Draft Review 2018 - The 2018 Superdraft

Remove this Banner Ad

Rankine has gone from overrated to underrated pretty quickly. Grew up and decided to play team footy and it’s been a delight to watch
His worst is really poor. Doesn’t bring the pressure other smalls do on bad days. Pickett in the GF is my go to example for this. Four touches but his pressure probably added 3-4 goals on the day with the way he kept the ball inside the arc.

If Rankine can do it for the rest of the season, he probably goes above Quaynor on my list.

Rankine has gone from overrated to underrated pretty quickly. Grew up and decided to play team footy and it’s been a delight to watch
He has also got more around him now, he was living on rations previously. when the ball doesnt get down there to often and others around you aren't giving you a lot of options over playing your hand is very understandable.

he is playing really well now and creates a stack for those around him.

he is a ripper. I think being at the Suns he doesnt get the same wraps as those around him.

This draft was regarded as a super draft at the time and by and large I think it's lived up to it. To me there are four elite players - Walsh, Smith and the King twins and many more others will be quality 200+ gamers. Can't ask for much more in one draft than that. The Gold Coast picks are the enigma of this draft. I wonder how much the development (or lack of) at the Suns, especially in their first couple of years, has hampered them. Then again Ben King seems to have come along quite well.

This draft was regarded as a super draft at the time and by and large I think it's lived up to it. To me there are four elite players - Walsh, Smith and the King twins and many more others will be quality 200+ gamers. Can't ask for much more in one draft than that. The Gold Coast picks are the enigma of this draft. I wonder how much the development (or lack of) at the Suns, especially in their first couple of years, has hampered them. Then again Ben King seems to have come along quite well.

Would all have a solid case for being pick 1 in most drafts.

It sucks that Freo Gave up pick 5 or 6 for Jesse Hogan.

Could of got one of the king twins for pick 6 rather than down grade that 1st rounder and use pick 17 for Sam Sturt, who is talented but an inury prone forward flanker. Xavier Dursma was the next pick that went to Port.

It sucks that Freo Gave up pick 5 or 6 for Jesse Hogan.

Could of got one of the king twins for pick 6 rather than down grade that 1st rounder and use pick 17 for Sam Sturt, who is talented but an inury prone forward flanker. Xavier Dursma was the next pick that went to Port.
Pick 6 2018 was the kind of hot potato pick that passed through a lot of hands in trades for Sam Mayes, Lachie Neale, Jesse Hogan and Steven May - Freo moved it on twice; it went out with a future third rounder for 11, 23, 30 and 49, came back with the Neale trade, then exited again for Hogan.

The one who burned bright and then burned out is Sydney Stack. Such enormous potential.

Not a fantastic draft for the Dogs. Baz could be anything but hasn’t found his feet again since his suspension last year. Rhylee West hasn’t quite got team play consistent yet, Laith Vandermeer has hammies made of tissue paper, and Will Hayes and Ben Cavarra didn’t last. Buku Khamis, who went undrafted, looking like our second best from that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chayce Jones is no longer the bust of the top 10. Turning into a nice little player.

Odd draft so far. Top 10 or so is pretty great (but perhaps not quite as good as what we first thought?), but the depth isn't all that stellar though you could find good players throughout.

Still has time to develop though.

Best 22 of this draft so far:

Isaac Quaynor - Caleb Graham - Callum Wilkie
Nick Hind - Connor Idun - Nick Blakey
Bailey Smith - Sam Walsh - Xavier Duursma
Zak Butters - Ben King - Jack Lukosius
Izak Rankine - Max King - Tarryn Thomas
Bailey Williams - Connor Rozee - James Rowbottom
Jye Caldwell - Jordan Clark - Tom Sparrow - James Jordan

Zak Butters has risen to the top of the list on current form
Still trying to work out how Butters didn't get to Crows or GWS

Max King and Ben King both great forward
Lukosious has kicked three 5 bag hauls this season.

This initially looked like a horror draft for freo.
But Lachie Schultz at pick 58 has turned into a very solid player that should go close to playing 200 games. He’s already kicked 100 goals from 88 games and is improving every season. Also one of the most durable players in the comp which is very underrated trait to a team (these guys that are good but constantly out injured are a real negative when building team cohesion IMO).

Then Sam Sturt at 17 looked like a bust for a long time but has come to life in the last 5 weeks or so, kicking 11 goals in that time and looking every inch like Bailey Fritsch and Jack Gunstons love child.
So all may not be lost from this debacle of an off season!

Zak Butters has risen to the top of the list on current form
Still trying to work out how Butters didn't get to Crows or GWS

Max King and Ben King both great forward
Lukosious has kicked three 5 bag hauls this season.
Should have taken Butters instead of Hately

If it was a choice between being only able to keep one of Rankine or Lukosius, Gold Coast made the right call imo.
Agreed. Rare talent. Massive tank and a missile of a boot on him. Perfect for the hard leading high CHF role. I think we’ll see him regularly get 400 disposals, 175+ marks and at least 40 goals a season for a long time starting as early as next year.

Agreed. Rare talent. Massive tank and a missile of a boot on him. Perfect for the hard leading high CHF role. I think we’ll see him regularly get 400 disposals, 175+ marks and at least 40 goals a season for a long time starting as early as next year.
He is a real on field leader too.

Everyone talks about Matty Rowell being the next Suns captain, i would go with Lukosius tbh. He just looks like a real general out there.

He is a real on field leader too.

Everyone talks about Matty Rowell being the next Suns captain, i would go with Lukosius tbh. He just looks like a real general out there.
Yeah, absolutely, noticed that on the weekend, he has a serious presence about him on field. I’m a big romantic for the notion of the CHF being the skipper too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back