NFL 2018 Super Bowl LIII - Los Angeles Rams vs New England

Super Bowl options.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting Belichick saying that McDaniels changed it up and went with heavy set in the fourth with two TEs and Burkhead and Develin. Said that was the key. Resulted in two biggest runs and forced Phillips to take off extra CB and cover with LBs.

Foles was in position to win the game if you remember. & wouldn't have been carrying any 'Brady/Pat is unbeatable Gohd' baggage into yesterdays contest.

Anyway, not going out on a limb to say any of the defeated NFC playoff sides would have put up a better showing than the Rams managed.

C'mon saints were robbed in the NFC the worst no call late in the game possible. Saints would have won the the game if that call is made.

Drew brees does not put up 3 points, Goff was horrendous

Need to tip your cap to Brady and Bill incredible some of the wins are just crazy Atlanta superbowl incredible.

Literally a coin toss against the chiefs won the Pat's a superbowl.

If Mahones starts with the ball chiefs excellent chance to win NFC

But that's the Patriots in a nutshell can't deny the brilliance of Kraft, bill, tom but you just shake your head at the same time

Edelman superbowl MVP suspended 4 games for PEDs lol coming off a blown acl last season.

Deflategate
Spy gate
Tuck Rule
Malfunctioning headsets

Interesting Belichick saying that McDaniels changed it up and went with heavy set in the fourth with two TEs and Burkhead and Develin. Said that was the key. Resulted in two biggest runs and forced Phillips to take off extra CB and cover with LBs.
Would have been nice if that in game adjustment came a little earlier but all is well that ends well.

We may have been lucky to get a close game yesterday.
A coin toss win to the chiefs and it’s a 40 point win for them.

We may have been lucky to get a close game yesterday.
A coin toss win to the chiefs and it’s a 40 point win for them.

Lol at the prospect of the KC secondary stopping anyone, I'd even back Jeff Fisher's Jared Goff to put up at least 4 tds.

That's the thing about perceived pressure, it forces you into bad reads.

Dad can only tell you what to do down until 15 secs left on the play clock too.

Anyone else think the Rams were too clever by half when they elected to receive? Thought it was strange when they gave the ball to the Pats seemingly for no other reason than they knew the Pats would've deferred if they won the toss.

Didn't make much difference to the actual game considering Brady turned it over but it did indicate the Rams mindset

Anyone else think the Rams were too clever by half when they elected to receive? Thought it was strange when they gave the ball to the Pats seemingly for no other reason than they knew the Pats would've deferred if they won the toss.

Didn't make much difference to the actual game considering Brady turned it over but it did indicate the Rams mindset

I thought it was a little negative too... You've got this high powered offense and you shy away from using the ball first.

I thought it was s**t tbh. Pats didn't score obviously, but why give Brady the opportunity to do so and already play catch up potentially.

With you. s**t mindset to adopt.

s**t game all around.

Since the Pats had struggled to score TD's early in playoff games I can understand the logic in giving them first use of the ball.

If the Rams had marched down the field on their first possession after the INT then nobody would be questioning the call. Quite the opposite actually.

Since the Pats had struggled to score TD's early in playoff games I can understand the logic in giving them first use of the ball.

If the Rams had marched down the field on their first possession after the INT then nobody would be questioning the call. Quite the opposite actually.
And if they had scored before the half it would have looked very good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt the decision was almost based on expecting to be behind just before half time and being able to "double dip" score either side of the break.
Worst thing you could do is give Brady the ball and the opportunity to generate momentum, of course that didn't happen anyway but the chance was there to instantly be on the back foot and play catch up from the beginning of the game.

Belichick loves getting the ball out of half-time, because he believes that Brady can orchestrate a sub-60 second drive to end the half and put points on the board, and then have the opportunity to put more points straight after half-time.

I didn't have problems with the Rams electing to take the ball first after half-time. I don't think McVay expected his offence to be so insipid in the first half (or the full game for that matter).

They scored a TD on their first 4 drives against the Chargers and went within 5 yards of scoring TDs on their first two drives against Chiefs, so some logic behind the decision I guess.

Yeah I can think of plenty of things the Ram's did worse than the decision after winning the coin toss.

Brady was lucky Goff stunk as much as he did. Otherwise he'd be the one being cticised for his ratshit performance.

Two of the worst players on the field were the QB's. The difference between the two was one was mature enough to stay composed. The other went to pieces.

Goff's SB performance was even worse than Cam Newton's. Poor bastard.

No problem with the Rams choosing to take the ball in the second half. It's a big advantage if you have a half time lead, to come out straight away and push the game even further out of reach. Given the Pats are a second half team like the Rams have been of late, could mean one more extra possession for either team which the Rams would want for themselves and not the Pats. Obviously they backed themselves to score some points and probably didn't expect to play so s**t as much as anyone else did.

They scored a TD on their first 4 drives against the Chargers and went within 5 yards of scoring TDs on their first two drives against Chiefs, so some logic behind the decision I guess.
Two games is not a trend. Has Brady ever scored on his first possession in a SB?

The Rams not only stopped the Pats on their first possession, they picked off Brady when he did throw it.

Tactically it was the right call. Pity for them it was all downhill tactically from there.

I wasnt questioning the logic of the call, more that I thought it showed an insight into their mindset. It just seemed like they were trying to play games with the Pats rather than play the game on their own terms.

I acknowledged that it didn't have much effect on the game considering the turnover but I thought it was an "interesting" decision.

By the way the Pats seemed to score pretty easily early against the Chargers and Chiefs in their last two playoff games before the Super Bowl.

Two games is not a trend. Has Brady ever scored on his first possession in a SB?

The Rams not only stopped the Pats on their first possession, they picked off Brady when he did throw it.

Tactically it was the right call. Pity for them it was all downhill tactically from there.

Tend to agree but I think the decision not that important anyway.

Idk how much longer this thread will go on for? To sum up my thoughts, I actually thought this was one of the better sb I've seen. As the game went on with both offences not getting any momentum, each play/possession becomes more crucial to the outcome and you get more drawn into it.

With games like American football (and rugby league), I like it when offences really have to work hard to score points, where defences make it an honest game.

People s**t on the Rams, and Goff in particular, but I don't think it was as bad as it looked. When everything's on the line, the pressure does weird s**t to you, and sometimes that can only be exposed in the biggest game. People crapping on about how many points they averaged, only to score 3 in the sb? That sort of season has happened a lot in recent decades, so we should be used to it. Even then the Rams had two opportunities for tds that would've been taken on another day.

The psychological trauma people try and heap on the Rams (on various forums), and with other losers in the past, is actually starting to give me the shits.

Back