List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

A
Probably the best we could have done considering the year we’ve had and state of our current list (mind you i agree with Hannebery our players are better than we showed this year).

Our biggest issues this year are:

1. Winning contested ball.. that’s why I was hoping we could get a contested beast like Brad Crouch in, not to be.. hopefully Hannebery and others with the right coaching can help us winning more contested ball. Another reason we need to draft more ball winning mids.. not talls or forwards/half forwards that maybe able to play midfield in the future.. We’ve gone down that road far too many times without much to show for it..

2. Coaching/game plan
Our setup at clearance, kick in, transition and forward play was diabolical all year bar the a couple of game against GWS, Demons.. With Ratten, Lade on board, this should improve out of sight.

3. Leadership.. let’s be honest, Riewoldt and Montagna were big loses. Geary is not a good enough player let alone a good leader.. Hopefully Hannebury and others can stand up.
ny players in the draft that are good contested ball winners that we could pick ?

We hardly win this trade period! Was hoping something would bring some excitement for 2019!

Every day I am so down about this club! Can’t wait to mess yo draft night and get HBF

I guess we were nominated for a LGBT award....

Given we have 5 key forwards on our list who are all capable and realistically only 2-3 of them play each week it would be completely ludicrous to draft max king .. we are well stocked there .. if we wanted king we should have traded someone out

Fix the midfield ball use and our forwards perform better .
Given that this club drafted Paddy McCartin with their number 1 pick to replace Riewoldt as a key forward then yes they are certainly capable of any kind of stupidity at this year's draft with their pick 4.

We traded pick 63 or something for Kent lol. That's pretty much picking up a free player.

That’s how I look at it. At least we are trying to change up the elements that aren’t working for us. Weller out Kent in may get the same result, and it may not. But at least we aren’t at risk of making the same selection mistakes.

Looking at games played is deceiving as well. If Kent was on our list three years ago he may very well be the one with 100 games and if Mav was at Melbourne he may be lucky to have 50.

Gary Buckenara says we were the big losers of trade week :p campaigner
What a joke.
Dan Hannebery
Swans: Lost - Experience and on-field leadership.
St Kilda: Gained - Player who the jury is out on.
It's like they can't give the club anything.

My last post on the Trade period. Just a thought really..

Last year the Hawks were looking like finishing on the bottom but rebounded late in the season to finish just below us.
The Swans lost their first 6 games but played finals.
This year Essendon looked crap for the first 6-8 weeks but flew home and were clearly a finals grade team by season end.

My point is that none of those teams took their plight lying down and worked hard at getting their act together and winning games. In so doing they made themselves attractive to players willing to swap clubs by displaying promise for the next season.

Contrast that to the Saints and our fizzer of a season. We got worse the more the year progressed and it seemed everyone at the club was just waiting for the season to end. I ask you what kind of message does that send to players looking for a new home ? A team that gets beaten every week and showing no life.

All the more reason why it's so important to finish your year strongly, even if you've looked crap for most of it. At least then our list guys will have something to sell our club on.

As it was many on here were rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of getting a number 1 or 2 draft pick with still ten or more games to go in the year. Let's tank and get a better draft pick was many people's catchcry. Some even suggesting we should've lost the Gold Coast game to finish higher up the pecking order.

I say stuff that ! Take a leaf out of the Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and Essendon handbooks and win games, boys. The more the better. Then, just maybe, we might get some of the players that we'd like, to like us too.

A team that wins 8-10 games and finishes the season well is a more attractive proposition than a cellar dweller, limping to the line and who seem rapt because they might pick up a couple of gun kids. The same kids that might not deliver or piss off home after 2 years.

A case in point is North. They were expected to finish below us this year but they had strong season and have leapt above us as a destination club. Good luck to them. I don't care how many good draft picks we get. We need to recruit mature top end talent to bridge the void between us and the top teams. In the even competition that we have you'll wait an eternity to do that based solely around kids. The rest of the league are improving at a faster rate than we are.

We need to lose that loser mentality and loser image if we ever hope to be a destination club. That means never bottoming out. Geelong have never had a number one draft pick for what it's worth. Winning games is the only way our club will turn itself around.

Just my two cents ....
Absolutely!

Tank? - no thanks.

We aim for the highest point on the ladder, then we trade players and picks to get the good draft picks later.

While we are improving, players will leave for more opportunities or money to more desperate teams and that will give us currency to use in the trade period. We may also want to split our picks and go for specific players who would be poor choices at the draft picks our position dictates. For example if we drafted the twelfth best player at pick 4 we'd look like chumps even though that player might be better for our team.

When we have poor drafting position on the ladder and have run out of players which we either want to trade or who want to change clubs, it means we're doing well and can rely on the draft less for success.

Gary Buckenara says we were the big losers of trade week :p campaigner
Same Gary Buckenara who's been out of the loop for years and only pops up at this time of year to snatch a headline?

Lets all listen to him. :rolleyes::drunk:

Same thing I touched on earlier today. We are a chance to nab one or two of our NGA prospects. We need to given the fact that we currently have zero Cat B rookies and AFL requirement is three. Most common Cat B rookies are NGA prospects and Irish recruits.

