News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

I am absolutely staggered that 11 home games only netted us $150 000!
ThAt must be the worst stadium deal ever. Things are looking up.

Yep, were only there to pay for the stadium. Geelong can regularly net $1 million per home game with a stadium paid for by the AFL and the government. The AFL has since given them a heap of good fixtures to maximise it. The bigger clubs refused redistribution to us while we paid down the AFL's debt.

I am absolutely staggered that 11 home games only netted us $150 000!
ThAt must be the worst stadium deal ever. Things are looking up.
I too was absolutely gobsmacked at that figure......no wonder the club has been quietly seething at the stadium deal....I knew it was a bad one but didn't know it was that bad.

We had 2 crowds of 47 K 2 weeks running and 30 K plus against Carl,Melb and Syd.

It's mind boggling to say the least.

No wonder Matt Finnis was jubilant a few weeks ago re the new deal.

I too was absolutely gobsmacked at that figure......no wonder the club has been quietly seething at the stadium deal....I knew it was a bad one but didn't know it was that bad.

We had 2 crowds of 47 K 2 weeks running and 30 K plus against Carl,Melb and Syd.

It's mind boggling to say the least.

No wonder Matt Finnis was jubilant a few weeks ago re the new deal.

And that was our improved model. We used to loose money playing home games unless we nearly filled the stadium and they'd fixture any block busters away from Etihad half the time. They have been shafting us for years and then looking down on us for our incompetence. Absolute ^%$#@ at AFL house.

We had to pay for the privilege to play home games something like 8 of 11 home games this past season. Absolutely disgusting.
The new deal will be massive for us.
Hope it will be moew than we we get from the afl regarding the competitive funding/ handouts from the afl.

Would be interesting to know how our deal compares to North's and the Doggies' negotiations/deals.

I don't really understand how the AFL could give one club a better arrangement than the others (besides Essendon of course :rolleyes:)

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Would be interesting to know how our deal compares to North's and the Doggies' negotiations/deals.

I don't really understand how the AFL could give one club a better arrangement than the others (besides Essendon of course :rolleyes:)
The same reason one player will get 2 weeks for doing the exact same thing as another who got nothing or the same reason Essendon got away with their bullshit. The AFL is ****ed.

Moorabbin Ghost

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda

We’ve been negotiating together. Strength in numbers. From what I understand the AFL have been pretty good to all clubs. I believe the deal rewards you more the bigger the crowd, I think the league was worried the clubs would stop working for crowds if the money was automatic. Also, the money comes in quicker than the current deal.
I was told we’d be “millions” better off. I’m no expert in this field and am only going on what I’ve been told from a couple of people.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
We’ve been negotiating together. Strength in numbers. From what I understand the AFL have been pretty good to all clubs. I believe the deal rewards you more the bigger the crowd, I think the league was worried the clubs would stop working for crowds if the money was automatic. Also, the money comes in quicker than the current deal.
I was told we’d be “millions” better off. I’m no expert in this field and am only going on what I’ve been told from a couple of people.
Back it in the AFL will withdraw funding once the deal kicks in, so we may not be as well off as Finnis might have indicated.
However, and there always is a however, if the new deal allows us to place our destiny in our own hands (rather than being hamstrung by feeding at an AFL teat) we will be in a significantly better place.
Both culturally and financially.
“In the race of life, always back self interest”
P J Keating

Moorabbin Ghost

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Back it in the AFL will withdraw funding once the deal kicks in, so we may not be as well off as Finnis might have indicated.
However, and there always is a however, if the new deal allows us to place our destiny in our own hands (rather than being hamstrung by feeding at an AFL teat) we will be in a significantly better place.
P J Keating

The AFL has its faults but they’ve been exceptionally good to us in recent years. Quite simply, Moorabbin wouldn’t be happening without their help.

P J Keating

It's got to be nicer to be self reliant than going cap in hand to the masters who look down on you for it. Heavy hitters like Kennett and Eddie always look out for themselves first and will always push to have their clubs put first. Geelong and Hawthorn have both seen lean times where they were held back by their dependence on the AFL and outside interests. The only way to become a powerhouse is to build up to stand on your own feet then branch out from there. While you are being given hand outs you allow others to have a say on how you do things.

