News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That vid of A murray was really touching, we've come a long way. not there yet. It's crazy how bloody good our two indigenous boys are, longy and gresh would have to be two of our most important players right now (given long's form prior to his injury). Just wish ben could be out there this week

That vid of A murray was really touching, we've come a long way. not there yet. It's crazy how bloody good our two indigenous boys are, longy and gresh would have to be two of our most important players right now (given long's form prior to his injury). Just wish ben could be out there this week
Koby Stevens says hi. :)

Looked to me like Koby is really struggling with the notion that this may be it for footy, but also whether the lasting effects of his concussions will plague him the rest of his life. Body language suggested he was super uncomfortable about what his future holds, not so much the questions/interview etc.

Really feel for the guy. Best wishes Koby, hope all comes good for you mate :)

Looked to me like Koby is really struggling with the notion that this may be it for footy, but also whether the lasting effects of his concussions will plague him the rest of his life. Body language suggested he was super uncomfortable about what his future holds, not so much the questions/interview etc.

Really feel for the guy. Best wishes Koby, hope all comes good for you mate :)

That's terrible I really hope his team mates and club get around him. This is where the richer clubs can do the right thing and look after players like Koby if he is forced to retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koby Stevens interviewed on Fox Footy's "On The Mark"

Devastating interview. Just feel so bad for Koby. Must be shattering for him watching his health and career slip away. Really hope he can make a recovery but it doesn't sound like he will play footy again.

Jeez I’m no doctor but if there’s been changes to his brain surely he doesn’t risk doing any more damage.

Wish him all the best.

He did say the doctors have said it probably will go back to how it was. I have had a few concussions and it does worry you. If you forget names or anything you start to think back to it and get nervous. Might explain my irrational irritability with the Saints.

McClure and King sure put the boots into the Saints ( Richo copped some real heat too ) on AFL 360 tonight.
We are under the spotlight big time. Can't wait to see what they've saying in two weeks time :eek:

He did say the doctors have said it probably will go back to how it was.
Fingers crossed.......everything crossed that this happens.

As hayes said above...…..no more risks for him....... what's happening to him would be incredibly scary….... time to hang up the boots Koby.

Nothing was really said that people dont already know. Regardless of gameplan, a lot of the basics such as tackling and pressure just are not working like they have been in the past.

Carlton great Mark Maclure says Paddy McCartin’s fitness is the source of his problems
AFL
  • May 30, 2018 6:10pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
226e8374efb4e91bcae029a029f857bc

Paddy McCartin has struggled with concussion. Photo: Quinn Rooney/Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images
PADDY McCartin’s development is “miles off” and his lack of intent is symptomatic of St Kilda’s lack of forward pressure, says Carlton great Mark Maclure.

The No. 1 draft pick — who adorned a helmet for the first time last weekend — has been subject to much criticism, with his 28 goals from 30 games a poor return for such a highly prized recruit.

But with a nasty string of head knocks and a battle with diabetes sidelining the 22-year-old, McCartin has had a more difficult introduction to footy than most.

Maclure conceded McCartin’s diabetes was an obstacle to his performance.

Round 11
But he also suggested McCartin’s fitness — or lack thereof — was at the centre of his problems, citing Richmond legend Dale Weightman as a prime example of how to best perform with the condition.

“Paddy McCartin, for mine, is a bit of a drama,” Maclure said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“He’s four years into his footy life and he’s had 40 games in four years and has averaged nine disposals and less than one goal. His best score is three goals in one game.

“His forward pressure is in the bottom five per cent of the competition. And it’s all because his fitness level is so poor. He’s out on his haunches for (up to) 30 seconds at some stages.

“We all understand he’s a diabetic and he takes insulin. But Flea Weightman had the same thing and it didn’t worry him.

“He worked his backside off to be really big and strong and to cover off.”

9c9ef5b7cce5236cc5014daa4d4cb1b7

Paddy McCartin receives a head knock. Photo: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia
LIVE Stream every match of every round of the 2018 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. SIGN UP NOW >

Maclure implored McCartin to learn from Weightman and adopt strong training techniques to reach the peak of his fitness.

“I think everyone wants him to make it desperately, but he has to do it himself,” Maclure said.

“He’s had four years and by four years time you should have your fitness levels as high as you can possibly get them.

“They need him to stand up and actually prove that he can do it. And it’s not because he can’t play, it’s because he’s not fit and can’t finish a game. He can’t run it out. He does two efforts and he’s done

“You should almost be at your peak. He’s miles off and that’s why they fail so often up forward. They’re poor in that area.”

Get the ultimate AFL experience on your phone with the new FOX FOOTY App. Download it NOW for FREE on iOS and Android

St Kilda has only won one game from 10 starts, with its only victory of the season coming against Brisbane in Round 1.

While Maclure isolated McCartin’s fitness as one of the reasons the Saints were struggling, he also suggested that — across the board — the club’s forwards were below par.

And dual North Melbourne premiership player David King couldn’t agree more.

