List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez we have short memories on here.. do people actually still believe that Moorabbin Ghost has even the faintest idea of anything that happens at the club?
Blokes been throwing darts at the dartboard for years hoping that something sticks.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Real self defeatist attitude there... lets just throw the towel in and play VFL until we've drafted a whole array of first round draft picks and then come to the party and play... oh wait.. Carlton already did that..

How about lets just improve our list, make some gutsy hard calls and put a strategy in place to secure players that will work within our structure.

Talk about a straw-man.

Where did I say that we should “throw in the towel”? What did I state?

That adding Wingard/Shiel won’t make us a contender? Fact
That our players can continue to develop, so saying we “can’t develop” is erroneous? Fact
That you have better access to high end talent with higher picks? Fact
That teams who rise too early minimise their chance of achieving top end success? Fact

You say that we should “improve our list” which is exactly what I’m advocating. Except whereas people seem to be content with adding Wingard and then restricting access to talent, I acknowledge that we’re not at that stage yet. Draft some elite youth, develop them, and once we have more than just Gresh to hang our hats on, go out and trade for that year’s Wingard; maybe it’s a Cerra, Taranto, [insert player here]. I want to add talent in the most appropriate way, so don’t imply for a second that I do not. I just happen to take a step back and acknowledge where we’re at, juxtaposing it to sides in recent history who have been cellar dwellers that chase a star, and see it for what it is; a premature grasping at straws to try to force their way up the ladder instead of improving their list by making the “gutsy call” to be patient and securing the right amount of players with the right talents “that will work within their structure”.

All of Hannebury, Wingard and Sheil had less than their best seasons. We have seen how good they can be so I must admit I am conflicted. I really want to keep Pick 4 or whatever it is. Walsh would be great. Others have claims.

Hannebury is the only one that ‘seems’ to be reasonably priced. Next year’s second rounder. If that mail is true. But the other two have requirements from their clubs of high picks. Not sure how we do it. Swap pick 4 for two lower 1st rounders? I am loathe to do that, but understand that the guy you pick at 4 may not work out.

Massive dilemma that I am unable to find the answer for.

I find it funny people celebrating that we are not taking Menzel for absolutely nothing. Played 13 games and would have finished 8 goals behind out top goal kicker in Gresham.

The way I see it he would be better than Weller, Newnes, Lonie etc that we have currently in the line up. Heck he would be our only reliable goal kicker as well.

We need to use the money anyways otherwise what was the point of paying 95% last few years and we csnt hit 105% next year it all goes to waste. Quiet frankly the amount of overpaid players we have running around is embarrassing. To come back from adversity alone I would be paying him more than some of the daylight robbery our players have been getting away with for years.

2 years his knees have stood up to AFL standards and it was some freak reaction that sidelined him at the start of the year and still managed to get back and play decent football and average 2.1 goals per game (would be 1st in our side).

We finished 3rd to last... any player that would be better than what we currently have should be welcomed with open arms. People need to take the rose colored glasses off and stop wishing that Kelly/Wingard will be because if you look around, most other clubs look far more attractive then us on field and off it.

We are a basket case.

Well, he can check out any time he likes...

wiqd94.jpg
Dr your very good at this

Id like us to use our future 1st rounder for trade to get another pick in the first round this year. Seems to have worked well for the dees having 2 picks early. Too go with Clark , coffield and possibly and another 2 top 10 picks this year will give us a good core of guns coming through together.

REPORTS: Eagles after Saints big man
Stephen Marson
-
September 18, 2018 - 11:22 am
GettyImages-966054502-696x464.jpg

West Coast have reportedly set their sights on luring St Kilda ruckman Tom Hickey to Western Australia, as the Eagles look to bolster their ruck stocks for the 2019 season.

Nic Naitanui will miss most of the season after suffering his second ACL injury against Collingwood in Round 17, while current ruckman Scott Lycett is more than likely out the door, with Port Adelaide his preferred destination.

Foxfooty.com.au understand the Eagles want to bring Hickey over on a multi-year deal.

Hickey played 13 matches for the Saints during the 2018 season, and has played 67 for the club since joining St Kilda from the Gold Coast at the end of the 2012 campaign.

Looks like Hickeys gone
Bye

So have I got the rules of trading right

We don't trade out our players (McCartin, Bruce, Long etc) after a poor season because they may come good and we will have traded them out too cheaply

and

We don't trade in opposition players (Hannebery, Wingard etc etc) after a poor season because will be s*** forever and we will have paid overs for them.

look i dont rate richo as the guy to leead us deep into the finals but you cannot say with certainty he will be sacked next season either ... if he doesnt perfom and the team have another disaster year yes he is gone but if we get a easier draw next season(as expected being bottom 4), have Robbo back have Bruce back insert Hannas possibly have a wingard (long shot but who knows) have Long for a full season, get some fresh ideas from the new assistant coaches we could realistically make finals or get close to it ... in that situation you cant say for sure richo would be sacked
Realistically make finals LOL

That ain't happening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

REPORTS: Eagles after Saints big man
Stephen Marson
-
September 18, 2018 - 11:22 am
GettyImages-966054502-696x464.jpg

West Coast have reportedly set their sights on luring St Kilda ruckman Tom Hickey to Western Australia, as the Eagles look to bolster their ruck stocks for the 2019 season.

