News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

First game I ever saw was the Centenary game... ...but not this one, the one between the Bombers and the Cats; my Dons-supporting mate took me hoping to spark my interest in AFL enough to start properly supporting rather than just nominally choosing a team for when folks asked who I barracked for. They gave out plastic ponchos to wear printed with either the Essendon or Geelong centenary strip and it seemed like a huge celebration at the time.

It worked! My god, I'd never been in an atmosphere like that before, (First time inside a stadium of any kind) and I became addicted. Luckily I stayed true to my first choice and didn't sink down into the Land of the Sash.

Back to this game: what the hell made us take in Tony Francis and Damien Monkhorst from this mob a few years later? One of the lower periods of my life as saints fan rocking up each weekend to watch those spuds play for us.
See, that’s something that I will never have.
To be so enthralled by the atmosphere of an event to be immediately converted.
I really envy you that experience: I am bred for AFL.
Never had a choice, sometimes I regret that. I’ve often thought about coming late to a sport, and what that would entail.
Scared shitless at a overcrowded Stamford Bridge, packed like sardines with urine running under my feet. Not the best introduction to EPL.
Watching the Dodgers get thumped by Philly at Dodger Stadium where the only highlight was the seventh innings stretch. Ditto for MBL.
Or seeing the Dolphins run all over the Bengals in Cincinnati where the highlight of that game was the Bengals fan from Toledo who’d over participated in the refreshments at his pre game tailgate BBQ. (How he got home who knows?).
NFL? Nah.
Or Xavier losing to LSU in a college basketball knockout.

However on reflection, I think I do know what you mean:
Turn 4 at the Brickyard for the Indy500.
Surrounded by good ole boys, beer, bourbon, burritos and burgers.
And the Aussie wins.

I would go back to NASCAR tomorrow.

I get where you’re coming from....

St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Round 4, 1992

St.Kilda 16.12.108 defeated Hawthorn 14.14.98

Loving this. David Grant was sublime in the air back then. Jeez we had some good players to watch. Stewies first grab is incredible. A FF who can mark and kick, a great FB. Big Laze in the ruck. Haven't spotted myself in the crowd yet.

Where did that footage come from?

One camera special.

The old 3AW commentary team of Beitzel, Smokey Dawson and old Tommy Lahiff sounding like he's about to cark it.
Don't know but geez it is very rare footage!

Just saw on the AFL site that Lonie had met with Nathan Buckley recently.
vie908.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I think we underrate about the Gresh is how good is he is in one on one contests. Against bigger more experianced opponents he just never loses. Lots of his goals were against really quality defenders. Unlike say Degoey who is just too strong for most opponents, Gresh uses his smarts and surprising strength to just somehow get the edge. Can;t wait for him to become more of a mid.

Last edited:
One thing I think we underrate about the Gresh is how good is he is in one on one contests. Against bigger more experianced opponents he just never loses. Lots of his goals were against really quality defenders. Unlike say Degoey who is just too strong for most opponents, Gresh uses his smarts and surprising strength to just somehow get the edge. Can;t wait for him to become more of a mid.
Absolutely agree there …..watching the highlights package just shows you how skillful he is.

It's just so easy to forget how many sensational goals he kicked this season...…..naturally the match winning goal against GC is my fav.

Looking forward to many more years watching the Gresh in action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back