Meanwhile that campaigner SOS is openly advertising pick one for sale at the right price. Bad news for us. But we still get pick 4, which I can definitely live with if the blues want to give up their pick to SA or QLD and leave Walsh for us.

Strange how a lot of our supporters say we a very bland or vanilla as some may say.
Just take a closer look

Steele is progressing in the same way as what Kennedy from the Swans did
Gresham has shown more talent than most kids his age
Billings picks up a lazy 20 touches on a hff when we are getting beaten
Acres is ready to show his best now , same age as what Yeo did at West coast
Coffield is a pick 8 and we know is got class
Hunter is smooth as and is another top 10 pick
McCartin looks to me he is in fighting condition and who knows he just might produce something
Long could easily be our Rioli

this is just 8 players who are very talented and far from vanilla
throw in the mongrel of Carlisle
the explosive Steven
and we have a very good team to watch

Also we have many untapped kids who could show a hell of a lot more than what we expect
Paton - highly skilled kid who was a AA in the U/18
Clavarino - was capt of vic country and has a lot of ability / but still growing and developing
Phillips - the best runner in the squad outside Geary and at same age is progressing better than his brother , who is very good
Battle - has shown more grit and skill than a lot of the senior players
Marshall - a rookie pick who has shown he can play senior footy

cheer up people - imagine if they all had a good year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just going through a few delistings from other teams, can we pick up one or more with late or rookie picks?
If so a young bloke from Sydney Angus Styles hasn’t played an AFL game yet, will only be 20 next year, looks like he may have a bit of pace judging by his draft highlights. Has had a year in the system, so worth a try or would he just be a list clogger?

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-11-27/rookie-draft-14-

Yes I like Styles as well, drafted from Sandy Dragons & Caulfield Grammar. Hope they consider AJ - even for the Rookie list

Last edited:
FIRST ROUND

Pick 1: Carlton ----- WALSH

Pick 2: Gold Coast ----- JL

Pick 3: Gold Coast (received as compensation for Tom Lynch) --- RANKINE

Pick 4: St Kilda ----- M.KING

Pick 5: Port Adelaide (received off Brisbane) ----- ROSEE

Pick 6: Gold Coast (received off Melbourne, via on-trades) ----- B.KING

Pick 7: Western Bulldogs ------ WALSH

Pick 8: Adelaide ----- HATELY

Pick 9: Greater Western Sydney (received off Essendon, via on-trades)

Pick 10: Port Adelaide

Pick 11: Greater Western Sydney (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

Pick 12: Geelong

Pick 13: Adelaide (received off Sydney, via on-trades)

Pick 14: Fremantle (received off Fremantle)

Pick 15: Port Adelaide (received off Hawthorn)

Pick 16: Adelaide (received off Melbourne in 2017)

Pick 17: Richmond

Pick 18: Collingwood

Pick 19: Greater Western Sydney (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

The one reason I'm not sold in Smith is he is already doing all the extras in terms of his diet, fitness, recovery etc. He seems like he is already pushing himself to get everything out of himself, how much improvement will be have in him compared to everyone else who will start doing those extras once drafted.

I wouldn't have thought that a professional attitude, a great work ethic and high level of commitment is a reason to not draft a player

I wouldn't have thought that a professional attitude, a great work ethic and high level of commitment is a reason to not draft a player
I wouldnt be disappointed to have him at the club. But I am less excited about the player he could become because he is already acting like a professional. He doesn't have that unknown x factor about him like some of the other prospects have - you know the kid will play 150 solid games of football but we have enough of those types. We need a highlight machine, whether they are a tall or small, to bring some excitement back. It's the same reason why I wasn't a fan of Brayshaw last year and was so glad Freo jumped the gun on drafting him.

What a joke.
Dan Hannebery
Swans: Lost - Experience and on-field leadership.
St Kilda: Gained - Player who the jury is out on.
It's like they can't give the club anything.
Its doesn't matter what we do , it is always wrong.

The thing is the club can easily be turned into a power house.

Before the Mathews era Hawthorn where shocking
Geelong where not much better in the 80s
The Demons where trying to merge with Hawthorn
The Kangaroos didn't win a flag until the late 70s

Just take Storm for a example - good management , good leadership , good players and you have a powerhouse

We now have a manager in Lethlean , List Manager James Gallagher who are professionals and bringing in great leaders like Slater , Ratten and bringing in new people to help out in anyway like Darren O’Shaughnessy who will analyse our recruiting, how we analyse our game-plan, matchday, and how we utilise all our data.

These are great moves for our club - they will turn this ship around and then just watch everyone jump on the bandwagon

I wouldnt be disappointed to have him at the club. But I am less excited about the player he could become because he is already acting like a professional. He doesn't have that unknown x factor about him like some of the other prospects have - you know the kid will play 150 solid games of football but we have enough of those types. We need a highlight machine, whether they are a tall or small, to bring some excitement back. It's the same reason why I wasn't a fan of Brayshaw last year and was so glad Freo jumped the gun on drafting him.
With Smith you know what you will get

A couple of days from the end of the draft a few including me were saying that was it for us. Unless there was a big surprise, we were going to the draft with 4. We didn't have the armoury of picks to do much more. In fact, quite a few of us were imploring the club to keep Pick 4 intact.

