Competitions 2018 Supercoach/Dream Team/AFL Fantasy

Remove this Banner Ad

To opposition posters: Pick Tom Rockliff. Consider Chad Wingard. If you’re a Supercoacher, consider Ollie Wines. Don’t get sucked in by Robbie Gray’s price, as he’s likely to spend even more time forward next year. Probably don’t pick any other Port players unless someone like Dom Barry cracks an early game.

Ollie looks a good bet for both competitions. $457400 for Supercoach with a 2017 average of 106 and 9 hundreds, $526000 for fantasy with a 2017 average of 99.8 with 13 hundreds. With those figures I wouldn't hold onto him for the whole year but he would be a good starter for anyone who wants to stock on expensive midfielders and needs to pick a few mid-range as well to offset.
Charlie Dixon with his Supercoach price of $412700, 2017 average of 90.9(9 hundreds) could be considered for that competition. Fantasy is a bit less certain as his price of $451000 is just $62000 less than that of Lance Franklin and Franklin averaged 96.1 to Charlie's 81.0 in 2017. But again, if you don't have the money to go for Franklin at the start then Charlie could be the answer. And his average jumped from 56 to 81 last year so with the forward acquisitions over the off-season he could be getting better service.

To opposition posters: Pick Tom Rockliff. Consider Chad Wingard. If you’re a Supercoacher, consider Ollie Wines. Don’t get sucked in by Robbie Gray’s price, as he’s likely to spend even more time forward next year. Probably don’t pick any other Port players unless someone like Dom Barry cracks an early game.
I'd say all this is true, I'd still consider Gray as forward option (especially in draft, averages 95 when he kicks 2+ goals so a forward average of mid 80s gets him drafted on the top 20 forwards)

+

Add Frampton to your rookie rucks will play sometime this year, first in line in case of ryder injury/suspension and is basement price

Ryder (averaged 98 in his last 12, after slow start from missing a year. Priced at 91)

Houston (averaged 80 in his last 8 compared to his overall average of 72,(more so draft)
Polec (more freedom outside with motlop now in the side)
Wines (as mentioned, more support in Rockliff)
Ebert (unknown role with the inclusions of Rockliff and Motlop, may even get some hff time and possibly forward status)

On your pre season watch list, all of them should be bumped up a few spots I your draft too imo

Spot on however I'm keeping my eye on Bonner to see how he goes over pre-season as I think if he 'does a DBJ/Houston' he could easily average 80+ as an attacking HBF or wing, priced at 60. Really hoping Barry, Atley or Trengove get a run of 6 games or so to make them options.

Keeping a close eye on Rocky in the pre season. His ceiling is massive for all comps, it's just a question weather or not he'll be able to match his output fantasy wise at a stronger club.

I also think Barry is a good chance of early games taking the role of Impey maybe

Ok Port fans I thought I'd get your opinion on some of the things I've been thinking about this pre-season.

Defense is as shallow and unpredictable as I've seen it. The only person I have enough confidence in to maintain their average is Laird.

E. Yeo has been talked about as a top 3 defender but there is no way in hell I'm picking him in any form. He's only ever averaged more than 90 for more than 6 week in the first 11 games last year, that's it. No other part of his career has he averaged more than 90 for a decent part of the year. After that he averaged 88 in the last 10 games after season averages of 78 and 79 the two previous seasons. And now he's having no pre-season. AT. ALL. Why? A hip injury. Hip! We've seen what hip injuries have done to Butch, Toump and now Hombsch. I'm having NONE of that, he could easily average low 80s for the first month to 6 weeks. Would rather pick bloody Heath Shaw!

K. Simpson is consistent enough, is probably a safe 93-8 average or is he? He's 34 years old and has now lost Docherty. I started with Matty Boyd last year thinking that nah I'm not gonna stuff around getting pretty with people I hope will average 95-100 I'll just pay up for Boyd and deal with him resting later in the season. As it turned out he averaged under 80 for the first month then got dropped and Boyd is a much better player in general as well as fantasy player than Simpson so why can't he also fall off the cliff so to speak. With that fresh in my mind, that scares me, I've seen Simpson go missing or be tagged in games for putrid sub-60 scores and I don't want that.

