2018 Test Schedule

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Obviously we have the South African tour in March - 4 tests.

Leaving us with 5 tests completed this year, with 4 tests at the end of 2018 leaving us with 9 tests for 2018.

We play England in a ODI series in June in England.

After which there's no confirmed schedule yet until the summer.

There's probably room for a 2-3 test tour somewhere from July onwards....

We haven't played the WI away since 2015, however most of those tours are traditionally in Mar-April.

Is it then Pakistan Away the biggest chance in Dubai? We last toured them in October 2014 in a 2 test series

Not ideal preparation for an Australian summer, but test cricket non the less, and another test in Asian conditions.

I also noticed that Pakistan are playing Ireland in a test match in Dublin 2 weeks before their first test against England in May at Lords.

This looks like the new viable option next year as the "warmup" match before away Ashes series now with Irelands test status, rather than the micky mouse 2nd XI CC that they put out for us now.

According to the Futures Tour Program, for the rest of the year we are meant to play
  • Those 5 ODI’s in England
  • 1 test and 3 ODI’s in Zimbabwe after the England tour
  • 2 tests and 3 ODI’s at Home v Bangladesh in August/September (top end you’d imagine)
  • 5 ODI’s away in Pakistan (obviously played in Dubai)
  • 5 ODI’s v South Africa
Followed by the test summer, 4 tests against India and 2 tests against Sri Lanka

According to the Futures Tour Program, for the rest of the year we are meant to play
  • 2 tests and 3 ODI’s at Home v Bangladesh in August/September (top end you’d imagine)
  • 5 ODI’s v South Africa
Followed by the test summer, 4 tests against India and 2 tests against Sri Lanka

That's awesome. Even if it's 3 thrashings I'm a firm believer of playing the minnows in Test match cricket. Best way for them to develop and also a chance for us to maybe test one or two players/get players into form.

I'm usually very much against pointless ODI series but with a WC in 2019 it makes sense to gauge who our best 50-over players are.

• 5 ODI’s v South Africa

I keep hearing that the Bangladesh tests have been cut, but I am yet to find an official source confirming anything. I would love some winter tests in the Territory

• 5 ODI’s v South Africa

I think it will be 2 tests vs Sri Lanka then 4 tests vs India. Boxing day & the Sydney test will definately be vs India, not against Sri Lanka.

I imagine it will be Hobart & D/N Brisbane vs Sri Lanka.

Optus Stadium, D/N Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney vs India.

A D/N Hobart test would be pretty insane.

I keep hearing that the Bangladesh tests have been cut, but I am yet to find an official source confirming anything. I would love some winter tests in the Territory

This is something we don't do anywhere near enough of.

England traditionally play 3-4 more tests than us, because they are the only major test nation in the northern summer and thus always play a northern summer and southern summer every year.

There should be 1-2 tests in the top end every single year against the likes of the WI, Bang, Zim, Ireland, Afghanistan.

WI don't deserve the Aus summer anymore, I'd rather we played NZ more in place of them.

Last edited:
I think it will be 2 tests vs Sri Lanka then 4 tests vs India. Boxing day & the Sydney test will definately be vs India, not against Sri Lanka.

(Again according to FTP) Sri Lanka’s timing appears to be limited, with series against England and NZ running from October through to December, so they’ll probably play the Sri Lankan tests second. Agree that Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney will get the Indian tests, with Brisbane getting a Sri Lankan test, but IIRC there has been some talk of Canberra getting a test over Hobart

(Again according to FTP) Sri Lanka’s timing appears to be limited, with series against England and NZ running from October through to December, so they’ll probably play the Sri Lankan tests second. Agree that Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney will get the Indian tests, with Brisbane getting a Sri Lankan test, but IIRC there has been some talk of Canberra getting a test over Hobart

Just have three tests each side of New Years - they did it in the New Zealand/India Tour 2011/12. Perth, Adelaide (D/N), Melbourne and Sydney for India then Brisbane and Hobart/Canberra (one of those could be D/N too) for the Sri Lankans. Means we get more Shield cricket prior to the Test summer, too.

This is something we don't do anywhere near enough of.

England traditionally play 3-4 more tests than us, because they are the only major test nation in the northern summer and thus always play a northern summer and southern summer every year.

There should be 1-2 tests in the top end every single year against the likes of the WI, Bang, Zim, Ireland, Afghanistan..

