Analysis 2018 Team Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Been out of the loop for a while lads. Quick google search didn't help. What's happening with Nielson? Thought he showed enough last year.

Been out of the loop for a while lads. Quick google search didn't help. What's happening with Nielson? Thought he showed enough last year.
Hard to tell. No JLT games and NM Media aren't giving him much love. Looks like he'll have to show his wares in the VFL again to make the side.

B: M.Williams, Tarrant, Vickers-Willis
HB: Clarke, Thompson, MacMillian
C: Hartung, Cunnington, McDonald
HF: Atley, Waite, Wood
F: Garner, Brown, Turner
Foll: Goldstein, Ziebell, Higgins
Int: Davies-Uniacke, Jacobs, Simpkin, Dumont

E: Preuss, Hrovat, Zurhaar

This will be it for Round 1 I reckon.

I've bolded in players who are in danger of being surpassed/in their last year (some may say JMac should be in bold, but I really rate him and what he brings, and obviously Brad does too). Assuming they are surpassed/retire, here is our late 2018/2019 team (minus draftees or free agents):

B: M.Williams, Tarrant, Vickers-Willis
HB: Murphy/Wright, Nielson/MacKay, MacMillan
C: J.Williams, Cunnington, McDonald
HF: Atley, Wood, Ziebell,
F: Garner, Brown, Turner
Foll: Preuss, Simpkin, Higgins
Int: Davies-Uniacke, Jacobs, Ahern, Zurharr

E: Durdin, Hrovat, Mountford, Anderson (!!)

Edit: Perhaps this team is missing that runs-all-day accumulator type (Gibbo/Clarke) - hoping this can be J.Williams but will admit I don't know heaps about him - just like what I have seen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 472189 Best 22 Prediction (Not a preferred 22)

Ayley is your glaring ommission, otherwise we pretty much have a match with the exception of Garner.

The team is starting to take shape and I reckon we can pencil in the following players:

B: Williams, Tarrant, Vickers-Willis
HB: MacMillan, Thompson, Clarke
C: McDonald, Cunnington, Waite
HF: Atley, Wood, Hrovat
F: Turner, Brown, Ziebell

R: Goldstein, Jacobs, Higgins

Int: Dumont, Davies-Uniake, Simpkin, Hartung.

I left Garner out due to his absence in the practice format. There may be a player come out on the bench for another tall, but that should be it.

Hard to tell. No JLT games and NM Media aren't giving him much love. Looks like he'll have to show his wares in the VFL again to make the side.

My take is that he is a victim of a healthy list and Maj be sent back. Also, EVW is ahead of him.

Certainly strange to not get a JLT gig but he will be back but competing with Mckay, Durdin Maj etc so who knows!

Ayley is your glaring ommission, otherwise we pretty much have a match with the exception of Garner.
Yeah, that was a bit of a mistake actually. Orginally had him at half back and thought to move him forward (to HF) but he fell by the wayside when I filled the forward line. He'd push Dumont or Hrovat off the bench because Turner will always get a game with Brad at the helm (and I agree with that to be clear)

G'day lads! I was wondering what chances are that Goldstein goes solo for the majority of the season? My fantasy side needs a ruckman XD

Back 6- Tarrant, Thompson, EVW, MacMillan, Clarke, Williams

Mids- Cunnington, McDonald, Jacobs, LDU, Dumont

Forward/mids- Higgins, Ziebell, Simpkin, Garner, Hrovat, Turner,

Forwards- Brown, Atley, Wood, Waite

Ruck- Goldstein

Lock him in. Even if Preuss plays Goldy will too and can be effective as a forward. Kicked 3 in round 1 last year with Preuss in the team

Super keen Roo fan like most on this site.
Regardless of where we finish this year, I haven't been this happy about our prospects longer term for years.
That said, can anyone explain to me the logic of not playing Preuss?
Assuming, like most, that we're likely to finish bottom 6, why wouldn't you play a second ruckman and get some valuable gametime into him? What's wrong with resting Goldy CHB and Preuss resting at FF with Ben Brown rolling up the ground? Better still, why play Goldy at all. He's our best ruckman since Dempsey and in the best handful in our history but he's not going to be part of our next serious assault. I still can't believe contenders Sydney, Bulldogs, GWS or Essendon didn't have a crack because whoever got him would go along way to a flag. Puzzling all round really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back