J. Lloyd was in my team before Christmas but then I looked closer at his stats and I lost complete confidence. People say he wasn't the same after his concussion but he scored 122 the first game back then 91 and 116 (110 Avg). So it definitely wasn't the concussion, the reason was McVeigh coming into the team in round 15. From round 15 onward Lloyd averaged just a mere 83.5 over 8 games. That's pretty terrible. The funny thing is Heeney's average over the same time period is exactly the same over 9 games, so both of them across 17 games only averaged 83.5 with just ONE ton. ONE. If McVeigh is fit and firing round 1 there is no way I'm picking Lloyd as they play exactly the same role. If McVeigh pulls a hammy or calf or does and ACL he's back in my team again.

Then you have boring players like Hurley who I don't think will maintain over 92, Hibberd, Roberton, Howe, Tuohy and even Hodge and Crisp don't get me excited. Crisp might average 95 in a half back role but a few games in his other role or a different role and that average drops into the low 90s, not much to get that excited about.

Then it's trying to throw a dart at a young guy, injured guy or fallen premium to bolt from <90 average like a Witherden, McDonald with more midfield time in a crap Roos team, Ellis whose averaged >100 before but apart from his last 2 months of the season has had 2 years of putrid fantasy numbers even for a defender and not because he's been injured, he's very durable. Then there's Shaw who might actually go from being no bloody way to a viable option having averaged 100 2 seasons ago and without Williams and Wilson taking his possessions he might 'be the man' again (pre-season watch), Burton, Savage, Vince (No thanks), Johannisen, Sicily, McGrath, Mills (No bloody way, see Lloyd for why), Birchall (No pre-season), Clarke, Hartlett, Brayshaw or Hanley.

A couple of these guys might bolt into the top 6 defenders but good luck picking who. It's too wide open for my liking. I'm liking Hanley as I had him in 2014 when he averaged 98 and showed he can pump out a 180! Big issue is he's terribly inconsistent can score 140 one week then 60 and 66 the next two; that and he's always injured at some point. But he's definitely at least 10 points under priced and going to have to be a senior player in GC midfield.

My strategy in defense is to go 2 premiums deep in defense and prayer for enough decent rookies which is why I hope Doedee is actually going to be decent and not an over hyped flop as I'm half thinking he will be. All I need is an Andy Otten contribution. Hopefully a few more rookies after that; O'Shea, Mirra, Johnson etc.

Thoughts?

Ok Port fans I thought I'd get your opinion on some of the things I've been thinking about this pre-season.

Defense is as shallow and unpredictable as I've seen it. The only person I have enough confidence in to maintain their average is Laird.

E. Yeo has been talked about as a top 3 defender but there is no way in hell I'm picking him in any form. He's only ever averaged more than 90 for more than 6 week in the first 11 games last year, that's it. No other part of his career has he averaged more than 90 for a decent part of the year. After that he averaged 88 in the last 10 games after season averages of 78 and 79 the two previous seasons. And now he's having no pre-season. AT. ALL. Why? A hip injury. Hip! We've seen what hip injuries have done to Butch, Toump and now Hombsch. I'm having NONE of that, he could easily average low 80s for the first month to 6 weeks. Would rather pick bloody Heath Shaw!

K. Simpson is consistent enough, is probably a safe 93-8 average or is he? He's 34 years old and has now lost Docherty. I started with Matty Boyd last year thinking that nah I'm not gonna stuff around getting pretty with people I hope will average 95-100 I'll just pay up for Boyd and deal with him resting later in the season. As it turned out he averaged under 80 for the first month then got dropped and Boyd is a much better player in general as well as fantasy player than Simpson so why can't he also fall off the cliff so to speak. With that fresh in my mind, that scares me, I've seen Simpson go missing or be tagged in games for putrid sub-60 scores and I don't want that.

J. Lloyd was in my team before Christmas but then I looked closer at his stats and I lost complete confidence. People say he wasn't the same after his concussion but he scored 122 the first game back then 91 and 116 (110 Avg). So it definitely wasn't the concussion, the reason was McVeigh coming into the team in round 15. From round 15 onward Lloyd averaged just a mere 83.5 over 8 games. That's pretty terrible. The funny thing is Heeney's average over the same time period is exactly the same over 9 games, so both of them across 17 games only averaged 83.5 with just ONE ton. ONE. If McVeigh is fit and firing round 1 there is no way I'm picking Lloyd as they play exactly the same role. If McVeigh pulls a hammy or calf or does and ACL he's back in my team again.

