2nds 2018 Stand Alone VFL - Inaugural season over. Time for reviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ahern is just well behind in match fitness, he seemed to be getting a fair amount of work on his legs every time he came off. I suspect we won't see him in the early rounds.
I love the way Zurharr goes about it, really attacks the contest with a manic intensity that we don't have enough of. Fair enough his kicking needs work but I think what he brings to the table earns him a spot in the 22.
Will Walker looked good, he covered a lot of ground and really got involved. I think he will be good.
I think Hibberd was pretty good but a lot of one on one contests he would just get out positioned really easily. He was very reliable kicking out from full back.
Maj was pretty good, he spoiled a lot of contests and took some good marks. His speed was good which allowed him to run and goal. When the ball is on the ground he is out of his depth.
They seemed to expose our backline very easily, in the second half especially they would win a contest kick it forward and have three on one or worse. Thankfully they kicked poorly but I think it would be a disaster against better opposition.
The ground was quite windy blowing to the city end. It seemed to me Williamstown adapted to the conditions better, reading the ball going longer to the city end etc. If we are going to make it a home ground for the VFL and AFLW teams we need to take advantage of this.

Others have given pretty comprehensive reports, so I'll limit my two cents worth to key points:

Concerns:

Durdin: played as a key forward, and didn't take a mark all day of any kind from what I could see; his hands are a big problem. I seem to recall in his draft year he played a lot as a ruck, and I fear this marking weakness may have escaped observation with him in the centre square

Dumont: played in and under, and did the tough work in there, but lacks impact/weapons. On this outing, the sentiment on this board that others have gone past him is pretty accurate

Disposal efficiency: Zurhaar and Hibberd have the athletic attributes, but the skill by foot is questionable. Hibberd took the kick-ins ok, but his field kicking is a weakness. People rightly comment on Zurhaar's toughness, but his kicking in and around the 50 was sloppy

Jefferies: I'm assuming the ginger headed boy in 43 was Jefferies, in which case Eric Wallace comes to mind

Pluses:

Xerri kicked a couple of goals, showing he can get around the ground, and his tap work is good considering his build

Ahern was good in the back half (and of course, got through the game), Anderson lively in his first game, Simpkin played centre square throughout and got plenty of it. Farrier and Josh Williams showed glimpses

Maj was the best key back on the ground. Made a bad blue in the third quarter when his direct opponent slipped a tackle and goaled, but Maj's second half contested marking was good, and best of all for mine, his distribution by foot was impeccable, picking out the next loose man and making every kick count. Spoiled well, and got loose on the run twice for bounces, kicking a goal from one in the first quarter

Larkey: three goals, very promising forward, and played back half in the last quarter, no doubt to broaden his education.

Others have given pretty comprehensive reports, so I'll limit my two cents worth to key points:

Concerns:

Durdin: played as a key forward, and didn't take a mark all day of any kind from what I could see; his hands are a big problem. I seem to recall in his draft year he played a lot as a ruck, and I fear this marking weakness may have escaped observation with him in the centre square

Dumont: played in and under, and did the tough work in there, but lacks impact/weapons. On this outing, the sentiment on this board that others have gone past him is pretty accurate

Disposal efficiency: Zurhaar and Hibberd have the athletic attributes, but the skill by foot is questionable. Hibberd took the kick-ins ok, but his field kicking is a weakness. People rightly comment on Zurhaar's toughness, but his kicking in and around the 50 was sloppy

Jefferies: I'm assuming the ginger headed boy in 43 was Jefferies, in which case Eric Wallace comes to mind

Pluses:

Xerri kicked a couple of goals, showing he can get around the ground, and his tap work is good considering his build

Ahern was good in the back half (and of course, got through the game), Anderson lively in his first game, Simpkin played centre square throughout and got plenty of it. Farrier and Josh Williams showed glimpses

Maj was the best key back on the ground. Made a bad blue in the third quarter when his direct opponent slipped a tackle and goaled, but Maj's second half contested marking was good, and best of all for mine, his distribution by foot was impeccable, picking out the next loose man and making every kick count. Spoiled well, and got loose on the run twice for bounces, kicking a goal from one in the first quarter

Larkey: three goals, very promising forward, and played back half in the last quarter, no doubt to broaden his education.
Go for as long post as you want. It's good to get different perspectives or to strengthen others opinions.

