2nds 2018 Stand Alone VFL - Inaugural season over. Time for reviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Jackson VFL 2018

North Melbourne 6.4 13.8 15.11 16.13 (109)
Box Hill Hawks 1.0 4.2 8.5 11.7 (73)

GOALS:
North Melbourne: Larkey 5 Zurhaar 4 Garner 2 Narrier Nielson Walker Mountford Hayden
Box Hill Hawks: Hanrahan 2 Howe 2 Whitecross 2 Nash 2 O'Brien Brolic Schoenmakers

BEST:
North Melbourne: Rippon Ahern Zurhaar Larkey Nielson Jansen
Box Hill Hawks: Howe Moore Whitecross Schoenmakers Nash Miles

Hayden stiff

Quicker, longer kick and more skilled by foot.
I havent seen a great deal of pace from him (just seems normal), I certainly know he has a nice jump. Havent seen his range either, but you are probably correct.

Skills wise... Well I think all of the young boys have work to do, but they seem to be really playing with confidence and skills wise all look on track.

Swallow was pretty good.
Never said he wasn't, he just wasn't the quickest bloke (except for his first 5-10 metres bursting out of a clearance area pre-achilles) and was never the longest kick of the ball, which wasn't his go anyway. His kicking on the outside was never great, wasn't terrible by any means though.

Last edited:
I havent seen a great deal of pace from him (just seems normal), I certainly know he has a nice jump. Havent seen his range either, but you are probably correct.

Skills wise... Well I think all of the young boys have work to do, but they seem to be really playing with confidence and skills wise all look on track.
Pace wise, I'm just going off his pre-draft highlights, so I could be wrong on that one. Thumping kick, so his kicking penetration may make his kicking look better than Swallow on the outside.

Never said he wasn't, he just wasn't the quickest bloke (except for his first 5-10 metres bursting out of a clearance area pre-achilles) and was never the longest kick of the ball, which was his go anyway. His kicking on the outside was never great, wasn't terrible by any means though.
Short too. Really hurt him as his career went on IMO as newer mids coming in were bigger and bigger. Was such a beast inside but at a guess he'd be a good 4cm+ shorter than the average inside mid these days.

The nice thing from what I saw today is that we have a number of boys who should be able to step up when needed. In my opinion Zurhaar was perhaps the most influential, Ahern is just about ready to go. Preussy was terrific as was Larkey, LDU showed some nice passages but generally a really good even team effort. And isn't it so good to have our own Reserves team again.

Good performance - couldn’t expect to maintain that start.

Zurhaar was great - needs to be in the seniors
Preuss/larkey were good
Hayden playing so well so quickly after injury was surprising
LDU was fumbles today
Walker was good but needs to get the soft efforts out of his game.
Hibberd I just don’t see it with this guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had him as best on...and have said before I think he should be getting as many games into him as possible.

I guess today he was saying pick me. He's ahead of Hrovat.
Yeah probably agree. Bigger, stronger, and looks very confident at the moment. Not sure if they play the same role, but Hrovat needs to show a decent amount of more skill, agility, and quickness to get ahead of Zurhaar. Zurhaar seems to really want to dominate the play, and he has the tools to do it.

Preuss 2nd for Hitouts to advantage in the VFL apparently. Nothing to shirk at, though you would expect something like that considering he would surely have to be taller with better reach that everyone else.

Maj didn't look overjoyed sitting there :(
Was happy enough to have a chat though :)

Yeah probably agree. Bigger, stronger, and looks very confident at the moment. Not sure if they play the same role, but Hrovat needs to show a decent amount of more skill, agility, and quickness to get ahead of Zurhaar. Zurhaar seems to really want to dominate the play, and he has the tools to do it.
My issue with Hrovat is he has little impact on the game and wasn't getting enough of the ball. So he offers little value to the side.....at the moment over other players but hopefully he can.

But laid plenty of tackles last week to his credit so just needs to do that at AFL level, which is part of the reaosn no doubt why he didnt come back in immediately after coming back.

Part of Zurharr's issues was/is his endurance. As soon as he builds that more he will become more a frequent player in the side. He has such an enormous upside its not funny.

Last edited:
I'd like to come in to one of these threads one day when folks pumped up the good efforts by kids and fringe players and DIDN'T have to resort to s**t canning someone else in the process.

Also, whats with the automatic wrist slashing default position with some people around here? Someone gets a bruise and the razor blades automatically come out.

Some of hawk friends want to try and steal Larkey off us after that match

They literally have NOTHING that they could trade that we would want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back