Then you have boring players like Hurley who I don't think will maintain over 92, Hibberd, Roberton, Howe, Tuohy and even Hodge and Crisp don't get me excited. Crisp might average 95 in a half back role but a few games in his other role or a different role and that average drops into the low 90s, not much to get that excited about.

Then it's trying to throw a dart at a young guy, injured guy or fallen premium to bolt from <90 average like a Witherden, McDonald with more midfield time in a crap Roos team, Ellis whose averaged >100 before but apart from his last 2 months of the season has had 2 years of putrid fantasy numbers even for a defender and not because he's been injured, he's very durable. Then there's Shaw who might actually go from being no bloody way to a viable option having averaged 100 2 seasons ago and without Williams and Wilson taking his possessions he might 'be the man' again (pre-season watch), Burton, Savage, Vince (No thanks), Johannisen, Sicily, McGrath, Mills (No bloody way, see Lloyd for why), Birchall (No pre-season), Clarke, Hartlett, Brayshaw or Hanley.

A couple of these guys might bolt into the top 6 defenders but good luck picking who. It's too wide open for my liking. I'm liking Hanley as I had him in 2014 when he averaged 98 and showed he can pump out a 180! Big issue is he's terribly inconsistent can score 140 one week then 60 and 66 the next two; that and he's always injured at some point. But he's definitely at least 10 points under priced and going to have to be a senior player in GC midfield.

My strategy in defense is to go 2 premiums deep in defense and prayer for enough decent rookies which is why I hope Doedee is actually going to be decent and not an over hyped flop as I'm half thinking he will be. All I need is an Andy Otten contribution. Hopefully a few more rookies after that; O'Shea, Mirra, Johnson etc.

Thoughts?
I think you are dead wrong about Yeo! I was reading some reports that he was burning up the training track, and in the words of one observer, "looked a cut above the rest." He was in AFLX training when he recently tweaked his ankle. Doesnt seem too bad. Also has been doing time in the midfield in preseason, so he is in my side atm.

Defense is always the big weakness in Fantasy, and IMO, besides the loss of Docherty, we are no worse off than other seasons. Laird, Yeo, & McGrath are my locks, and I will fill the rest with lower-priced players

I think you are dead wrong about Yeo! I was reading some reports that he was burning up the training track, and in the words of one observer, "looked a cut above the rest." He was in AFLX training when he recently tweaked his ankle. Doesnt seem too bad. Also has been doing time in the midfield in preseason, so he is in my side atm.

Defense is always the big weakness in Fantasy, and IMO, besides the loss of Docherty, we are no worse off than other seasons. Laird, Yeo, & McGrath are my locks, and I will fill the rest with lower-priced players

Sam Murray could be one for the bench. Haven't really got anything definite about him but he is only $170K and why would Collingwood pay what was at the time considered overs for him unless they expected to use him. Jack Crisp looks like he could score higher than last year as he is going to be used off half-back where he averaged 96, but he costs $622K.

Sam Murray could be one for the bench. Haven't really got anything definite about him but he is only $170K and why would Collingwood pay what was at the time considered overs for him unless they expected to use him. Jack Crisp looks like he could score higher than last year as he is going to be used off half-back where he averaged 96, but he costs $622K.
My current Bench prospects:
Isaac Cumming
Joel Smith
Sam Murray
Cam O'Shea
Logan Austin
My current lower-cost prospects:
Mitchell Hibberd
Tom Doedee
Jack Bowes
Jake Kolodjashnij
A McGrath (Mid-cost)
My current Higher-cost prospects:
E Yeo
R Laird
H Shaw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My current Bench prospects:
Isaac Cumming
Joel Smith
Sam Murray
Cam O'Shea
Logan Austin
My current lower-cost prospects:
Mitchell Hibberd
Tom Doedee
Jack Bowes
Jake Kolodjashnij
A McGrath (Mid-cost)
My current Higher-cost prospects:
E Yeo
R Laird
H Shaw
Is Yeo a lock or a prospect? Worth noting his weaker second half of the season was when he had more midfield time, his earlier big scores where when he was playing of half back and pushing up the ground. Yeo's biggest strength is probably his intercept marking and those +6s really helped his scoring.

It is a different team without Mitchell and Priddis but Yeo might not be suited to their roles. Maybe Shuey and Sheed are the first stringers and others like Arch or Duggan pick up the slack which could be better for Yeo from a fantasy point of view.

