Autopsy 2018 Season in Review

Remove this Banner Ad

And Ken has coached us to 5th twice, one position away from top 4!

Sooner or later, we gotta realise, near enough is not good enough.

Or maybe sooner or later we need to realise that a player falling one goal short of an arbitrary season goal tally you've pulled out of your arse isn't a measure of their success or failure?

Or maybe sooner or later we need to realise that a player falling one goal short of an arbitrary season goal tally you've pulled out of your arse isn't a measure of their success or failure?

Nothing arbitrary about the megadeal we made to get him here, nor is 50 pulled out of anyone's arse. It's a pretty regular measure considered a very good return for one's primary KPF target in modern footy.

What figure would you consider worthwhile for his first contract? How many average goals? BnFs? AAs?

Like, let's hear some numbers.

I'm not including games played, but c'mon, what's a reasonable return for the games he is out there? What's reasonable to expect?

He's approaching 30.

Sent from mTalk

Nothing arbitrary about the megadeal we made to get him here, nor is 50 pulled out of anyone's arse. It's a pretty regular measure considered a very good return for one's primary KPF target in modern footy.

What figure would you consider worthwhile for his first contract? How many average goals? BnFs? AAs?

Like, let's hear some numbers.

I'm not including games played, but c'mon, what's a reasonable return for the games he is out there? What's reasonable to expect?

He's approaching 30.

Sent from mTalk

So to be clear, if he'd kicked one more goal in 2017, you'd consider the trade a success? Say he'd snagged one late against the Blues at home in Round 5 to turn our 90 point win into a 96 point win, that would've been the difference between him being a success or a failure as a recruit?

So to be clear, if he'd kicked one more goal in 2017, you'd consider the trade a success? Say he'd snagged one late against the Blues at home in Round 5 to turn our 90 point win into a 96 point win, that would've been the difference between him being a success or a failure as a recruit?

Yeah I'd consider it pretty cool if BIG CHARLIE DIXON managed as many goals in a season of footy as Josh Bruce playing for St Kilda, yeah.

Maybe even comparable to most overrated player ever Tex Walker.

(I am in no way suggesting that Dixon is rated the same as Walker is/was by the greater footy world... But maybe around these parts?)

Sent from mTalk

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/cbe0f18d9dae3f42e4a9f4d2d6c4b092
Kicking efficiency, that's it in a nutshell. That's what I believe is our no 1 problem this season and for a good number of years. We have to play 10-20% better than our opposition to counter our own poor kicking. I can't find the stats for kicking efficiency but I believe we have been in the bottom 2-3 every season since Hinkley took over. Hinkleys gameplan is sound, it's just that we have a core of senior players who are terrible kicks. Boaks kicking is a joke and in all seriousness he isn't in the best 22 anymore, trying to turn him into a defensive forward is laughable, wines poor kicks cost us at least one game this season (watch Viney lace it out then watch wines butcher it), spp kicking technique is sound but he goes for too much and subsequently has the worst kicking efficiency in the afl. Rockliff at least hits targets by foot but lacks penetration. Ebert is hot or cold, some weeks brilliant, some weeks abysmal. Then we have a host of forwards who have the yips & want to pass it off all the time. Then we have perhaps one reliable kick coming out of defence, rest is bombscare stuff. This year I read we were 17th in kicking efficiency. 17th. Do people really think we can be an afl powerhouse with such bad kicking skills?. Or perhaps Hinkley needs to devise a gameplan where we don't rely on senior players hitting a target by foot.
We have the big bodied mids now to match it with the best teams in the afl, like a heavyweight boxer who can go 12 rounds with the best, but we lack any counter punch or knockout punch because senior players continue to butcher simple passes. We need to promote/ recruit better kicking players and dump the bunnies like boak asap or we will go nowhere. Poor kicking has cost us games and robbed us of confidence and forced us to run harder and further than our opponents so we seem to tire early.
People seem to want to scapegoat fringe players like impey, young, ah chee when the real problem is boak, wines, etc not being able to make simple passes. It's the elephant in the room. I have said it before but when I talk about our senior players poor kicking I feel like that guy from zoolander that points out magnum and blue steel are the same look. It's so blatantly obvious. Just look at the stats.

Port's First-XXII by most games played:

- Offense -
Robbie Gray, 21
Charlie Dixon, 20
Jack Watts, 19

Justin Westhoff, 22
Travis Boak, 22
Chad Wingard, 21

- Midfield -
Jared Polec, 22
Ollie Wines, 22
Steven Motlop, 21

Brad Ebert, 22
Tom Rockliff, 18
Paddy Ryder, 16

- Defense -
Darcy Byrne-Jones, 21
Riley Bonner, 19
Tom Jonas, 18

Dan Houston, 22
Dougal Howard, 20
Tom Clurey, 19

- Inter-Changers -
Sam Gray, 19
Sam Powell-Pepper, 16
Jack Hombsch, 14
Jasper Pittard, 11

---

Comparing with our R1 game v. Freo:
In - Robbie Gray (back from suspension), Hombsch, Pittard
Out - Marshall (injured), Hartlett (injured), Barry

The team is pretty much what the coaches thought it was our First-XXII; even though, this list was never used entirely in any game this season. In 4 games, there was 21 - between rounds 8 and 12. Jake Neade played in all of those 4 matches.

---

P.S.: Others (12) who have played at least one game in 2018:

Jake Neade, 8
Lindsay Thomas, 7
Todd Marshall, 7
Jarrod Lienert, 6
Karl Amon, 6
Aidyn Johnson, 5
Kane Farrell, 5
Dom Barry, 5
Hamish Hartlett, 5
Jack Trengove, 3
Trent McKenzie, 1
Billy Frampton, 1

Footballistics has a chapter on which metrics are most strongly correlated with winning (based on the oft-quoted premise that it's all about contested possession). Turns out that the most strongly correlated stat is the kick count, and the strongest negative correlation is, unsurprisingly, turnovers. Sounds like our season in a nutshell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back