Review 2018 Summer Series 2- Ron or Denis?

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Series 1 was a hotly debated debacle.

So here goes with No 2.

Barassi or Pagan?

Barassi.

5 grand finals in a row.

Both sides ultimately under performed.

We could quite easily be on 6 flags with the class and toughness in either Era's side.

It's a really tough call but on review - Barassi.

While the 10 year rule and a solid crop of players helped, Barassi had to bring the group together and create history.

Denis' achievements were both amazing (real flags don't happen every day) and underwhelming (that group should've taken 1-2 more and stood alongside the recent era lions, cats, hawks).

Photo finish - short half head in this but Barassi. The pressure on him to achieve was extraordinary. Barassi and Pagan remain two of the best blokes I have met and what they achieved was exceptional. Both should have won at least one more flag. If either had it would have tipped this their way. Both great men coaching great teams and achieving great results.

you caould argue dennis had a bigger hand on building the list that ron did with his work in the u18s.
Fair call - both did great work so whilst I chose Barassi it was by the shortest possible margin.

Met both of them........Ron gave me the time of day, Dennis didn't and actually quite arrogant.

Ron
Never met Dennis so can't comment there, but years ago the old man got a bit star stuck and started chewing off Barrassi's ear when he saw him walking in Richmond, they both spoke about 70s footballers like they were at a country pie night.

Never met Dennis so can't comment there, but years ago the old man got a bit star stuck and started chewing off Barrassi's ear when he saw him walking in Richmond, they both spoke about 70s footballers like they were at a country pie night.
Worked a bit with Ron and he is a genuine super bloke. Loves a chat, especially about footy. Denis is the same. Had some great conversations with him too. Both the sort of bloke I love to spend time with.

260713_2_Large.jpg

Ronald put us on the map we became sexy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Barassi.

But its a close run thing. I agree that both underperformed by at least one flag.
Pagan should've got '98, no doubt.

Not sure about Barassi though. '78 maybe, but it was injury and suspension related rather than wasted opportunity. '74 we weren't good enough and '76 was always going to be tough.

I'd vote Barassi by a bee's dick.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Not sure about Barassi though. '78 maybe, but it was injury and suspension related rather than wasted opportunity. '74 we weren't good enough and '76 was always going to be tough.

Its very close. I think Pagan should have done better. Barassi could have as well, but I guess it comes down to how many GFs his sides played.

Pagan sort of owned that side and had developed long term relationships with players who he had helped shape as juniors. They were very dominant juniors too. Two flags and only 3 GFs with that side is definitely underperforming. Especially to me as we get further away and see it more clearly against the surrounding teams. If you compare the sides i think that the Pagan 90s squad was more talented (but its a close run thing, there were some guns in both sides and the Barassi side had multiple Brownlow winners) and that they should have played in (at least) 5 GFs between 1994 and 2000 and won at least 3. And if things had happened differently off field possibly even jagged another shot in the early 00s.

Barassi ... maybe could have made 2 more GFs if things went our way (79,80). Maybe 78 ... but its alot more of a maybe than saying "Maybe pagan's sides should have won/played more GFs". I think RB did more with less overall if you count the players and the way they basically assembled a team from scratch. Really I think he did as well as he could have with the crew he had.

But that maybe stuff is all speculation.

On results Brassi had 2 out of 5 and Pagan 2 out of 3 (but imo should have either been 3 of 3 or 33 Gf wins from more than 3 GF appearances. These days I'll always look at it as a potentially lost opportunity - speculation sure.)

Barassi is responsible for over half our GF appearances as well as half our wins.

Didn't injuries derail our 83 premiership assault ?

Hawthorn 13.13 (91) North Melbourne 21.16 (142) Princes Park 13,945 7 May 1983

North Melbourne 19.14 (128) Essendon 16.11 (107) Arden Street Oval 22,340 9 July 1983

Putting this one in there just because

North Melbourne25.14 (164)Footscray10.11 (71)VFL Park12,0286 August 1983

Its very close. I think Pagan should have done better. Barassi could have as well, but I guess it comes down to how many GFs his sides played.

Pagan sort of owned that side and had developed long term relationships with players who he had helped shape as juniors. They were very dominant juniors too. Two flags and only 3 GFs with that side is definitely underperforming. Especially to me as we get further away and see it more clearly against the surrounding teams. If you compare the sides i think that the Pagan 90s squad was more talented (but its a close run thing, there were some guns in both sides and the Barassi side had multiple Brownlow winners) and that they should have played in (at least) 5 GFs between 1994 and 2000 and won at least 3. And if things had happened differently off field possibly even jagged another shot in the early 00s.

Barassi ... maybe could have made 2 more GFs if things went our way (79,80). Maybe 78 ... but its alot more of a maybe than saying "Maybe pagan's sides should have won/played more GFs". I think RB did more with less overall if you count the players and the way they basically assembled a team from scratch. Really I think he did as well as he could have with the crew he had.

But that maybe stuff is all speculation.

On results Brassi had 2 out of 5 and Pagan 2 out of 3 (but imo should have either been 3 of 3 or 33 Gf wins from more than 3 GF appearances. These days I'll always look at it as a potentially lost opportunity - speculation sure.)

Barassi is responsible for over half our GF appearances as well as half our wins.

Injuries certainly derailed ‘79. Glendinning, Bryant, Henshaw and Law all missed the PF. Greig was coming off a broken arm, Dempsey an eye injury and Dench still wasn’t right after the knee. Add to that the injury to Byrne early in the year.

Didn't injuries derail our 83 premiership assault ?

Hawthorn 13.13 (91) North Melbourne 21.16 (142) Princes Park 13,945 7 May 1983

North Melbourne 19.14 (128) Essendon 16.11 (107) Arden Street Oval 22,340 9 July 1983

Putting this one in there just because

North Melbourne25.14 (164)Footscray10.11 (71)VFL Park12,0286 August 1983

The cliff came up pretty quick. Adding the round 1 debacle in ‘84 to the two finals losses in ‘83,then a spate of retirements, indicates the whole thing just fell apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back