Really, I read not that long ago he would be lucky to play any JLT. Hip injuries and no pre-season for someone whose only ever put half a season together at top dollar is far too much for me to commit to and I wouldn't even draft him just to avoid the stress. What gives you so much confidence, because have you seen WCE team, you'd hope he'd be standing out in the top half dozen players in their team because it's really not that good. And lastly isn't Yeo one of those rare players who plays and scores better playing in defense than in midfield, so more midfield time isn't a good thing. Severely underdone and playing in a role he's not as good at screams epic fail to me. Happy to revisit this in round 5 and see whose on the money but I'm happy to have every other team in the comp have him because nothing is likely to convince me I don't reckon, there's just too many red flags.

Last edited:
Is Yeo a lock or a prospect? Worth noting his weaker second half of the season was when he had more midfield time, his earlier big scores where when he was playing of half back and pushing up the ground. Yeo's biggest strength is probably his intercept marking and those +6s really helped his scoring.

It is a different team without Mitchell and Priddis but Yeo might not be suited to their roles. Maybe Shuey and Sheed are the first stringers and others like Arch or Duggan pick up the slack which could be better for Yeo from a fantasy point of view.
To be honest, at this stage I have very few locks. Everything is floating until we start seeing what the JLT brings out
Really, I read not that long ago he would be lucky to play any JLT. Hip injuries and no pre-season for someone whose only ever put half a season together at top dollar is far too much for me to commit to and I wouldn't even draft him just to avoid the stress. What gives you so much confidence, because have you seen WCE team, you'd hope he'd be standing out in the top half dozen players in their team because it's really not that good. And lastly isn't Yeo one of those rare players who plays and scores better playing in defense than in midfield, so more midfield time isn't a good thing. Severely underdone and playing in a role he's not as good at screams epic fail to me. Happy to revisit this in round 5 and see whose on the money but I'm happy to have every other team in the comp have him because nothing is likely to convince me I don't reckon, there's just too many red flags.
Well it might or might not be true. I am going on what I have read in the WCE forums from people who have been to their training. Who knows at this stage. I certainly havent wiped him like you have, but he is no lock (see above)

To be honest, at this stage I have very few locks. Everything is floating until we start seeing what the JLT brings out
Well it might or might not be true. I am going on what I have read in the WCE forums from people who have been to their training. Who knows at this stage. I certainly havent wiped him like you have, but he is no lock (see above)

This is true. Everything can change in the next 6 weeks. Yeo is just one of those guys that seems to always tease but ultimately lets you down. He didn't burn me in 2015 & 16 like he did for some but last year I bit the bullet and brought him in because at the time he was clearly the top averaging forward despite having that feeling of dread that he would flop and I think I got his last ton before he went on to score only one more ton in the last 10 games. After that it's hard to have the confidence to pick him again. Out of interest did you have him last year or in previous years?

This is true. Everything can change in the next 6 weeks. Yeo is just one of those guys that seems to always tease but ultimately lets you down. He didn't burn me in 2015 & 16 like he did for some but last year I bit the bullet and brought him in because at the time he was clearly the top averaging forward despite having that feeling of dread that he would flop and I think I got his last ton before he went on to score only one more ton in the last 10 games. After that it's hard to have the confidence to pick him again. Out of interest did you have him last year or in previous years?
I was the opposite to you, I had him early and did really well from it, then traded him when he faded. He is a bit exe now, so I will only pick him in my side of he looks the goods.

I was the opposite to you, I had him early and did really well from it, then traded him when he faded. He is a bit exe now, so I will only pick him in my side of he looks the goods.

Well there you go. That's why you have faith in him. It's like Rocky, if you have had him for the highs you probably take some of the downs but if you've been burnt too much without getting his enormous upside then you're of course more likely not to rate him as much. I got on board like I said earlier in 2014 with Hanley buy I also had Rocky then too, one game Rocky scored 190 and Hanley 180 in the same game. That gives you a lot of browie points.

Well there you go. That's why you have faith in him. It's like Rocky, if you have had him for the highs you probably take some of the downs but if you've been burnt too much without getting his enormous upside then you're of course more likely not to rate him as much. I got on board like I said earlier in 2014 with Hanley buy I also had Rocky then too, one game Rocky scored 190 and Hanley 180 in the same game. That gives you a lot of browie points.
Yep, the key will be trying to land a few of those types in 2018, especially if not many other players have them in their side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back