The concern I have is they then remove the AFL distribution we get. So giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

Moorabbin Ghost

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
The concern I have is they then remove the AFL distribution we get. So giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

The league wants all of the clubs to be strong. It’s not some conspiracy like many believe.
The league is exceptionally happy with our progress off field considering where we were at. They have been especially supportive and helpful in our relocation back to Moorabbin. They used all of their power to persuade potential investors like government and council to really get behind us.
If we can sign off on our new stadium deal, sign 45K + members and play finals footy then we are setting ourselves up to be in the strongest off field situation in our history.
While Moorabbin puts us in a chunk of debt, if member and community engagement is where we expect it to be (Zebs playing Home games and AFLW) then returning home will not only help us out onfield, recruiting and player contentment, but it very well could be one of the most significant events in our history financially.

The league wants all of the clubs to be strong. It’s not some conspiracy like many believe.
The league is exceptionally happy with our progress off field considering where we were at. They have been especially supportive and helpful in our relocation back to Moorabbin. They used all of their power to persuade potential investors like government and council to really get behind us.
If we can sign off on our new stadium deal, sign 45K + members and play finals footy then we are setting ourselves up to be in the strongest off field situation in our history.
While Moorabbin puts us in a chunk of debt, if member and community engagement is where we expect it to be (Zebs playing Home games and AFLW) then returning home will not only help us out onfield, recruiting and player contentment, but it very well could be one of the most significant events in our history financially.

what happens to Seaford?

I read in one of the local papers late in 2017 that the local council there was not happy with the saints about them moving and leaving the site.

in the future do we have nothing to do with the seaford facility? just hand it back to the council?

yeah that's like the school hall thing they did a few years ago. At my kids primary school it allows them to hire it out to a whole range of outside groups when the school is closed. It has yoga, karate etc all paying the school to use it. It has actually set the schools up to self fund the short falls. If we can get some money back on Moorabbin, it will really help set the club up. No one wants to rely on welfare forever.

what happens to Seaford?

I read in one of the local papers late in 2017 that the local council there was not happy with the saints about them moving and leaving the site.

in the future do we have nothing to do with the seaford facility? just hand it back to the council?
We will still be working closely with the Frankston City Council, we've made that very clear. We want to still have a presence across the entire bayside.

I think the facility is turning into some kind of admin hub.

We will still be working closely with the Frankston City Council, we've made that very clear. We want to still have a presence across the entire bayside.

I think the facility is turning into some kind of admin hub.

It looks like there are so many people using Moorabbin that some trainings and stuff must be going to use Seaford. It looks like Womens footy, Sandy Dragons, junior footy admin etc are all sharing. How are they all going to get a go on the oval?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-05/saint-at-home-outside-of-his-comfort-zone

Saint at home outside of his comfort zone
Dinny Navaratnam January 5, 2018 9:00 AM

phillips_bagan.jpg

Ed Phillips in Bagan, Myanmar. Photo: Supplied

I quite like going to places where sometimes you might feel a little uncomfortable or unsure
Ed Phillips
AFTER an arduous AFL campaign, many players travel around the world and take advantage of their chance to relax and let loose. St Kilda wingman Ed Phillips did something different.

His first season ended and Phillips went to Myanmar and Cambodia with elder brother Tom – who plays for Collingwood – younger sister Lucy, and parents Anthony and Liz, for sightseeing and volunteer work.

He and Tom returned for their respective best and fairest awards, which were both on October 6, before the pair jetted out to India and Nepal with Anthony for three weeks....

It looks like there are so many people using Moorabbin that some trainings and stuff must be going to use Seaford. It looks like Womens footy, Sandy Dragons, junior footy admin etc are all sharing. How are they all going to get a go on the oval?
Remember we also have TBBO!

Moorabbin Ghost

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda

The admin for the other entities will be in a seperate building/s. And it’s no secret that every other group that wants to use the oval has to do it around St Kilda’s schedule.
Helps that all of our training is during the day.

Back