2018 Supercars

Remove this Banner Ad

So with ford and holden going belly up, what do we do?
You cant have V6 turbos in "V8" supercars :huh:
The BTCC looks like a s**t formula.
The WTCC looks like a s**t formula.
Production cars dont cut it.
DTM looks gr8 but if you were to go that route you may as well go GT3.
My preference would be GT3 which then allows our teams to run in all the prestige events like Le Mans etc. I dont think our teams would have the funding for it though.
We really are between a rock and a hard place at this point in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with ford and holden going belly up, what do we do?
You cant have V6 turbos in "V8" supercars :huh:
The BTCC looks like a s**t formula.
The WTCC looks like a s**t formula.
Production cars dont cut it.
DTM looks gr8 but if you were to go that route you may as well go GT3.
My preference would be GT3 which then allows our teams to run in all the prestige events like Le Mans etc. I dont think our teams would have the funding for it though.
We really are between a rock and a hard place at this point in time.

You're not getting it, bro.

First of all. "V8 supercars" is a continuation of the ATCC history. A "touring car" can be a number of cars. Group C, Group A, super touring and production cars.

The current rules are s**t, and the v8sc were outdated 10-15 years ago. But people like living in the past.

The only way to go (after abolishing RECs) is to have smaller cars. Up to 2lt. The best class is the old super touring rules. Before the FIA screwed it up and making them mini GT cars.

GT3 has limited mainstream appeal because the cars are not mass production. No matter how many Mustangs you see on the road.

So you're saying something like the BTCC or WTCC?
I guess I could live with that. Not a fan of little cars though.
You cant just take ZB panels and stick them on the VF chassis FFS.
How can you have a ZB with V8 and rear wheel drive??
What are Ford going to do?
Take Mondeo panels and bolt them on the FG chassis???

The category died when they went car of the future.

Pinpoint 1991 mate.

Form Supercars wiki

The new rules for the ATCC were announced in November 1991 and indicated that the V8 cars would be significantly faster than the smaller engined cars. During 1992, CAMS looked at closing the performance gap between the classes, only to have protests from Ford and Holden, who did not want to see their cars beaten by the smaller cars. In June 1992, the class structure was confirmed

Both the Ford EB Falcon and Holden VP Commodore ran American-based engines which were restricted to 7,500 rpm and a compression ratio of 10:1. The Holden teams had the option of using the Group A-developed 5.0-litre Holden V8 engine, although this was restricted to the second tier 'privateer' teams from 1994 onwards, forcing the major Holden runners to use the more expensive Chevrolet engine

The new rules meant that cars such as the turbocharged Nissan Skyline GT-R and Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth were not eligible to compete in 1993, while cars such as the BMW M3 were. However, the M3 received few of the liberal concessions given to the new V8s and also had an extra 100 kilograms (220 lb) added to its minimum weight so,[16] with the Class C cars eligible for 1993 only, the German manufacturer's attention switched to the 2.0-litre class for 1994.

From 1995, the 2.0-litre cars, now contesting their own series as Super Touring cars, became ineligible for the Australian Touring Car Championship. They did not contest the endurance races at Sandown and Bathurst, leaving these open solely to the 5.0-litre Ford and Holden models.

So BMW were made to feel like s**t for staying and Nissan were straight-up banned , and now we're reaping .

That was 27 years ago. I like the 2lt cars, particularly when C9 showed the BTCC. But I actually agree with the Holden/ford class (Although I wouldn't have been as strict as they were with just ford and Holden). As they were the popular cars on the roads at the time. 2lt was a good complimentary class in Australia. But Australian motorsport and motoring lags behind Europe. So 2lt had to be brought in later on in becoming the leading class.

Where Australian motorsport is weighed down nowaday, is that as a community/industry, were still stuck in the late 90s with campaigner Cochrane attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back