Strategy 2018 Tactics and game plan thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My key thoughts have all been said:
1. Shuey skipper
2. Put a cap on playing rucks. I would like to say cap it at 1 (NN) but I'd take us limiting it to two at this point (its laughable the number of times we've played 3 and been belted due to lack of legs.
3. I'd like to see it go forward quicker. Particularly in the latter half of the season we seemed to overuse the ball a bit. Surely Richmond showed it's a game of yardage. By injecting youth into our side we need to simplify our gameplan. We've got the best forward in the comp... back him in and get it in there hot.
4. Only play LeCras in Perth. Drop him for away games.
5. Injection of youth. Partington was a breath of fresh air in the 2nd half of the season.
6. Cull the weak - I wouldn't lose sleep over Hill/Wellingham being delisted but unfortunately I think we'll hold both another year as security (probably the right call tbh).
7. Greater rotation of players through the HA season. Don't really care if they're 'spuds' coming in. Our depth is horrible and at this point needs to be forced. Amoung other things, our players look to struggle with flying. We get smashed every time we go in 'unchanged' in Victoria. Particularly when hindsight shows we continue to go in too tall. This might be where Wellingham/Hill/Masten could still have some use? ie keep fresh and come in for us over East every so often. Even fly them over earlier in the week so they're fresh for match day? I really don't know.

If nothing else, the Richmond premiership does fill me with a bit of optimism for our list. I bet my mate $100 we'd do better in the 2018 H/A season (ie better than 8th). With our home ground advantage I think we'll always be thereabouts in the HA season.
Regarding Le Cras agree with you if you are talking about not taking him away for Melbourne games, but he goes okay in Adelaide. Think when we played Port earlier in the year he was our best or almost best player on the day. If he can get on top of his hip injury we may see an improvement next year, but who knows. Shame that Father Time catches up with players as Le Cras in his heyday was a sight to behold!

As did Richmond and the Bulldogs the last two years, but I can't see our group playing that manic pressure game can you? They don't seem to have the character to do it.
Therein lies the problem - the coach should demand it and any players who are not willing will see themselves dropped to the 2s the following week. It appears the coach/es have been too timid with the players - particularly during 2016 and 2017. What was it that made them play with a passion for the ball in 2015 but then went missing after that? The mind boggles!

I've spent a number of years training soldiers and the ones that are humble, dedicated and ruthless are the ones that at no moment in-time think of themselves. Every thought, every action and every step is done with their mates best interest in mind. You get to this point by breaking the bloke down to their basic character, then when everyone is at the same level you put them though hardship and lots of it, constantly. The idea is they have to work together to overcome the challenges (if they don't their life will only get worse) and by doing so they share the hardship fostering an in-group preference that is hard to describe and can really only be done by those that were apart of it (any service member knows exactlly what I am talking about or just ask a (ex)member). Do this over and over again and the feelings of in-group preference, duty, dedication and mateship only get stronger and stronger. Keep doing this to a point where you don't even have to ask blokes to storm a hill or run at machine guns. While I'm not comparing solidering to playing football (two are very different and its best not to compare), but this process will produce the same outcome on the football field. We have a group of individuals at the club i.e. (civilians waiting on that bus outside the gates of Kapooka) thats all we have. Not even sure what I was going to say...
Good post - in my opinion our 1992 team had that after losing the GF the previous year. That is why Richmond managed to win the flag this year - sure they had 3 champions playing on the day but the rest contributed and you could see they were all playing for each other. Can this be taught by the coaching staff or is this something you have or haven't? That is the big question!

Based on what? Vardy has a good tank, a good grab and demands a tall defender. He is also a good set shot on goal. He certainly isn't going to be playing #1 ruck with Naita back on deck. I suppose you think Vardy is going to suit up for EP all year?

Watch his highlights on the West Coast site, Vardy is dangerous up forward and freeing Darling up to run toward goal is win/win for us.
Also Darling plays his best football as a 3rd tall, or used to anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back