Nic Naitanui will miss most of the season after suffering his second ACL injury against Collingwood in Round 17, while current ruckman Scott Lycett is more than likely out the door, with Port Adelaide his preferred destination.

Foxfooty.com.au understand the Eagles want to bring Hickey over on a multi-year deal.

Hickey played 13 matches for the Saints during the 2018 season, and has played 67 for the club since joining St Kilda from the Gold Coast at the end of the 2012 campaign.

Looks like Hickeys gone
Hallelujah

I find it funny people celebrating that we are not taking Menzel for absolutely nothing. Played 13 games and would have finished 8 goals behind out top goal kicker in Gresham.

The way I see it he would be better than Weller, Newnes, Lonie etc that we have currently in the line up. Heck he would be our only reliable goal kicker as well.

We need to use the money anyways otherwise what was the point of paying 95% last few years and we csnt hit 105% next year it all goes to waste. Quiet frankly the amount of overpaid players we have running around is embarrassing. To come back from adversity alone I would be paying him more than some of the daylight robbery our players have been getting away with for years.

2 years his knees have stood up to AFL standards and it was some freak reaction that sidelined him at the start of the year and still managed to get back and play decent football and average 2.1 goals per game (would be 1st in our side).

We finished 3rd to last... any player that would be better than what we currently have should be welcomed with open arms. People need to take the rose colored glasses off and stop wishing that Kelly/Wingard will be because if you look around, most other clubs look far more attractive then us on field and off it.

We are a basket case.
I agree, I reckon the only way we pass on Menzal is if the money is being spent elsewhere...

Players who should be traded along with hickey that are over rated:
Longer
Paddy
Acres
Dunstan

They'll never be A grade. You'll always be saying another pre season another year. Dunstan and paddy don't have the attributes for AFL footy. Longer and Acres just lack the drive and cut and thrust for AFL footy.

Wasting our time. Move them on.

Got some great info yesterday regarding shiel. He said he would prefer to go to carlton than us. He cant see a finals berth in the near future. Doesnt rate our list. He believes that carlton have much more talent than us and wont be coming here.

Who would you have in mind Yawkey?
Walsh will be gone and i’m not as high on Lukosius and rankine as some and i definitely don’t want to draft a tall like king with pick 4.

upload_2018-9-19_7-55-44.jpeg

This kid Connor Rozee looks like a ripper as well, he’s playing really well at senior level across halfback and the SA clubs amongst others will be all over him early.

That gives us a real opportunity with live trading to see just how much pick 4 can generate, who knows maybe someone will knock our socks off before the draft.

Either way a combination of smith/Caldwell along with bytel gives us two genuine quality mids, all 3 have skills we badly need. Interestingly all 3 have been injured which has hampered their ability to impress to some extent, I’m hoping they all slip a bit as a result. If the trade was good enough and one of those players slips a bit it’s possible with live trading to grab all 3. A big overage kid Mitch Podhajski has moved into the midfield and has been killing it picking up good numbers taking marks and kicking goals, I’d be looking at his combine results and thinking about where he might land as well.

We’ll make some trades and Hannebery is coming, I’m fine with that. Bring in 4 - 5 good draft picks maybe a trade for a young guy like scrimshaw and fill the rest with experienced hard bodies that will be looking for new homes and going free or cheap. There’s going to be a lot of movement before this draft and some lists will be cut quite hard, surely that’s an opportunity for us.

Hannebery, Bruce and Roberton plus whoever else we pick up gives us more experience and along with last years draftees plenty of kids to develop. I expect with an easier draw and some natural improvement better coaching etc to win around 10 games. That’s our opportunity to then chase the host of talent people expect to be available next year.

Got some great info yesterday regarding shiel. He said he would prefer to go to carlton than us. He cant see a finals berth in the near future. Doesnt rate our list. He believes that carlton have much more talent than us and wont be coming here.

Lol that doesn’t seem right to me. Guy must be blind if he thinks Carlton have more talent.

Source?

Players who should be traded along with hickey that are over rated:
Longer
Paddy
Acres
Dunstan

They'll never be A grade. You'll always be saying another pre season another year. Dunstan and paddy don't have the attributes for AFL footy. Longer and Acres just lack the drive and cut and thrust for AFL footy.

Wasting our time. Move them on.
Acres lacks the "Drive and cut and thrust"?
What fresh nonsense is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back