2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading those comments by Rosich it wouldn’t shock me at all if we were just a pawn in his and his management team to get a higher contract for next year onwards.

I mean if you think about it rationally it had to have been Neale’s camp to leak it originally to Maclure.

What benefit would it have served us (or Freo) for that information to come out this early?

He reportedly had his exit interview yesterday yet no trade request was made (at least publicly). Now we have their CEO openly admit whilst “he was weighing up his future, we are now positive we will keep him” or words to that effect.

It all points to a substantial contract upgrade in the next few weeks or so.

I mean I hope I’m wrong but connecting the dots seems to point back that way.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be odd to pick the lions at all. He knows we were interested last time, and that we have a s**t ton of cash and a high draft pick to get it done. All things that would make it a conceivable scenario, and likely to make Freo s**t themselves.

I already stated that maybe he wanted to get the extension done in the off-season, and not endure a circus-like season in the spotlight that might impact his form and drive down his price?

Again, I think you’re overplaying the impact a player exploring his options would have on strongly built friendships, that have been formed over such a long period. Would you begrudge a long-term friend from exploring their work options? Would you feel angst towards them for trying to get the best deal possible? I don’t think you would.

It appears most of our boys were uncertain whether Dayne Beams was going to stay, just look at the Instagram post involving Rayner and Beams titled something like “I’m staying, now leave me alone”. Are they pissed off at him for entertaining a trade? Is there angst? Are you angry with him? Has he lost your respect? The answer again would be a resounding no. Even with the the very real understanding that Beams is leaving in two years time anyway.

Same goes with Jonathan Brown and how close he was to joining Collingwood back in 2008. I’m pretty sure it didn’t impact his legacy, or standing amongst the playing group.

If Neale does re-sign, there is no way to prove whether the intent to come to the lions was real or not. So I’m not sure how that is relevant to how he would be perceived by his peers.

I’m just playing devils advocate here mate. I’m not saying that I 100% believe Neale is doing this to leverage more cash from Freo. I’m just saying you can’t be so confident as to rule it out at this stage. Unless you are in fact Lachie Neale.

And in that case I apologise.

I'm not disagreeing Lions are a good choice, that was never my argument. It would be odd for him to orchestrate this months out, with just the Lions, just to leverage a new deal.

You are very strong on the many levels of the defense to your suggestion for someone just playing devils advocate.

I think it is either he is coming to us and this is just phase 1 of the process, or he is tossing up a random offer from us on the back of a conversation we had 2 years ago.

I do not think he has orchastrated this to leverage a new deal.

And yes player movement is common and team mates get over it, but its alot of angst to create out of nothing for a deal thats not even due to be renegotiated with FA available next year. It makes no sense.

After reading those comments by Rosich it wouldn’t shock me at all if we were just a pawn in his and his management team to get a higher contract for next year onwards.

I mean if you think about it rationally it had to have been Neale’s camp to leak it originally to Maclure.

What benefit would it have served us (or Freo) for that information to come out this early?

I mean I hope I’m wrong but connecting the dots seems to point back that way.

Put it this way, it’s not an inconceivable scenario!

People on this board are way too confident.

Put it this way, it’s not an inconceivable scenario!

People on this board are way too confident.

? I don't think anyone is being too confident. Even if Neale requests a trade it will be very difficult to get done and I think everyone realises that.

People are justifiably excited about the prospect though - its been a long time since we have had all of our good players and promising youngsters signed and we are instead hunting quality players.

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing Lions are a good choice, that was never my argument. It would be odd for him to orchestrate this months out, with just the Lions, just to leverage a new deal.

You are very strong on the many levels of the defense to your suggestion for someone just playing devils advocate.

I think it is either he is coming to us and this is just phase 1 of the process, or he is tossing up a random offer from us on the back of a conversation we has 2 years ago.

I do not think he has orchastrated this to leverage a new deal.

Would be as simple as a mid season conversation between Neale and manager that went something like this.

Neale: I want to know what my value is on the market before entering in talks with Freo.

Manager: You’re a free agent next year, just wait until then.

