News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to say I had a lump in the throat reading Max's story.

Absolutely great stuff from the club.

I hope Max has an unforgettable night tomorrow night.
I did too

The stuff put out by the club this week has been outstanding. The little Max video, Freezer announcement video, the short video 1718, even the pressers. All great stuff.
With you 100 % Sainttony…………..a lot of people bag the club but it's been a good news week for a change and the club has certainly been getting it out there......I cannot fault the way they have done it.

I have to say that this week is the first week for many many weeks that I've felt a little upbeat about things.

With Simon L "roaming" the club and with the assistant coaching changes(with hopefully a few more announcements) you can't help but think things will get better.

Change was needed and it's happening.

As a few others have also thought....it's absolutely damning that we had reached this point.

Noticing.the backdrop of the freeman press confrence, when did Holmesglen tafe start sponsoring us?
They are building a private hospital in Moorabbin and in turn have sponsored the club.

Sunday saw the Saints take on the Magpies in the VWFL in a do-or-die fixture for the red, white and black.

The highly-fancied Collingwood came into the match undefeated all season, while the third-placed Saints needed a win to have any chance of finishing in the top two and securing a grand final berth.

Both sides exploded out of the blocks, as each scored two goals within the first five minutes.

The second quarter continued in the same vein, and after trading multiple goals, the two sides were locked at 28-apiece at half-time.

Captain Marcus Sander urged his team to lift their defensive efforts in the second half, acutely aware the Magpies’ ability to score quickly and often.

Christy Arulnesathasan answered the captain's call, his many intercept marks dominating proceedings in the back third to keep the Saints in the contest.

Pat McKay and Sander continued to work well as a unit up forward, providing the midfield with plenty of options.

Marcus Sander has led the Saints this year.

The scores appeared to be even again at 46-46 at the final break, but after much discussion between officials, they were adjusted to see the Magpies take a 49-43 lead into the final quarter.

The Magpies put the pressure on early with a quick goal but started to slow the play down with five minutes to play.

With two more intercept marks by defenders Ryan Smith and C. Arulnesathasan, the Saints were able to absorb the Magpies’ substantial pressure, narrowly missing two scoring opportunities in the process.

Some clever ball movement through the centre set Sander up for the shot, whose long-range effort soared through hands on the line.

Arguments ensued, but with the goal review system unavailable in the VWFL, pleas for a touched ball on the line fell on deaf ears, much to the Magpies’ dismay.

The Saints were back to within five points with time against them, and with Collingwood seemingly rattled, arguing with both umpires and each other, the Saints launched one final attack.

The forwards and midfielders worked hard to free up McKay within scoring range, and with just 45 seconds left, he put the Saints in front by a solitary point.

The Saints couldn’t kill the ball at the ensuing centre ball-up, and the last touch rule came into play, giving the Magpies one last roll of the dice.

A Collingwood forward managed to break free, and after a mark on the siren, a long-range shot left the scoreboard tied at 57-apiece – the first draw in VWFL history.

Go Saints

SEN saying they've got a developing story involving Saints (after the break of course, about the 5th one since he mentioned it).
Anyway I have to do some stuff at work, so if anyone listening to SEN can you let us know what it was? If I happen to catch it I'll update.
Probably nothing interesting, but you never know...

EDIT: something about Hanneberry by the sounds... 5 year deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In our desperation to improve our list we are going to get screwed... I can’t just feel it. Clubs will see the desperation and circle.

I’m glad he mentioned the stuff up the Dees made trading Josh Kelly for Tyson and Salem...sounds like just the thing we would do, with the same outcome.
Quality over quantity surely, we’ve already been down the other path.

The last two major trades we did we made out like absolute bandits both times. What makes you people think we are suddenly going to just throw pick 3/4 into the winds?

In our desperation to improve our list we are going to get screwed... I can’t just feel it. Clubs will see the desperation and circle.

I’m glad he mentioned the stuff up the Dees made trading Josh Kelly for Tyson and Salem...sounds like just the thing we would do, with the same outcome.
Quality over quantity surely, we’ve already been down the other path.

Unfortunately due to the poor draft position Trout left us in we have no other option but to split our first rounder if we want Hannebery.

If Rankine is still on the board Adelaide would probably trade picks 7 (theirs) & pick 15 (received from Melb) for pick 4. We could then trade pick 15 for Hanners & use pick 7 on Smith or one of the King brothers if they are still available.

Not ideal but that’s the situation we find ourselves in if we want to get a player like Hannebery who is probably worth a late first/early second.

The last two major trades we did we made out like absolute bandits both times. What makes you people think we are suddenly going to just throw pick 3/4 into the winds?

Can’t say I’m overly confident that the people doing the business now will be looking for long term success over a short term fix. Their balls are on the line, so to speak, to fix things now after our shocking year.

What can I say, I’m just disenchanted at the moment and distrustful of any of the decision makers right now? Let’s hope they don’t make any stupid decisions.

Unfortunately due to the poor draft position Trout left us in we have no other option but to split our first rounder if we want Hannebery.

If Rankine is still on the board Adelaide would probably trade picks 7 (theirs) & pick 15 (received from Melb) for pick 4. We could then trade pick 15 for Hanners & use pick 7 on Smith or one of the King brothers if they are still available.

Not ideal but that’s the situation we find ourselves in if we want to get a player like Hannebery who is probably worth a late first/early second.

Sounds like Sydney are pretty keen to get rid of him, their salary cap must be squeezed tight and they are obviously after someone.

Hope we don’t just rollover. We’ll be paying a huge part of his salary, we should not also have to give up a great pick. Sydney need us as much as we would seem to want Hannebury.

I could live with a pick in return in the top 10, but not lower than that,

Turning pick 4 into a pick 7 and Hannebery is a pretty good deal. 3 pick downgrade and a gun, experienced player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back