List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that makes me paranoid about our aggressive attack on FA is the ability to keep harmony in the squad regarding salaries. Basically not impacting our ability to retain players that are key to our immediate future success.

Who on our current list do you think would expect a significant pay rise on their next contract or be a flight risk?

Obviously discount players that are not critical to our game plan and chances of success. So it’s players that are already on an upward trajectory and would attract interest elsewhere so have some bargaining power - not including players probably already at their peak.

Without knowing the players salaries I’d be guessing at

- Billings
- Gresham
- Acres
- Membrey
- Ross? (Can’t remember when he last extended)
- Dunstan (if he continues where he left off)
- McCartin (if he has a good couple of years)
- Sinclair

If they perform as expected then I’d also add
- Clark
- Coffield

I do trust the club to manage the SC obviously, just a paranoid dickhead.
Are you talking to me Man
In all seriousness, we just have to hope and pray we have the right people in place

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
i would say the club would have a much much better idea than the lawnmower man about how to manage the SC and also what players are available to us and who are not... they are in the business of making our team stronger within the restraints of the SC so if that means they spend big on McG then that means that was the best option given the information in front of them ...
as you said before let lawnmower men quote cutting lawns .. let list managers balance the SC ..

Well let’s just shut down the conversation. Let’s never talk about teams. Let’s only talk about things we know about. Big footy is finished. Luckily myself and others you included do talk about things that the club know more about. I’m choosing to talk about getting a mid before a back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
i just think if you are going to pay overs for something you pay overs for the best money can buy ... Gaff doesnt say that to me.. i cant see members lining the street to get a membership cause of Gaff... i cant see kids lining up to get Gaff's signature.. Gaff isnt going to be the "face of the club" type player ... i dont want to be paying top dollar for that ... but again im just a fan so if the club choose that way ill cheer him on but i personally dont rate him

Let the club decide who is best not a random on bf. See joe exciting this place will be with responses like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBalls

Cancelled
Aug 26, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Priority is improving the side.
Maybe Rance ?

Absolutely.

The biggest overall team improvement would come from improving the areas we are weakest though.

Whilst Rance would improve our team, Josh Kelly would improve us more as we have more able deputies in defence than we do in midfield.

Of course sometimes you just have to take what you can get and McGovern would be a good get and improve us if he’s interested.

Again all hypothetical and am sure the recruitment team will be looking at all positions to improve us as much as possible.

Human Person

Custom title
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
We need top class midfielders any other players are superfluous.
Disagree, whilst they are what would help us the most, they are the hard to get as well, actually any top class player is. If an A-lister wants to come to us then we shouldn’t turn them down because they’re not a midfielder. That’s just bad recruiting.

Also, imagine if we had a chance to get a great stay at home small forward, would we pass that up because they aren’t a mid?

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Disagree, whilst they are what would help us the most, they are the hard to get as well, actually any top class player is. If an A-lister wants to come to us then we shouldn’t turn them down because they’re not a midfielder. That’s just bad recruiting.

Also, imagine if we had a chance to get a great stay at home small forward, would we pass that up because they aren’t a mid?
take anyone who will make us a better team - for instance take lynch , even if we are stacked with forwards and then unload who we don;t need and then continue put out the feelers for whoever else we need

PrinceofSeaford

Team Captain
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think I we finish above west coast this year it will make getting gaff through free agency a hell of a lot easier... pay him good money (which we have and will need to start spending) whilst not overs... 2 consecutive picks inside the top 10 is pretty hard to turn down

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think I we finish above west coast this year it will make getting gaff through free agency a hell of a lot easier... pay him good money (which we have and will need to start spending) whilst not overs... 2 consecutive picks inside the top 10 is pretty hard to turn down
We will have to pay him overs to get WC band one compensation, but we’ll have to pay any player overs to come here anyway and I’m fine with that. The money has to go somewhere:

crasha301

worm farmer
Sep 21, 2014
The Farm
AFL Club
St Kilda
We will have to pay him overs to get WC band one compensation, but we’ll have to pay any player overs to come here anyway and I’m fine with that. The money has to go somewhere:
Considering we came 3rd or 4th in clearances last year and roughly the same for shots on goal it shows our midfield can hold its own. And with such a Young group it should only get better.

Someone like gaff would add the extra need or speed and line breaking ability.

I don't care if he doesn't tackle, neither did dal Santo.

I noticed a couple of times in the JLT games stuv set up as that sweeper role at boundary throw ins and ball ups. Worked a treat a few times as he received the handball after 3-4 disposals. I'd love to have gaff and Steven both playing that role. Can't tag them both!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Band 1 is something roughly 5 years at 700k p.a? If that's all it took to get him, I'd be over the moon.

Could mean another go at a free agent, either this year or next..

Is McGovern getting 1.4 ? Pretty sure the club will get the SC right seemed to have done a VERY good job over the last few years and have put us in great position to get some good players. Who gives a rats what other clubs have done, no clubs had done what Tigers had til last year. Never get anywhere worry about what other clubs have done in the past. If McGovern is what the club thinks is the right move then get it done.

I get what you are saying but since 2011 keeping our salary cap under control has been easy. It's been a difficult exercise paying the minimum with the lack of stars we have on our books. A lot of our kids are probably getting paid at least twice what players of the same quality are getting at other clubs. We won't really test our ability until we have half a dozen elite players while trying to bring in other talent. I would say Essendon (who get a free hit by paying players compo outside the cap) and Port Adelaide who brought in a heap of players while having a side that was playing finals, have done well managing the cap.