Neale: I’m playing good footy atm though and don’t really want the constant media speculation that comes with FA (or potential injury in contract year driving down my price)

Manager: Brisbane were interested in you a couple of years ago. Let’s catch up with them and see what they are willing to offer you.

Even if Neale stays at Freo on an upgraded contract, it doesn’t mean his management has “played” us. It could simply be a matter of “all things being equal, I’d like to stay but right now, Brisbane are offering far more than you are.” Remember that he’s got an existing contract which was entered into a few years ago. That might not be at a level commensurate with his market value.

As an example, let’s say Neale is on $500K next year with Freo and we’re offering $800K a year for 4 years. If Freo don’t upgrade his 2018 pay, he will effectively need his next contract to be $900K a year just to break even.

So he’s then giving Freo a few choices:

1. Upgrade and extend his contract now, with Brisbane giving a pretty good guide to market value.

2. Hold him to his 2018 contract at its current value and hope that you can retain him in 12 months.

3. Let him go to Brisbane and get some trade value back.

I can’t see it is in Freo’s interests to let him go now unless we’re offering stupid money that Freo can’t match or we’re prepared to offer something significant at the trade table. Refusing to upgrade his contract could disenfranchise a key player and reduce the likelihood that he stays a Docker in 12 months.

So it makes sense to renegotiate now, upgrade what he gets next year with a longer term contract locked in too. The Dockers are happy to keep their man and Neale gets a better deal.

It seems unlikely that Neale and the Dockers have fallen out or that he’s so in love with the idea of playing for Brisbane that he’ll get out of Freo at any cost. To me, it has to come down to what Brisbane are offering being significantly better than what Freo currently have on the table. The ball is then in Freo’s court. The manager would be negligent not to try and get the best deal for his client.

There’s been some debate over the future on uncontracted Cat midfielder Tim Kelly...Reports are that he and his young family are homesick...Trading out Neale while the Club has currency for a first round pick isn't stupid if it returns you a midfielder of the calibre of Kelly.

There’s been some debate over the future on uncontracted Cat midfielder Tim Kelly...Reports are that he and his young family are homesick...Trading out Neale while the Club has currency for a first round pick isn't stupid if it returns you a midfielder of the calibre of Kelly.
I guess the Cats are lucky he isn't uncontracted until the end of next year.

I guess the Cats are lucky he isn't uncontracted until the end of next year.

my apologies ..he is...Cats wanted to sign a contract extension

Geelong are keen for Kelly – overlooked for five years before being taken as a 23-year-old with pick No.24 of last year's draft – to re-sign beyond his initial two-year deal, but homesickness has been something of an issue for Kelly's family. He and partner Caitlin have three children under the age of three, with their primary support network remaining in WA.
Kelly's WA-based manager Anthony Van Der Wielen reiterated that while his client and Caitlin were happy in Geelong, but they were yet to definitively decide they wanted to recommit long-term to the club. Both West Australian clubs are coming hard at Kelly, with speculation that he could request a trade home at the end of the year, even though he is contracted to Geelong until the end of the 2019 season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ater-on-talk-of-new-deal-20180709-p4zqe6.html

Last edited:
Hearing some whispers around the place that the Eagles could be talking with Stef Martins management. Contentious.

I actually hope so why wouldn’t we let him go?
Preuss to us with Big O, get what descent pick we can from him, his best footy has gone by and Stef actually gets a chance at a big finals campaign next year. We get a look at a descent enough pick I reckon around 25-35 range helps what we are targeting this year

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t help but think we all have our hopes up and will be disappointed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we take pick 4 to the draft I wouldn't be too disappointed if we end up with Bailey Smith/Izak Rankine or 3rd choice Connor Rozee.

Jack Lukosius and Sam Walsh are no chance to be available at pick 4.

If we take pick 4 to the draft I wouldn't be too disappointed if we end up with Bailey Smith/Izak Rankine or 3rd choice Connor Rozee.

Jack Lukosius and Sam Walsh are no chance to be available at pick 4.