“There’s a reason they’ve won one and a half games this year,” King said.

“If you’re not a competitive side or you’ve got any doubt as to where you sit in the AFL system then you’ve got to get this forward line pressure right.

“It can save your back six and your whole workload for your midfield. You don’t have to chase bum all day. I question whether they’ve got pressure players in there.

“(Jade) Gresham had a good day the other day, but his pressure is poor. (Jack) Newnes is kicking goals, but his pressure is pretty poor. You’ve got to get that right.

“The modern game shows you if you don’t pressure you’re going to leak.”

This the sort of stuff I can't handle
Darcy Moore hasn't torn the world apart neither has Boyd , Schache , Wiedman etc - game style is not suiting a lot of the forwards atm , its not just Paddy - easy for someone to come out and make this comments.
The kid is 22 FMD , he is going to be a power forward and I want him in the goal square not running up onto a wing.
The CHF can go chasing what ever back runs off , Membery , Bruce or Battle.

Carlton great Mark Maclure says Paddy McCartin’s fitness is the source of his problems
AFL
  • May 30, 2018 6:10pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
226e8374efb4e91bcae029a029f857bc

Paddy McCartin has struggled with concussion. Photo: Quinn Rooney/Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images
PADDY McCartin’s development is “miles off” and his lack of intent is symptomatic of St Kilda’s lack of forward pressure, says Carlton great Mark Maclure.

The No. 1 draft pick — who adorned a helmet for the first time last weekend — has been subject to much criticism, with his 28 goals from 30 games a poor return for such a highly prized recruit.

But with a nasty string of head knocks and a battle with diabetes sidelining the 22-year-old, McCartin has had a more difficult introduction to footy than most.

Maclure conceded McCartin’s diabetes was an obstacle to his performance.

Round 11
But he also suggested McCartin’s fitness — or lack thereof — was at the centre of his problems, citing Richmond legend Dale Weightman as a prime example of how to best perform with the condition.

“Paddy McCartin, for mine, is a bit of a drama,” Maclure said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“He’s four years into his footy life and he’s had 40 games in four years and has averaged nine disposals and less than one goal. His best score is three goals in one game.

“His forward pressure is in the bottom five per cent of the competition. And it’s all because his fitness level is so poor. He’s out on his haunches for (up to) 30 seconds at some stages.

“We all understand he’s a diabetic and he takes insulin. But Flea Weightman had the same thing and it didn’t worry him.

“He worked his backside off to be really big and strong and to cover off.”

9c9ef5b7cce5236cc5014daa4d4cb1b7

Paddy McCartin receives a head knock. Photo: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia
LIVE Stream every match of every round of the 2018 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. SIGN UP NOW >

Maclure implored McCartin to learn from Weightman and adopt strong training techniques to reach the peak of his fitness.

“I think everyone wants him to make it desperately, but he has to do it himself,” Maclure said.

“He’s had four years and by four years time you should have your fitness levels as high as you can possibly get them.

“They need him to stand up and actually prove that he can do it. And it’s not because he can’t play, it’s because he’s not fit and can’t finish a game. He can’t run it out. He does two efforts and he’s done

“You should almost be at your peak. He’s miles off and that’s why they fail so often up forward. They’re poor in that area.”

Get the ultimate AFL experience on your phone with the new FOX FOOTY App. Download it NOW for FREE on iOS and Android

St Kilda has only won one game from 10 starts, with its only victory of the season coming against Brisbane in Round 1.

While Maclure isolated McCartin’s fitness as one of the reasons the Saints were struggling, he also suggested that — across the board — the club’s forwards were below par.

And dual North Melbourne premiership player David King couldn’t agree more.

“There’s a reason they’ve won one and a half games this year,” King said.

“If you’re not a competitive side or you’ve got any doubt as to where you sit in the AFL system then you’ve got to get this forward line pressure right.

“It can save your back six and your whole workload for your midfield. You don’t have to chase bum all day. I question whether they’ve got pressure players in there.

“(Jade) Gresham had a good day the other day, but his pressure is poor. (Jack) Newnes is kicking goals, but his pressure is pretty poor. You’ve got to get that right.

“The modern game shows you if you don’t pressure you’re going to leak.”

This the sort of stuff I can't handle
Darcy Moore hasn't torn the world apart neither has Boyd , Schache , Wiedman etc - game style is not suiting a lot of the forwards atm , its not just Paddy - easy for someone to come out and make this comments.
The kid is 22 FMD , he is going to be a power forward and I want him in the goal square not running up onto a wing.
The CHF can go chasing what ever back runs off , Membery , Bruce or Battle.
disagree, he can still be a power forward AND improve his fitness.

Besides he's not that powerful as it is.. so if that's the route he's gonna go he definitely needs to get stronger

still think he'll be good

disagree, he can still be a power forward AND improve his fitness.

Besides he's not that powerful as it is.. so if that's the route he's gonna go he definitely needs to get stronger

still think he'll be good
It's both. He needs to improve his fitness and strength, but every key forward in his age bracket is struggling at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back