Concerns:

Pluses:

I concur with everything said here.

Durdin forward is interesting, I thought he had trained back all pre season.

Have they thrown that out the window after a poor JLT 1?
I think they are experimenting, like they did with him against Brisbane.

In action
Majak Daw, Jordan McIvor-Clark (VFL-listed), Jed Anderson, Luke McDonald, Jy Simpkin, Trent Dumont, Paul Ahern, Mitch Hibberd, Nick Larkey, Matthew Northe (VFL-listed), Ben McKay, Sam Durdin, Daniel Nielson, Will Walker, Tom Hotchin (VFL-listed), Braydon Preuss, Mason Wood, Liam Whelan (VFL-listed), Josh Williams, Max Hayes (VFL-listed), Tristan Xerri, Tom Murphy, Gordon Narrier, Quintin Montanaro (VFL-listed), Tom Jeffries, Cameron Zurhaar, Oscar Junker

http://m.nmfc.com.au/news/2018-03-17/vfl-report-card

Concerns:

Pluses:

Great review - really appreciate it.

Durdin's marking skills were a feature of his youth and first year at North - this and his good kicking skills are what he has.

What he lacks is intensity and any physical presence - it may well be that he can't develop this and he won't make it at senior level.

He still has some time on his side but he needs to progress in 2018 - I prefer him forward (because of his kicking for goal skills) but its not much good having accurate kicking if you can't get the ball or at least make an impact physically on opponents if you can't get the ball.

I like Durds - but we need to see more.

btw - great comments re Maj.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: McDonald, Larkey, Xerri, Preuss, McKay, Nielsen, Walker, Murphy, Daw*

Good but rusty: Anderson, Zurhaar, Ahern, Simpkin, Dumont, Hibberd

Reasonable: Wood, Williams'

Underwhelming: Durdin, Jeffries, Narrier

Larkey just needs 6-8kgs and he will kick the door clean off its hinges.

*Majak executed his basic skills well today for a change, but showed some poor awareness on a couple of occasions when blokes got in front of him and took marks within range. This is his level.

Last edited:
A few of us, me included, have said the same. He took plenty of big marks last year though.

And to repeat what I said, what he did in VFL last year was amazing in his first year.

Guys like him can be club defining as they're such a bonus if they come off. Look at what Brown has done for us for the investment (in picks, not necessarily games and development). Massive win. You only need a handful of these to go your way and things can turn for the better very quickly.

Will probably cost him a spot in the AFL. JLT also horrible. Want him to make it but has to address this.

He is getting more touches and to a lot more contests from what I have seen this year, which is amazing considering he has added 10kgs..

He needs to work on composure. I do think he will be a player, but he still needs the rough edges knocked out of him.

Might take until 2020, but he's worth perseverance.

He is getting more touches and to a lot more contests from what I have seen this year, which is amazing considering he has added 10kgs..

He needs to work on composure. I do think he will be a player, but he still needs the rough edges knocked out of him.

Yep - needs to find a bit more of it but makes things happen and has some mongrel. Big boy now. Has certainly bulked up.

How old is he? 19? The raw ability and power is enormous.

Guys like him can be club defining as they're such a bonus if they come off. Look at what Brown has done for us for the investment (in picks, not necessarily games and development). Massive win. You only need a handful of these to go your way and things can turn for the better very quickly.
I was also pleading for recruitment of Brown. I wasn't around here then though.

Recruitment have done well IMO getting value picks.....but hopefully above mentioned turn out as well as Brown.

Good: McDonald, Larkey, Xerri, Preuss, McKay, Nielsen, Walker, Murphy, Daw*

Good but rusty: Anderson, Zurhaar, Ahern, Simpkin, Dumont, Hibberd

Reasonable: Wood, Williams'

Underwhelming: Durdin, Jeffries, Narrier

Larkey just needs 6-8kgs and he will kick the door clean off its hinges.

*Majak executed his basic skills well today for a change, but showed some poor awareness on a couple of occasions when blokes got in front of him and took marks withing range. This is his level.
You watched the game or is that a recap from provided info her?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back