News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wakelin X2
Thanks Mad Malcolm. He got it in his junkyard of a mind that they were party boys who were a bad influence on the group.

Had he spoken to those in the know, which is hard to do when you never turn up and spend all of your time on the golf course, he would've realised they were highly respected amongst the group and considered future leaders. Their subsequent careers at other clubs proved him wrong. Again.

Thanks Mad Malcolm. He got it in his junkyard of a mind that they were party boys who were a bad influence on the group.

Had he spoken to those in the know, which is hard to do when you never turn up and spend all of your time on the golf course, he would've realised they were highly respected amongst the group and considered future leaders. Their subsequent careers at other clubs proved him wrong. Again.
You don't have to give a name or anything, but where/how did you hear this? It's news to me.

The HR manager at the time, Luca77.
The Waks were known for their love of women. Nothing different than most of us. But it was often mistaken for ‘party boy’ syndrome. As you say Drake - Blight didn’t give 3 seconds of time to the club. Not all his fault, we were the idiots that hired him.

The Waks were known for their love of women. Nothing different than most of us. But it was often mistaken for ‘party boy’ syndrome. As you say Drake - Blight didn’t give 3 seconds of time to the club. Not all his fault, we were the idiots that hired him.
When you look like the Wakelins, are smart and educated like the Wakelins, earn a motza like the Wakelins and are high profile AFL players like the Wakelins, you are bound to attract a lot of attention from the ladies..........like the Wakelins did. Mad Malcolm was determined to shake the place up, as he did at Adelaide.

Remember, MM wanted to get rid of Harvey, Burke and Loewe in the same way he axed McGuinness, Andrew Jarman and McDermott. While it worked for him at the Crows, it would've been disastrous at Moorabbin. In the end, Mikka, they did err in hiring him but at least they had the courage to admit their mistake. The right person was sacked and for the right reasons.

A mate owned a restaurant in Hampton Street at the time where most of the boys would eat.

Wakelin twins loved feasting on the old bearded clam in their day.

It terms of Malcolm, both Butthead and the great man manager should have fallen on their swords for hiring him.

When you look like the Wakelins, are smart and educated like the Wakelins, earn a motza like the Wakelins and are high profile AFL players like the Wakelins, you are bound to attract a lot of attention from the ladies..........like the Wakelins did. Mad Malcolm was determined to shake the place up, as he did at Adelaide.

Remember, MM wanted to get rid of Harvey, Burke and Loewe in the same way he axed McGuinness, Andrew Jarman and McDermott. While it worked for him at the Crows, it would've been disastrous at Moorabbin. In the end, Mikka, they did err in hiring him but at least they had the courage to admit their mistake. The right person was sacked and for the right reasons.
Not Harvey. Made him captain and told him he would help him win a 3rd Charlie.

A mate owned a restaurant in Hampton Street at the time where most of the boys would eat.

Wakelin twins loved feasting on the old bearded clam in their day.

It terms of Malcolm, both Butthead and the great man manager should have fallen on their swords for hiring him.
To be fair pretty much anyone that has ever cared for the Saints was absolutely
Thrilled with Blights appointment at the time!
Especially after the weatherman fiasco. And I like most was
Ropeable when he was sacked after 15 games!
History and all accounts suggest they did the right thing looking back
Cutting their losses soon as they realised the Rats Tossbag had seen better days!

As much as the Butters/Thomas Union ended up in a very Public fractured state
People shouldn't forget how they put this footy club back on the map
And made it proud again!

Would hate to think how we would have ended up, had we made them fall on
Their swords right then at the time!

To be fair pretty much anyone that has ever cared for the Saints was absolutely
Thrilled with Blights appointment at the time!
Especially after the weatherman fiasco. And I like most was
Ropeable when he was sacked after 15 games!
History and all accounts suggest they did the right thing looking back
Cutting their losses soon as they realised the Rats Tossbag had seen better days!

As much as the Butters/Thomas Union ended up in a very Public fractured state
People shouldn't forget how they put this footy club back on the map
And made it proud again!

Would hate to think how we would have ended up, had we made them fall on
Their swords right then at the time!
You have to wonder what really went on.

There were certain club champions that Blight didn't rate. These were guys that to be fair arrest our slide after the Hawthorn disaster in 99.

My question is: If Blight was given permission to clean out the list instead of being restricted by the board, would he have shown more involvement in did he just lose interest once he learnt that his hands would be tied by Butthead and Co?

Because let's face it, even with GT at the helm, said champions didn't exactly transform our on field performance.

I'd say we didn't really improve until after they retired.

You have to wonder what really went on.

There were certain club champions that Blight didn't rate. These were guys that to be fair arrest our slide after the Hawthorn disaster in 99.

My question is: If Blight was given permission to clean out the list instead of being restricted by the board, would he have shown more involvement in did he just lose interest once he learnt that his hands would be tied by Butthead and Co?

Because let's face it, even with GT at the helm, said champions didn't exactly transform our on field performance.

I'd say we didn't really improve until after they retired.
I get what you are saying, but who are they?
Loewe and Burke didn't last long at all under Thomas
The one I reckon you might be right with is A Thompson
Certainly not Harvs as he more than justified his spot!

As for what Blighty would have done, it's all just speculation
But I suspect he prob would have gutted the list!
We will never know how that would have looked!

They had a curious relationship. Blight certainly didn't rate him prior to his arrival. Harvs was definitely on the "hit list". Must have changed his mind once he got there and saw the esteem in which the great man was held. In the end his mad plan to axe three club legends was shelved. His criticism of Harvs in subsequent years, when MM was a commentator, spoke volumes. Remember the, "we didn't worry about him because he gets lots of the ball but doesn't hurt you," line about the 1997 GF(paraphrasing)?

One thing I do know for sure about MM was that he could have more unpredictable changes of heart than Monty Burns. As Caro rightly pointed out, he left Adelaide because of mental illness, which was far from resolved when he came to the saints. He was bizarre, to say the least. I wish I could share more, but the libel laws are strict and the truth is only a partial defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had a curious relationship. Blight certainly didn't rate him prior to his arrival. Harvs was definitely on the "hit list". Must have changed his mind once he got there and saw the esteem in which the great man was held. In the end his mad plan to axe three club legends was shelved. His criticism of Harvs in subsequent years, when MM was a commentator, spoke volumes. Remember the, "we didn't worry about him because he gets lots of the ball but doesn't hurt you," line about the 1997 GF(paraphrasing)?

One thing I do know for sure about MM was that he could have more unpredictable changes of heart than Monty Burns. As Caro rightly pointed out, he left Adelaide because of mental illness, which was far from resolved when he came to the saints. He was bizarre, to say the least. I wish I could share more, but the libel laws are strict and the truth is only a partial defence.
And yet he was the first player they targeted on the day...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back