Super Rugby 2018 Super Rugby season

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard about this on Bill & Boz. Getting thrashed regularly but punting a team from a competition 4 games in is a strange move.

Too far West of the boys club?
All the money is in the north. 3 teams in Northern Sydney.

Penrith was left to build Western Sydney in its own with no funding at all.

They were actually hitting all the targets but SRU had already planned the dagger for Sydneys west.

Funny thing is they are finding money for a possible WSU side.

The game will die here(while growing everywhere else) because the dickheads running the place cant get out of their private school stuffyness.

4th code by a long way.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The game will die here(while growing everywhere else) because the dickheads running the place cant get out of their private school stuffyness.

I can't really see the game growing anywhere. Except maybe Melbourne where a good percentage of people don't even know they have a SR team and most that do don't care.

Even over here as far away from Sydney as you can get while staying on the mainland rugby is still a private school game, but there are still clubs spread out across the metro area. As far as I know the general attitude is the more players playing and the more teams fielding sides in each grade each year the better.

I can't really see the game growing anywhere. Except maybe Melbourne where a good percentage of people don't even know they have a SR team and most that do don't care.

Even over here as far away from Sydney as you can get while staying on the mainland rugby is still a private school game, but there are still clubs spread out across the metro area. As far as I know the general attitude is the more players playing and the more teams fielding sides in each grade each year the better.
Strange thing is while its dying here its booming outside Australia.
Growing everywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It’s really chicken and egg. To get the interest and money flowing back into the game the Wallabies need to be able to take it up the the ABs and be a dominant side on the world stage. We do that and the money starts flowing into fix up the problems in the game and interest would flow on to the super sides.

But how are we meant to achieve that with a shrinking talent pool, poor governance coaching and the inability to retain our best players in Australia?

'Hey I've got this fantastic idea which will bring interest to the game and promote junior participation and get fans through the gates'
'Oh and where did you go to school, young man?'
'Parramatta'
'Oh the King's School, good man. Gave us some jolly good competition in the Head of the River you chaps'
'No, Parramatta High'
'Oh I see, a public school. Be a good sport and fetch us a pot of tea would you?'

Not really strange given the governing body actively tries to shrink the game.
Exactly right neither the Force or Rebels should ever have been in the gun as we need rugby to grow in both those cities for Australian Rugby to rebuild. The way they handled it last year was terrible they tried to turn the Rebels and Force against each other to fight for survival.

They should have taken the money on offer from Forest last year put most of it into grass roots but also put more money into the NRC and super sides to retain players and lift the standard in Australia.

I think what is best for Aus rugby is South Africa to drop out of SANZAAR. Because with the lose of revenue that would create they wouldn’t be able to ignore Forest and it would break up the old power base running the game and bring rugby into the 21st century

We should drop out of super rugby. Eight team domestic competition.
Let the best players go overseas and still play for the wallabies if we must.

We can't even support 4 teams on our own, 8 would be madness. Heck the NZRU just admitted they would go bankrupt if South Africa broke away fully from Super Rugby because they are overcommitted financially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't even support 4 teams on our own, 8 would be madness. Heck the NZRU just admitted they would go bankrupt if South Africa broke away fully from Super Rugby because they are overcommitted financially.

Why can't we support 8?
Pretty sure what we can't afford is the wage inflation due to trying to compete with NH money and declining interest in part due to s**t performances against opponents Australians don't care about in timezones when Australians can't watch.

We can though, now the current set up would have to completely change. When Forrest first floated his IPRC he wanted 6-8 teams from memory and he wanted to commit enough money to bring home the Aussie overseas. Now if the South Africans drop out of super rugby the ARU will be either forced to work with Forest or rugby will die.

Imo once the rebels start to have some sucsess they will start to get 20k to games
Ive only recently started to go to games. Its so much more entertaining than leauge

Finished off on a good note in what was a very disappointing season. Just started the season too slowly and dropped too many games against fellow Australian conference sides. Atleast the Rebels got bundled out thanks to the Sharks winning the last game of the minor round season.

Finals are set

Friday, July 20

Hurricanes versus Chiefs - Westpac Stadium, Wellington at 7.35pm

Saturday, July 21

Crusaders versus Sharks - AMI Stadium, Christchurch at 7.35pm

Waratahs versus Highlanders - Allianz Stadium, Sydney at 8.05pm

Lions versus Jaguares - Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg 3:05pm

(All times are local time)

The Australian teams (and South African for that matter) are sheltered by the finals structure.

The Waratahs get a home final by being best in conference with a 9-1-6 record which is worse than all NZ sides except the Blues, and those NZ sides with 10 or more wins all played each other twice. I mean the Brumbies made it last year with a 6-9 record and were predictably pumped by the Canes.

SR will die soon enough anyway but it's not conducive to our teams getting better if they are handed finals spots for doing their best.

They have been really s**t since they started.
I said once they get some success. Eg win the thing.

Started the season with 3 wins in a row and 4 from the first 5.

You had the hype of being retained over the Force, got half our players and coach plus had half price tickets and crowds didn't improve.

Also the Rebels aren't winning SR. SR will die before that occurs.

Plenty of empty seats in Christchurch. They jack up the price for finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back