2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am back and firstly out of respect ,Sorry Dianod i know you have blocked the trade and draft until latter but i have nowhere else to post this. 2 primary targets 1) Inside mid ollie wines still unsigned. If you r reading this Mr Fagan go in hard. Great addition at 24 years old. Open our large salary cap and offer him something he simply cannot refuse. 2) another big deal Mr lynch from gold coast to play full forward and have hipps at centre half forward. Lets do an offseason that lays down the gauntlet like essendon 2017

I am back and firstly out of respect ,Sorry Dianod i know you have blocked the trade and draft until latter but i have nowhere else to post this. 2 primary targets 1) Inside mid ollie wines still unsigned. If you r reading this Mr Fagan go in hard. Great addition at 24 years old. Open our large salary cap and offer him something he simply cannot refuse. 2) another big deal Mr lynch from gold coast to play full forward and have hipps at centre half forward. Lets do an offseason that lays down the gauntlet like essendon 2017
Interesting idea. We generally aren't so lucky on the implementation though... I can't see Wines moving. Even if he did, I definitely can't see him moving to QLD. And even if he moved to QLD, AFL House would probably incentivise him to go to Gold Coast instead. If Lynch wants to stay in QLD, I'd be surprised if he moved here instead of taking the purported AFL Marketing Allowance to stay at Gold Coast. No point losing a couple of hundred thou just to move up the highway. As I understand it, we've tried throwing the chequebook around a few times over the last few years, and haven't had any takers.

Looks pretty set that we're going to the draft for recruitment. Which suits me generally, as I don't rate Noble's trade nous (before the outrage - I rate most of Noble's abilities, just after the last trade period, I went and reviewed a few Adelaide trades, and in both foresight and hindsight, I think Noble overvalues external stock and undervalues internal stock).

Interesting idea. We generally aren't so lucky on the implementation though... I can't see Wines moving. Even if he did, I definitely can't see him moving to QLD. And even if he moved to QLD, AFL House would probably incentivise him to go to Gold Coast instead. If Lynch wants to stay in QLD, I'd be surprised if he moved here instead of taking the purported AFL Marketing Allowance to stay at Gold Coast. No point losing a couple of hundred thou just to move up the highway. As I understand it, we've tried throwing the chequebook around a few times over the last few years, and haven't had any takers.

Looks pretty set that we're going to the draft for recruitment. Which suits me generally, as I don't rate Noble's trade nous (before the outrage - I rate most of Noble's abilities, just after the last trade period, I went and reviewed a few Adelaide trades, and in both foresight and hindsight, I think Noble overvalues external stock and undervalues internal stock).

Hey understand totally what you are saying about we've tried throwing the chequebook around a few times over the last few years, and haven't had any takers. However three things have changed
1 the re-signing of our top talent ( may just about convince lynch that we have turned the tied and possibly as he is still young and now we are growing in terms of talent ,unlike the past ,he may think we have a better chance at the holy grail in the long term )
2 We are now , the go to place (with cameron and hodge )rather than the reject shop ,the place never to be mentioned.
3 Fagan and as the sign always states UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

Hey understand totally what you are saying about we've tried throwing the chequebook around a few times over the last few years, and haven't had any takers. However three things have changed
1 the re-signing of our top talent ( may just about convince lynch that we have turned the tied and possibly as he is still young and now we are growing in terms of talent ,unlike the past ,he may think we have a better chance at the holy grail in the long term )
2 We are now , the go to place (with cameron and hodge )rather than the reject shop ,the place never to be mentioned.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but neither of those acquisitions have a snowballs chance in hell of coming off.

Regards your last point ,( please correct me if i am wrong) cameron was contracted which is always hard in negotiations where as ollie is uncontracted ,so if we finished down the bottom the great leveller is the pre-season
Draft. There is always a sublte threat ,no negotiations we pick him up pre-season.

I rate most of Noble's abilities, just after the last trade period, I went and reviewed a few Adelaide trades, and in both foresight and hindsight, I think Noble overvalues external stock and undervalues internal stock).[/QUOTE]
I absolutely agree 110% . It was a joke ,so you r right. I wonder though if Noble in a desperate attempt to inject much needed hope into lions fans was prepared to overpay rather than come up empty. I personally would have waited for cameron to come off contract. That to me was the smarter way to do it rather than pay overs. This is were Fagan and the rest of the management group need to step up to the plate and have frank and honest discussions to pull Noble out of the clouds and back into the land and reality and have a group strategic plan based upon smart tactics. We must never be seen to be a doormat again.We have been treated with contempt for far to long.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but neither of those acquisitions have a snowballs chance in hell of coming off.

