News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubeus Hagrid slammed his fist down on the table and bellowed [choose best response below]:

1. “Ah, go boil yer heads, both of yeh. Mowman—yer a wizard.”

2. “Well, yeh might’ve bent a few rules, Mowman, bu’ yeh’re all righ’ really, aren’ you?”

3. “No good sittin’ worryin’ abou’ it. What’s comin’ will come, an’ we’ll meet it when it does.”

4. “Ah, shut up, Mowman, yeh great prune.”

5. “Ah, well, people can be stupid abou’ their Saints,” said Hagrid wisely.

6. “Don’ you worry, Mowman. You’ll learn fast enough. Everyone starts at the beginning at St Kilda, you’ll be just fine. Just be yerself. I know it’s hard. Yeh’ve been singled out, an’ that’s always hard. But yeh’ll have a great time at St Kilda — I did — still do, ’smatter of fact.”

7. “I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth botherin’ with.’”

8. “You all righ’?”
“Yeah,” said Mowman.
“No, yeh’re not,” said Hagrid. “’Course yeh’re not. But yeh will be.”
So it was Paddy ? Asking for friend

A huge amount! Wtf happened to him? He seems like a different guy here than in every interview I've seen with him before.
The penny has dropped, it seems..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A huge amount! Wtf happened to him? He seems like a different guy here than in every interview I've seen with him before.

Maybe he just matured.
It does occur to most people eventually, it’s just that we on here want everything to happen yesterday.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-12-14/hilton-welcomed-onto-saints-board

St Kilda Football Club will give effect to a number of board level changes at its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Tuesday.

The meeting will see Stratosphere advertising agency Chief Executive Officer Adam Hilton join the board as a new director.

“I’m really looking forward to taking this opportunity with both hands and playing an active role in moving our club forward,” Hilton said.

"I’ve barracked for the Saints as long as I can remember, spending nearly every weekend down at Moorabbin when I was younger watching Plugger and Nicky terrorise the opposition.

“To have the chance to help the club in a tangible way is incredible and something I’m very thankful for.”

Hilton held various commercial positions at Network Ten across 16 years prior to starting agency, Noisy Beast in 2012 (which was subsequently acquired by Swisse Wellness in 2017).

“After a long career at Network Ten and successfully managing two creative agencies over the past decade, I believe I’ll be able to assist the club’s commercial and marketing focus,” Hilton said.

“I know Andrew (Bassat) and I share an insatiable appetite to see a second cup on display at RSEA Park and I can’t wait to get started.”

The AGM will also see Bassat formally adopt the club’s presidency from Peter Summers, while long-serving board member Russell Caplan will assume the role of Vice President.

“This is a really important time for the club,” Bassat said.

“We are pleased to welcome Adam onto the board, and I am sure he will bring valuable skills and insights to help shape the future of the Saints.”

“I congratulate Russell Caplan on his new role as we move into this exciting new phase, which of course would never have been possible if not for all the hard work of Peter Summers over the past decade.

“Peter has been a tireless and selfless servant of the club and leaves a legacy that will hopefully lead to the on-field success that all St Kilda fans crave.

“I would like to thank Andrew Thompson for his enormous contribution, not only as a much-loved number 4 but also over the past decade in his capacity as a terrific board member and football director.”

The St Kilda Football Club Annual General Meeting will be held at RSEA Park on Tuesday 18 December at . All members are welcome to attend.

http://saintsmembership.com.au/

Anyone else watched the video on AFL website of how hard we went to try to do live trade deals to get Jye Caldwell, then when that fell through, tried another deal to get a pick to get Collier-Dawkins.

Good viewing. We had a crack & came up short both times.

We looked so bloody amateurish going about it though :(

Last edited:
R1, 2019: Who makes the cut in your club's season-opener?

STK-header.png

TEAM EXPLAINED: The Saints can probably afford to play with three key forwards, given they have some strong pressure players in Jade Gresham, Jack Billings, Ben Long and Dean Kent helping out inside 50. Jack Lonie is in reserve, but will be called upon given his impressive end to last year. Young trio Josh Battle, Max King and Josh Bruce narrowly miss out, but will earn their opportunity at some stage in 2019. Logan Austin plays round one in place of the suspended Nathan Brown down back, while Luke Dunstan and David Armitage narrowly miss out due to the raft of inside midfielders already at the club. Don't be surprised to see mature-aged draft picks Matthew Parker and Nick Hind get their chance early in the season.

PRE-SEASON BATTLE: As always, there will be a battle for the key forward spots at the Saints. Tim Membrey, Paddy McCartin, Josh Bruce and Rowan Marshall will vie for two or maybe three positions, while King will also join that fight at some stage in 2019. - Riley Beveridge

B: Jarryn Geary, Logan Austin, Dylan Roberton
HB: Jimmy Webster, Jake Carlisle, Daniel McKenzie
C: Dan Hannebery, Jack Steven, Hunter Clark
HF: Jade Gresham, Tim Membrey, Jack Billings
F: Ben Long, Rowan Marshall, Paddy McCartin
FOLL: Billy Longer, Seb Ross, Jack Steele
I/C: Blake Acres, Jack Newnes, Dean Kent, Jack Sinclair

Defender depth: Nathan Brown*, Bailey Rice, Oscar Clavarino, Darragh Joyce, Callum Wilkie, Shane Savage, Nick Coffield, Brandon White

Forward depth: Jack Lonie, Josh Battle, Max King*, Robert Young, Matthew Parker, Josh Bruce, Ben Paton

Midfield depth: Ed Phillips, Doulton Langlands, Jack Bytel*, Luke Dunstan, David Armitage, Nick Hind

Ruck depth: Lewis Pierce, Sam Alabakis

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-15/r1-2019-who-plays-in-your-clubs-seasonopener

Although I do question the research in dumping Battle, King and Bruce together as a 'young trio'

Anyone else watched the video on AFL website of how hard we went to try to do live trade deals to get Jye Caldwell, then when that fell through, tried another deal to get a pick to get Collier-Dawkins.

Good viewing. We had a crack & came up short both times.

We looked so bloody amateurish going about it though :(
Can you explain to me how we looked amateurish? I've watched the video and I just don't understand how we looked amateurish - seems to be a commonly held view amongst our fans though.

Can you explain to me how we looked amateurish? I've watched the video and I just don't understand how we looked amateurish - seems to be a commonly held view amongst our fans though.

I agree I thought it went as expected with live trading. Its was a completely fluent environment and I thought Gallagher and Libratore handled it well. The club had made plenty of offers to trade back into the first round before the draft and I guess they just asked the questions again to see if clubs had shifted.

Richo seemed to be actively involved and asking questions, which I thought Gags & Liba also handled well. All round I was grateful to the club and AFL for releasing the footage.

Last edited:
They should watch the Carlton and Suns videos as comparison.
Answered it for me sunny3193

Thought their handling of their prospective deals were far more controlled with everyone in the room knowing what they were doing & the deal they were attempting to achieve

Answered it for me sunny3193

Thought their handling of their prospective deals were far more controlled with everyone in the room knowing what they were doing & the deal they were attempting to achieve
My take on those other videos was different. Lots of chest puffing by Gold Coast recruiters but they didn't get the deals they wanted - in fact they got screwed by West Coast. Carlton was basically SOS going rogue. Thought ours was more open discussions with more in the room allowed to give their opinion.

Would have been interesting to see our guys in action on day 2, as that's where most of our deals happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back