2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those words from Connors about any deal having to be heavily in our favour are coming back to haunt his client.

You know what though, for all the s**t some people wanted to put on Beama, his managers message would stem from Beams. If Beams didn't give a s**t about us he'd have gone to media and threatened to walk away etc. Beams has a legitimate issue and has made sure the stance has remained the Lions get a great return or he stays.

Dylan12 what you reckon Boss?

I am pretty happy at this point.

almost need to trade Beams to get pick 18 this year and a top 20 pick next year, becomes attractive.
Yeah, I'm a bit ambivalent at this stage as I don't know what we have and what we don't have, including what extra we paid for Neale i.e. pick 30 (we received) less (pick 19 we paid) and what that equates to.

Like you, it is a must we get two first rounders for Collingwood and I'm hoping we don't overpay for Adams (pick 35 sounds about right (definietely not worth a pick in the 20's).

Edit...BTW, I left the office and now trying to catch up on anything...the last few days have been so unproductive.

Yeah, I'm a bit ambivalent at this stage as I don't know what we have and what we don't have, including what extra we paid for Neale i.e. pick 30 (we received) less (pick 19 we paid) and what that equates to.

Like you, it is a must we get two first rounders for Collingwood and I'm hoping we don't overpay for Adams (pick 35 sounds about right (definietely not worth a pick in the 20's).

Edit...BTW, I left the office and now trying to catch up on anything...the last few days have been so unproductive.

Pick swap with GC is the risk I think - if we finished between 10-12 and GC is bottom 4, its a massive win for us value wise as we won't have lost out too much. If we finish bottom 4 then it is a bit less good.

Regardless Noble has smartly put us in a position where we aren't coerced into a Beams deal so I'll back them in. Can't see us letting him go for less than 2 1sts.

Those words from Connors about any deal having to be heavily in our favour are coming back to haunt his client.

He thought he had us in a corner and we would take 2 firsts and something back. His casual language mixed with smug sense of self assurance was clear as day, he was wrong though. He would be scrambling now, make no mistake - Beams intends to be playing for the Pies next year. Connors would have said he can get it done.

Surprised so many seem to be patting Noble on the back. I don't think he's done badly, but I certainly don't think I've seen anything resembling a masterstroke. Really concerned about not having a first rounder next year. If we'd swapped it with probably any non-finalist this year, we'd be looking OK (I'd love Adelaide's), but with nothing until 19 next year, we're not in the strongest position. Especially with no top 10 this year...

Pick swap with GC is the risk I think - if we finished between 10-12 and GC is bottom 4, its a massive win for us value wise as we won't have lost out too much. If we finish bottom 4 then it is a bit less good.

Regardless Noble has smartly put us in a position where we aren't coerced into a Beams deal so I'll back them in. Can't see us letting him go for less than 2 1sts.

Finishing position is definitely important to the value, however I don't think that would matter if Neale turned around and won a brownlow while he plays for us and a premiership or 2

Surprised so many seem to be patting Noble on the back. I don't think he's done badly, but I certainly don't think I've seen anything resembling a masterstroke. Really concerned about not having a first rounder next year. If we'd swapped it with probably any non-finalist this year, we'd be looking OK (I'd love Adelaide's), but with nothing until 19 next year, we're not in the strongest position. Especially with no top 10 this year...

It'll come down to what happens with Beams. Either we keep him and we play better next season or we lose him and are well positioned to get early picks this year and next

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they tried real hard to tie the Beams deal into the Neale deal. Leaked press etc to build pressure.
Now separated they do not have the leverage. I still say 18/ 2019 1st and 30 or 40 something back for their NGA be roughly fair

You don't understand the art of the deal then.

This morning we were in a bind, Freo and Collingwood had us in a corner. Noble got us out and ready to bargain. We'll either get an awesome deal for an aging beams or we'll keep him for another year and zip up the ladder.

It's some house of cards (season 1 and 2) level s**t mate. Noble is the mother******* G.

Beams is gone we get a better deal now then we did yesterday I agree BRAB.. Noble worked magic to seperate.
Not sure I like loosing pick 6-7 next year for 18 this one and 20~ and 40~ next year
If we do not do the Beams deal have no firsts in 2018 and 2019 draft
although we have no original picks left 2018 draft.. :) he he

You don't understand the art of the deal then.

This morning we were in a bind, Freo and Collingwood had us in a corner. Noble got us out and ready to bargain. We'll either get an awesome deal for an aging beams or we'll keep him for another year and zip up the ladder.

It's some house of cards (season 1 and 2) level s**t mate. Noble is the mother******* G.
OK. Calm yourself. I've stated an opinion, phrased as an opinion. I'm open to the fact that others disagree with me and their opinion might be just as valid as mine.

You've just implied a lack of comprehension on my part. Please allow for the possibility that other people understand just as well as you, and come to different results.

I don't believe we were in a bind yesterday. Freo didn't have to sell Neale, and we didn't have to buy him. We didn't have to sell Beams, and Pies didn't have to buy him. That isn't a bind. That's a standard negotiation. It's the same sort of bind Freo were in (Hogan - Neale), and the same sort of bind Melbourne were in (May - Hogan). Probably less so. I don't think that puts us at any form of weakness.

In the meanwhile, Noble has completely removed us from two years' first round rounds, and hasn't got the sort of overs that clubs normally managed to achieve when moving up the order. Honestly I find the Gold Coast trade bizarre, unless you automatically assume that we make finals next year - something I have as a long shot. It looks fairly average to me. Not bad per se. Just not good. We're now going to have to overpay to get back into the first round in at least one of those years.

Yeah, I'm finding it somewhat concerning, but I can only think that there is something up their sleeve because it otherwise places us in a pretty tenuous position if we don't progress up the ladder and GCS have a good year. I'm trying to stay calm until I know what the wash up is at 8:30pm.

That being said, as much as Noble is talked up, I still can't point to one trade where I sit back and think "how on earth did he pull that off" i.e. Melbourne acquiring May and Kolodjashnij with just pick 6 or what Hawthorn and Port have achieved this trade period with limited hands. I jsut don't see that with us and it is what ideally we'd look to see, so even with this status quo, I think Noble has done just ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back