave a man who is decidedly lacking in football nous, or confidence in his own abilities and unwarranted contract extension.

Now we hear stories how Nicks changed some tactics for the GWS game etc, sorry that's Kenny's job. He is the senior coach. There are other factors in it all eg Ryder's suspension, but we as a club butchered that as REH has pointed out.

My point is this, why not point your power of analysis at Ken, a man who has had the resources, the key additions and everything else he needs to be successful, and has achieved nothing, rather then Chad not being the star he should he. It just reaks of a double standard you won't apply to Ken.

If by his stats you mean his possession count, that's true. His average possession count went up by about 40% compared to 2017. But then, his average clanger count also went up 40%. He was also twice as likely to kick a goal in 2017 than 2018. And 2017 was hardly much of a year for him starting with the fallout from the drunken escapades at Monfries' party.

He benefited at Hawthorn from playing in an established side with a core of premiership players around him, but he was not better a player than at Port.

This is what I don't understand with your Chad argument and your outlook on Hinkley.

In 2015, Chad was All-Australian, he was at a superstar level, we missed the 8, it mattered little. Now I'm not saying Chad's form is acceptable since 2015, he has been up and down like our entire list, but he was our cleanest and highest quality midfielder the last 12 weeks of this season. He was head and shoulders above Ollie, Rockliff, SPP, Ebert, Boak and anyone else we ran through there. That's not even debatable. But you've been after him since the season ended, saying a lot rests on him, but you won't put the same blowtorch on Hinkley.

Hinkley's case is this in 2013/14 he caught lightning in a bottle, same as Beverdige at the Bulldogs in 2016, but Kenny didn't get a flag to hang his hat on. We played a brand of footy no one else did, but the cracks we see now appeared in the second half of 2014. We blew a 10-1 season, and missed the top 4 and home finals that we should've romped into. The mental cracks were there in the first quarter when we kicked 3.9 rather then 9.3 and would've ended the game, but we didn't, we didn't handle the moment, and it's been a common theme since. The fightback in that game was valiant, but it papered over the earlier crack.

In 2015 we added Ryder, to play with Lobbe, it failed miserably, now we are adding Lycett to play with Ryder, it seems we are going back to that again, and resetting. 2016 we added Dixon, 17 off season we added Rocky, Motlop and Watts, missed the 8 this year. So the sum of all of these additions is one elimination final loss, that's it. Instead of being a smart football club, we gave a man who is decidedly lacking in football nous, or confidence in his own abilities and unwarranted contract extension.

Now we hear stories how Nicks changed some tactics for the GWS game etc, sorry that's Kenny's job. He is the senior coach. There are other factors in it all eg Ryder's suspension, but we as a club butchered that as REH has pointed out.

My point is this, why not point your power of analysis at Ken, a man who has had the resources, the key additions and everything else he needs to be successful, and has achieved nothing, rather then Chad not being the star he should he. It just reaks of a double standard you won't apply to Ken.

I never said Nicks changed tactics for the GWS game. I said his tactics were given the ass starting from the GWS game, after the Fremantle debacle. It was Nicks' game plan from the start of 2017 when he was appointed senior assistant. That's why just before Ryder2Gray Hinkley turned to Nicks and asked: "How the * am I going to explain that?"

That game was eerily similar to the Fremantle game this year, if you think about it. Except there was no Ryder to Gray magic to get us out of the hole.

This isn't a new thing - I thought it was common knowledge that Nicks was the architect of this style?

2015 only failed miserably because Lobbe couldn't back up the effort in ruck that he did in 2014. Everyone was expecting him to do that, but instead he believed his own press and was more concerned with recording hitouts that went to no one than putting in the second efforts and contested possessions that our game was based around.

If Wingard was hamstrung by injuries and things out of his control that reduced his capacity for effort on the field, I'd give him the same leave pass I do for Hinkley. Most of Chad's woes are self inflicted by his own refusal to apply himself.

If we trade him, it means he wasn't prepared to change.

If he stays, it means that he is.

Kochie reckons anyone is up for trade for the right price because our list has failed massively and were never good enough to make top 4.

If our team was actually decent then there would be some untouchables.

Ryder, Dixon, Rockliff, Motlop, Thomas and Watts were all recruited because we were seemingly so close to having a squad that could go all the way.

Now, just a year later, we are heading for a rebuild because this squad doesnt have what it takes?

I never said Nicks changed tactics for the GWS game. I said his tactics were given the ass starting from the GWS game, after the Fremantle debacle. It was Nicks' game plan from the start of 2017 when he was appointed senior assistant. That's why just before Ryder2Gray Hinkley turned to Nicks and asked: "How the **** am I going to explain that?"

That game was eerily similar to the Fremantle game this year, if you think about it. Except there was no Ryder to Gray magic to get us out of the hole.

This isn't a new thing - I thought it was common knowledge that Nicks was the architect of this style?

2015 only failed miserably because Lobbe couldn't back up the effort in ruck that he did in 2014. Everyone was expecting him to do that, but instead he believed his own press and was more concerned with recording hitouts that went to no one than putting in the second efforts and contested possessions that our game was based around.

If Wingard was hamstrung by injuries and things out of his control that reduced his capacity for effort on the field, I'd give him the same leave pass I do for Hinkley. Most of Chad's woes are self inflicted by his own refusal to apply himself.

1. I dont know where you're getting the idea that Nicks is the mastermind

2. Why isnt Ken the boss?

3. Why has it taken the better part of 18 months to realise that the game plan was crap?

4. Why is the gameplan now a coaches fault when previously it was the players too dumb/scared to execute it properly?

5. Why the **** are we abandoning a plan mid-season? How ****ing confusing for the players.

I never said Nicks changed tactics for the GWS game. I said his tactics were given the ass starting from the GWS game, after the Fremantle debacle. It was Nicks' game plan from the start of 2017 when he was appointed senior assistant. That's why just before Ryder2Gray Hinkley turned to Nicks and asked: "How the **** am I going to explain that?"

All of the things that have happened gameplan and tactically Hinkley has had control over, he is the senior coach, the buck has to stop with him, he could've said 18 months ago said to Nicks no I'm not on board with this tactically, and who's Nicks to argue, he should be implementing Ken's vision, not the other way round, that speaks to everything that has gone wrong, and I for one is glad Nicks has gone, it is time Ken backed himself in, he has no choice. Take some ideas from the assistants, but he is in charge, not them.

The injuries, suspensions etc Ken has had no control over, but the Bulldogs in 2016 had injuries, Melbourne do this year etc, every club does. We use them as a club as a excuse for failure. We don't try and change it, we just say oh well we were unlucky, and now we are just a nice club sitting in the middle of nowhere.

It's infuriating to be stuck in this groundhog day as club, and as passionate members of this club. I'd love it if Ken is our next premiership coach, I'll gladly eat my words and be one of the first to admit I was wrong, but the more you hear, the more depressing it gets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back