Yeah, if the worse that happens is we go to the draft with pick 4 then it's not the end of the world. Neale obviously far more preferable but in the event it doesn't eventuate I think we'll be able to get over our disappointment in November.

Yeah, if the worse that happens is we go to the draft with pick 4 then it's not the end of the world. Neale obviously far more preferable but in the event it doesn't eventuate I think we'll be able to get over our disappointment in November.
And briztoon will be a happy little Vegemite.

And briztoon will be a happy little Vegemite.
I actually would be as well. Would I like having Neale wearing a Lions guernsey? Absolutely. But as much as I think we have some very good young talent on our list if we nail this draft then it's locked and loaded. 2019 and after go nuts trading and FA.

I actually would be as well. Would I like having Neale wearing a Lions guernsey? Absolutely. But as much as I think we have some very good young talent on our list if we nail this draft then it's locked and loaded. 2019 and after go nuts trading and FA.
I love the draft speculation and anticipation as well so yer I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if we don't get Neale over the line. This could be our last top 4-5 draft selection for a long while............hopefully.

I love the draft speculation and anticipation as well so yer I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if we don't get Neale over the line. This could be our last top 4-5 draft selection for a long while............hopefully.
Over the last few years I have loved and been focused on the draft as at that time it was the only way that we were going to bring in talent to the club and we were going to be around that mark for some very good talent. However, as we hopefully progress I personally would be looking at who to trade in and target FA wise.

Ok, what makes a good inside midfielder? Maybe it's about contested possessions and then being effective with what you do with those possessions AND if you don't get them then what pressure do you apply on those opposition players that got there first. Simplistically Neale is up there and the closest we have is Beams who by the way is ahead of Dangerfield, Selwood, Gaff, Pendlebury and Heppell.

In what we are after, Neale represents an A grader.

Ross and/or Steven from St Kilda good value, Wallis from the Doggies well he is some where down the list.

Looking at this, in the 'Money Ball' scenario, what we spend to get Neale is now in perspective for me.

upload_2018-9-1_16-19-44.png

Can’t help but think we all have our hopes up and will be disappointed.

Really? You know what most trade periods look like for us right?

If we end up retaining everyone we want to retain and go into the draft with a high pick, we are well placed.

Neale would be great but the fallback is pretty damn fine too.

And it’s just footy.

Ok, what makes a good inside midfielder? Maybe it's about contested possessions and then being effective with what you do with those possessions AND if you don't get them then what pressure do you apply on those opposition players that got there first. Simplistically Neale is up there and the closest we have is Beams who by the way is ahead of Dangerfield, Selwood, Gaff, Pendlebury and Heppell.

In what we are after, Neale represents an A grader.

Ross and/or Steven from St Kilda good value, Wallis from the Doggies well he is some where down the list.

Looking at this, in the 'Money Ball' scenario, what we spend to get Neale is now in perspective for me.

View attachment 552779
Thanks for that clarky, my best inside/distributor player in the competition for me would be Clayton Oliver, love his fast hands and vision.

Seb Ross looks OK on there, maybe a good backup option if we don't get Neale and we wouldn't be giving up pick 4 for him I would have thought. No Mitch Wallis on the list:huh:.

I like that table, where does it come from?

Over the last few years I have loved and been focused on the draft as at that time it was the only way that we were going to bring in talent to the club and we were going to be around that mark for some very good talent. However, as we hopefully progress I personally would be looking at who to trade in and target FA wise.
May I just add to that, if we start to go down the road with focusing on trading now, then go for it. Neale, Ross in the midfield. Let's not be half-hearted then, if it means to drafts then oh well.

Really? You know what most trade periods look like for us right?

If we end up retaining everyone we want to retain and go into the draft with a high pick, we are well placed.

Neale would be great but the fallback is pretty damn fine too.

And it’s just footy.

Fall back is great absolutely. The thought of Neale is tantalizing, instant impact and genuine A grader as well as an opportunity to be on the other end of a trade period for a change. Though we did pretty well last year.

Swann has mentioned the club is in talks with a genuine A grader a few times with the first time he mentioned it quite a while ago so it would appear this has been in the pipeline for a while. Fingers crossed it comes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back