Analysis 2018 Team Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully won't need to as jmac will be in the vfl anyway
You funny.

Got it wrong for over 100 games straight with Gibbo. Lets see how long this streak goes for.

So happy Gibbo is gone

Stupidity of our match committe was on show there
Yeah,agreed.

It is the professionals on the match committee who are stupid.

Need Bigfootys honest opinions here please.

After the draft on Friday night my mate and myself had a $200 bet.

My mate, west coast supporter, stated that Billy Hartung will play round one for NMFC. I went against him.

What does everyone think?

My mate, west coast supporter, stated that Billy Hartung will play round one for NMFC. I went against him.

Could go either way. Wouldnt guess he'd start but they wouldnt have picked him up without an intention to play him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to admit I started loosing track of who is competing for what spots. Lists by position instead of best 22 were made by others before but have not seen one post draft (pre-RD). Could be I just missed it. So I made one based on current position, ambitions and a bit of personal opinion. Please let me know if I forgot someone.

I marked the ones most expect to play every week if fit (and match conditioned), based on recent form and assumed standing in the team. Before people start screaming for LDU!111!! and AHERN!!11!!!, I expect them to play, just not every game in 2018. The rest is going to be interesting. The result will hopefully be a rotating, exciting mix of player development, phasing out Thompson and Waite, current form and need. Can't wait to see how 2018 pans out - The ruck is still a mess and the midfield starts to look a little congested, we have 21 listed players (22 if we add Waite on the flank) with midfield ambition!

Pure Backs
Taz, Thompson, Neilson, EVW, M.Williams, Wright, Morgan, Watson

Backs/Centre
MacMillan, McDonald, Atley, Hibberd,

Centre
Cunners, LDU, Ahern, Mountford, Dumont, Clarke, Jacobs, J. Williams, Hartung

Centre/Forward
Ziebell, Higgins, Simpkin, Hayden, Garner, Walker, Anderson, Hrovat

Rucks/Forward
Goldstein, Preuss, Daw, Jeffries, Xerri

Forwards
BBB, Waite, Wood, Turner, Larkey, Zurhaar, (Wagner)

Swingman (Back/Fwd)
Durdin, McKay

Last edited:

He'll play.

Just had a look at a couple of potential teams for Rd 1 post draft. Leave the old, injured & newbies in the VFL to start with then adjust purely based on merit - with the exception of Ahern & LDU of course

AFL
B: M Williams, Neilsen, EVW
HB: Clarke, Tarrant, McDonald
C: Ahern, Cunnington, Mountford
R: Pruess, Garner, Higgins
HF: Wood, Durdin, Simpkin
F: Ziebell, Brown, Turner
I: Dumont, Hibberd, Atley, LDU

VFL
B: Morgan, Thompson, Wright
HB: Junker*, McKay, Macmillan
C: Hartung, Jacobs, J Williams
R: Goldstein, Anderson, Hayden
HF: Hrovat, Waite, Walker
F: Larkey, Daw, Zurhaar*
I: Watson, Xerri, Murphy*, Narrier*, Jeffress^

Scott will Likely go for experience:
Goldstein for Preuss
Wright for EVW
Thompson for Neilsen
Waite for Durdin
Jacobs for Dumont
Macmillan for Hibberd
Hrovat for Clarke
Hartung for Mountford

Last edited:
Goldstein for Preuss
Wright for EVW
Thompson for Neilsen
Waite for Durdin
Jacobs for Dumont
Macmillan for Hibberd
Hrovat for Clarke
Hartung for Mountford

You would think that Sam & Ben would need very good pre season form to play round 1.

Waite and Thompson are walk up starts.

Just had a look at a couple of potential teams for Rd 1 post draft. Leave the old, injured & newbies in the VFL to start with then adjust purely based on merit - with the exception of Ahern & LDU of course

AFL
B: M Williams, Neilsen, EVW
HB: Clarke, Tarrant, McDonald
C: Ahern, Cunnington, Mountford
R: Pruess, Garner, Higgins
HF: Wood, Durdin, Simpkin
F: Ziebell, Brown, Turner
I: Dumont, Hibberd, Atley, LDU

VFL
B: Morgan, Thompson, Wright
HB: Junker*, McKay, Macmillan
C: Hartung, Jacobs, J Williams
R: Goldstein, Anderson, Hayden
HF: Hrovat, Waite, Walker
F: Larkey, Daw, Zurhaar*
I: Watson, Xerri, Murphy*, Narrier*, Jeffress^

Goldstein for Preuss
Wright for EVW
Thompson for Neilsen
Waite for Durdin
Jacobs for Dumont
Macmillan for Hibberd
Hrovat for Clarke
Hartung for Mountford
I like the idea of Garner starting in the Centre but realistically if he gets mid minutes, it will be like 15% of games.

You would think that Sam & Ben would need very good pre season form to play round 1.

Waite and Thompson are walk up starts.
Perhaps in the short term, but Nielsen, Durdin, EVW and maybe even McKay need games in order to be ready to take over from Thompson. We have to prioritise development. I'd like to see Thompson play a mentoring role this season, stepping in when these guys need a spell or are injured.

The same goes for Waite, but I think it's less of an issue with him because he'll probably only manage ~10 games next season anyway with his body.

Perhaps in the short term, but Nielsen, Durdin, EVW and maybe even McKay need games in order to be ready to take over from Thompson. We have to prioritise development. I'd like to see Thompson play a mentoring role this season, stepping in when these guys need a spell or are injured.

The same goes for Waite, but I think it's less of an issue with him because he'll probably only manage ~10 games next season anyway with his body.

That's exactly my point. I'd like to see us prioritise the development of those with talent who will be around for our next tilt. Too many games gifted to out of form experienced players over the last couple of years. It's stunted the development of a few. It's also imperative we finish bottom 6 to have the currency for next years draft bonanza. If we manage this right 2020-2025 could be sweet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back