Agreed. The weaker teams are never going to improve if they don't get regular fixtures against the big dogs. Plus it will give Smith a chance to boost that average!

One of the most impressive things about his ridiculous stats is that he had had relatively few 'easy' series to cash in on. Since debut he's played in chronological order;
  • Pakistan away (UK)
  • Ashes at home (played only 3 tests)
  • India away
  • Ashes away
  • Ashes at home (that weird year when it was played almost consecutively)
  • South Africa away
  • Pakistan away (Dubai and UAE)
  • India at home
  • Windies away
  • Ashes away
  • NZ at home
  • Windies at home
  • NZ away
  • Sri Lanka away
  • South Africa at home
  • Pakistan at home
  • India away
  • Bangladesh away
  • Ashes at home
Not many opportunities to 'flat track' in amongst there. Against the big dogs he averages 53.44 against the Saffers. 56.27 against England. 84.05 against India.

Last edited:
Obviously we have the South African tour in March - 4 tests.

Leaving us with 5 tests completed this year, with 4 tests at the end of 2018 leaving us with 9 tests for 2018.

We play England in a ODI series in June in England.

After which there's no confirmed schedule yet until the summer.

There's probably room for a 2-3 test tour somewhere from July onwards....

We haven't played the WI away since 2015, however most of those tours are traditionally in Mar-April.

Is it then Pakistan Away the biggest chance in Dubai? We last toured them in October 2014 in a 2 test series

Not ideal preparation for an Australian summer, but test cricket non the less, and another test in Asian conditions.

I also noticed that Pakistan are playing Ireland in a test match in Dublin 2 weeks before their first test against England in May at Lords.

This looks like the new viable option next year as the "warmup" match before away Ashes series now with Irelands test status, rather than the micky mouse 2nd XI CC that they put out for us now.
I've heard Australia are playing Zimbabwe and Pakistan in Zimbabwe in a tri-series similar to the one in 2014 with South Africa instead. This is the best money making opportunity for Zimbabwe.
I'm not sure if we are going to play Bangladesh at home, we should be but i feel this is unlikely with Sri Lanka and India also coming.
Lock in a tour of Pakistan in the UAE as well. hopefully a test against Afghanistan while they are there but again feel it's unlikely.
Knowing the upcoming Cricket year will be so much easier once the ODI and Test leagues start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always a little dull in the middle of the year without a proper tour of England or India.

Would rather we were playing a couple of tests against Pakistan rather than 5 ODIs if that eventuates.

It's always a little dull in the middle of the year without a proper tour of England or India.

Would rather we were playing a couple of tests against Pakistan rather than 5 ODIs if that eventuates.

Tests away v Pakistan will be after our 2018/19 summer.
ICC Future Tours Programme (FTP) 2017-2020

Probably would be a good idea to swap the Test and ODI series dates around so we play the Tests in 2018 and ODIs in 2019 prior to the World Cup.

Hobart isn't getting a Test. Brisbane and Canberra will probably be the Sri Lanka hosts. Canberra is confirmed.

If the Bangladesh series goes ahead, it would probably be Tests in Darwin and Cairns, ODIs Darwin, Cairns and Townsville.

Looks like Zimbabwe can't even afford to host the tri-series. Sad times over there.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22409275/cash-crunch-threatens-derail-zimbabwe-season
Yeah it is. Especially with how well they are playing at the moment. Hopefully they can work it out.
Is there anything touring sides can do to help ease the financial load? Surely the bigger nations have a responsibility to support teams like Zimbabwe. It's in the best interests for all of Test cricket to have countries like Zimbabwe/Ireland/Bangladesh/Afghanistan playing regularly against better teams and improving the overall level of the game.

Is there anything touring sides can do to help ease the financial load? Surely the bigger nations have a responsibility to support teams like Zimbabwe. It's in the best interests for all of Test cricket to have countries like Zimbabwe/Ireland/Bangladesh/Afghanistan playing regularly against better teams and improving the overall level of the game.
Well a series against India for example would be massive because of the broadcast it will get. Sadly here people kinda tune out when the summer is over. Zimbabwe have been eager to play away series more as it doesn't cost them to run the series unlike a big home match. Them playing in Australia would be massive boost but i can't see that happening.

Well yes, but instead they do this
apjXnon.jpg

DVm8VK5VoAAhe-p.jpg:large

Remove this Banner Ad

Back