Mc Govern might simply be a way to spend money we have to spend or lose, I guess we front load him so he gets a few million a year early then gets cheaper later on.

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda

Its not just about recruiting it also affects list management for the future. As an example if we recruit McGovern we have Brown contracted plus Goddard, Logan and Clavarino rotting away in the reserves. Whats to suggest one them or Carlisle cant get to the same level. Smart clubs develop their own players in the AFL and only bring players when they have glaring needs on their list eg Hawthorn.

We have a glaring hole in our midfield with an excess of inside mids with trade value. Be smart Saints all we need is midfielders with speed and good ball users.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Considering we came 3rd or 4th in clearances last year and roughly the same for shots on goal it shows our midfield can hold its own. And with such a Young group it should only get better.

Someone like gaff would add the extra need or speed and line breaking ability.

I don't care if he doesn't tackle, neither did dal Santo.

I noticed a couple of times in the JLT games stuv set up as that sweeper role at boundary throw ins and ball ups. Worked a treat a few times as he received the handball after 3-4 disposals. I'd love to have gaff and Steven both playing that role. Can't tag them both!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You'll certainly care if he doesnt tackle once he's wearing RWB.

We need two way midfielders, not front runners who jog after opponents when we lose the ball. The defensive running of the midfield is what is holding us back from being a very good side... of course hitting targets will also help us in that regard.

they released the formula didnt they? i wonder if someone can equate it out to $$$

I get what you are saying but since 2011 keeping our salary cap under control has been easy. It's been a difficult exercise paying the minimum with the lack of stars we have on our books. A lot of our kids are probably getting paid at least twice what players of the same quality are getting at other clubs. We won't really test our ability until we have half a dozen elite players while trying to bring in other talent. I would say Essendon (who get a free hit by paying players compo outside the cap) and Port Adelaide who brought in a heap of players while having a side that was playing finals, have done well managing the cap.

Mc Govern might simply be a way to spend money we have to spend or lose, I guess we front load him so he gets a few million a year early then gets cheaper later on.
McGovern is a 2 time AA its not like we would be throwing money at a spud, imo he would improve our list and be in our best 3 to 5 players.
If he is available and wanted to come to us of course we should throw our hat in. As for managing the SC most of us on here have been saying how well the club is being managed so it should be fine and if we want to be a good side and club we just have to get it right.

Its not just about recruiting it also affects list management for the future. As an example if we recruit McGovern we have Brown contracted plus Goddard, Logan and Clavarino rotting away in the reserves. Whats to suggest one them or Carlisle cant get to the same level. Smart clubs develop their own players in the AFL and only bring players when they have glaring needs on their list eg Hawthorn.

We have a glaring hole in our midfield with an excess of inside mids with trade value. Be smart Saints all we need is midfielders with speed and good ball users.
Think thats what the Pies thought when they went after Treloar.
Yes I agree we need mids but also think we need more good in every position.

McGovern is a 2 time AA its not like we would be throwing money at a spud, imo he would improve our list and be in our best 3 to 5 players.
If he is available and wanted to come to us of course we should throw our hat in. As for managing the SC most of us on here have been saying how well the club is being managed so it should be fine and if we want to be a good side and club we just have to get it right.

I just don't understand what our list management is doing. To me there is a lack of outside mids, and especially fast ones. I would be out putting huge overs to Aaron Hall etc. If he came to us he'd be a star, we don't need him to carry the load or be something he's not, he could run around being a seagull and make us a much better side. Mc Govern is like buying a bigger plug for the bath when you really need more water. That said I'd have him if there was nothing else, he's not our most pressing need though. Small quick forward pocket and quick outside mids are just about the only thing we need now.

I just don't understand what our list management is doing. To me there is a lack of outside mids, and especially fast ones. I would be out putting huge overs to Aaron Hall etc. If he came to us he'd be a star, we don't need him to carry the load or be something he's not, he could run around being a seagull and make us a much better side. Mc Govern is like buying a bigger plug for the bath when you really need more water. That said I'd have him if there was nothing else, he's not our most pressing need though. Small quick forward pocket and quick outside mids are just about the only thing we need now.
Agree with a lot of that but I just don't get the love for Hall, just my opinion but would rather Gaff to Hall every day of the week.
I also don't understand some of the list management decisions and don't think our list is as advanced or as good as what a lot of others do on here.

Agree with a lot of that but I just don't get the love for Hall, just my opinion but would rather Gaff to Hall every day of the week.
I also don't understand some of the list management decisions and don't think our list is as advanced or as good as what a lot of others do on here.

Hall is a bit quicker which appeals to me. Gaff is good too, both make space and get on the outside and set up goals. Injury is his biggest issue, he never seems to play a full season. It's funny under Lyon we always wanted a quick outside line breaker and went after Lovett and then Brett Peake, now we are looking again.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hall is a bit quicker which appeals to me. Gaff is good too, both make space and get on the outside and set up goals. Injury is his biggest issue, he never seems to play a full season. It's funny under Lyon we always wanted a quick outside line breaker and went after Lovett and then Brett Peake, now we are looking again.
I’d be happy with either or both.

Gaff as a FA is appealing. Getting Gaff and a first round pick in a strong draft would be great. Getting Hall for a decent price on top would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back