So to see in here and on social media that the club are a 'failure' and 'disappointing' etc etc is just wrong. We sadly didn't have a surplus of players to trade, and so logically we didn't have picks to play with. Fairly obvious I would have thought. On the other side of the coin our list remains intact and we have cut the guys that we most needed to. All good. No one walked out on us, or seriously tried to by the look of it.

Hannebury and Kent good inclusions, a few pick swaps, Hickey out, and we are represented in each round of the draft. And Pick 4 could still garner a very good deal from those interested. I would love to have done more, but don't see how. Remains to be seen whether all the hype of those traded in and out of other clubs will be a success. Just as it remains to be seen whether who we pick in the draft will be successes.

Media critics giving us C's for our trade period are just writing their usual low brow rubbish. With the hand we had we did well, and now await draft night with some expectation. More building blocks for our future. If we had traded away that position just to make a splash now I would be mad. But we haven't.

Be positive Saints fans.

In Smith I see an athletic, competitive beast with a well-rounded game who is an absolute lock to play 200 games and be a regular in the top 5 of his clubs B&F. The fact that he has an excellent work ethic just makes me even more confident that he will thrive in the AFL environment. Like Shiel he doesn't have a bag full of freakish tricks but also like Shiel he's an inside/outside midfielder who racks up possessions and is a two-way runner. And we just tried to offer Shiel millions of dollars and several high draft picks to get him.

In Max King I see a very talented prospect who could either turn out like Joe Daniher or Tom Boyd/Josh Schache/Scott Gumbleton. Rankine is destined to be a star but it's probably going to be in South Australia in the long run.

A couple of days from the end of the draft a few including me were saying that was it for us. Unless there was a big surprise, we were going to the draft with 4. We didn't have the armoury of picks to do much more. In fact, quite a few of us were imploring the club to keep Pick 4 intact.

So to see in here and on social media that the club are a 'failure' and 'disappointing' etc etc is just wrong. We sadly didn't have a surplus of players to trade, and so logically we didn't have picks to play with. Fairly obvious I would have thought. On the other side of the coin our list remains intact and we have cut the guys that we most needed to. All good. No one walked out on us, or seriously tried to by the look of it.

Hannebury and Kent good inclusions, a few pick swaps, Hickey out, and we are represented in each round of the draft. And Pick 4 could still garner a very good deal from those interested. I would love to have done more, but don't see how. Remains to be seen whether all the hype of those traded in and out of other clubs will be a success. Just as it remains to be seen whether who we pick in the draft will be successes.

Media critics giving us C's for our trade period are just writing their usual low brow rubbish. With the hand we had we did well, and now await draft night with some expectation. More building blocks for our future. If we had traded away that position just to make a splash now I would be mad. But we haven't.

Be positive Saints fans.
We got a B on Fox!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/23a0e1591b29a78f0b8ed22270aa6cfb

Just ignore the 2019 ladder position predictions...:eek:

Meanwhile that campaigner SOS is openly advertising pick one for sale at the right price. Bad news for us. But we still get pick 4, which I can definitely live with if the blues want to give up their pick to SA or QLD and leave Walsh for us.

Eh pick 1 gets advertised every year and every year it never gets traded.

I'd actually give points to sos if he had the guts to pull the trigger.

We got a B on Fox!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/23a0e1591b29a78f0b8ed22270aa6cfb

Just ignore the 2019 ladder position predictions...:eek:

I actually can't believe we are getting critised for this trade period. We did literally everything we set out to do.

I suppose you can say we missed out on Shiel and Scully but both of those were solely due to ladder position and there's not much you can do about that after the season.

B to B plus is probably right though.

As for our draft position, while it's good enough considering we also added 2 players for very little we all know that is hardly locked in right now.

FIRST ROUND

Pick 1: Carlton ----- WALSH

Pick 2: Gold Coast ----- JL

Pick 3: Gold Coast (received as compensation for Tom Lynch) --- RANKINE

Pick 4: St Kilda ----- M.KING

Pick 5: Port Adelaide (received off Brisbane) ----- ROSEE

Pick 6: Gold Coast (received off Melbourne, via on-trades) ----- B.KING

Pick 7: Western Bulldogs ------ WALSH

Pick 8: Adelaide ----- HATELY

Pick 9: Greater Western Sydney (received off Essendon, via on-trades)

Pick 10: Port Adelaide

Pick 11: Greater Western Sydney (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)

Pick 12: Geelong

Pick 13: Adelaide (received off Sydney, via on-trades)

Pick 14: Fremantle (received off Fremantle)

Pick 15: Port Adelaide (received off Hawthorn)

Pick 16: Adelaide (received off Melbourne in 2017)

Pick 17: Richmond

Pick 18: Collingwood

Pick 19: Greater Western Sydney (received off Fremantle, via on-trades)
Walsh x 2?
1. Carlton and 7. doggies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back