To me that represents the lions of old . Defeatism. We will never attract top end talent because we don’t deserve it and we r not good enough. Alister lynch went from Fitzroy to brisbane bears for 1 million ,so to me that states two things , things r possible ,dollars in this industry do talk ,we just have to put foward a compelling case ,that being we are putting together an exciting list who want to stay the journey.it is about time we the fans ,ditch the negativity and actually help the club by openly taliking about what can happen rather than what will not. That attitude ( it will never happen) i am sad to say is the wrong one. Lets create with Noble and Fagan the atmosphere of positivity and let that be infectious. While Ollie is unsigned anything is possible. To Fagan and Noble sell the clubs bright future to Ollie together with a fist full of dollars to boot.He would be just what the doctor ordered ,a magnificent get.Dare to Dream lions fans

To me that represents the lions of old . Defeatism. We will never attract top end talent because we don’t deserve it and we r not good enough. Alister lynch went from Fitzroy to brisbane bears for 1 million ,so to me that states two things , things r possible ,dollars in this industry do talk ,we just have to put foward a compelling case ,that being we are putting together an exciting list who want to stay the journey.it is about time we the fans ,ditch the negativity and actually help the club by openly taliking about what can happen rather than what will not. That attitude ( it will never happen) i am sad to say is the wrong one. Lets create with Noble and Fagan the atmosphere of positivity and let that be infectious. While Ollie is unsigned anything is possible. To Fagan and Noble sell the clubs bright future to Ollie together with a fist full of dollars to boot.He would be just what the doctor ordered ,a magnificent get.Dare to Dream lions fans
There is optimistic and unrealistic. You are in the latter category.

You are totally ignoring the other factors, previously pointed out by other posters, why this won't happen and that it doesn't even follow the clubs stated plan.

Regarding the "go to place" for Cameron and Hodge.
Cameron wanted to be near his family, which is why he went for us not because we are a destination club (same goes for Bell, Beams etc.) Hodge came because of Fagan, if we didn't have him l doubt he would have come.

As much as l would love both of them, can't see them coming. Definitly willing to throw around 1 mill somewhere for the right person

Wines and Lynch are definitely out of reach you'd think. Not sure Lynch would be on our radar anyway. If we are going to pay a premium for a player it'd have to be for a gun mid I reckon. We'll no doubt make enquiries to Wines management as will most clubs but I expect him to either re-sign with Port or move back home to Vic.

This year is an interesting free agent/OOC class though. I think we could really use another mature aged midfielder to compliment Beams/Zorko who will consistently week to week win the footy and contribute. Luke Dahlhaus, Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore are all free agents and there is some talk among Dogs fans that Dahlhaus could be squeezed out with Wallis/Libba the priorities. I think Dahlhaus would be a very handy addition and wouldn't cost anything at the trade table. Cam Guthrie is another free agent that we could chase if we want to add another experienced midfielder without giving up anything but cap space. Likely to stay at the Cats though you'd think.

In terms of out of contract players that are non free agents one that interests me greatly is Rory Laird from the Crows. AA last season due to the fact that he just racks up the footy and uses it so well. Averaged 30 disposals per game at 85% efficiency last season. Would fit in very well with the kind of game plan Fagan is attempting to implement I think. Would be hard to entice to the club but I don't think the Crows would be able to match an offer in the 800k per year range over say 5 years. Sounds like a lot for a player like Laird but with the increased cap if we can front load it I wouldn't be against it. We need as many A grade players as we can get and he's still relatively young.

Lastly I really do think we need another gun mid to take the pressure off Beams/Zorko and try and accelerate the rebuild because I think it'd be a shame if we didn't start to play finals footy whilst Beams and Zorko are still playing the quality of footy they are producing currently. The only issue is it isn't easy to do obviously. Wines would be an obvious target and has already been discussed in this thread but if we are going to throw a huge contract at someone, a player who I think would compliment our current midfield mix perfectly with his elite inside/outside game is Lachie Neale. Not OOC until the end of next year and would be extremely difficult to pry loose from the Dockers but would be such a great addition. A gun, contested ball winning mid and still has 8 or so years of quality footy left in him. We'd have to offer overs money wise to try get him and he would cost a fair bit at the trade table.

I think a lot of posters on here would be reluctant to trade away our 1st rounder this year considering it is reportedly a strong draft and we still need to continue to add top draft picks as well. The right blend is probably to target free agents such as Dahlhaus and Guthrie and take our draft picks to the draft.

Regarding the "go to place" for Cameron and Hodge.
Cameron wanted to be near his family, which is why he went for us not because we are a destination club (same goes for Bell, Beams etc.) Hodge came because of Fagan, if we didn't have him l doubt he would have come.

As much as l would love both of them, can't see them coming. Definitly willing to throw around 1 mill somewhere for the right person

It is subjective. I see where u r coming from, but it is all about perception.the club is desperate to change the perception out there that there is no point coming to a struggling club.With these two ,at least it may change ( no guarantees of course) the perception of other players that the club has finally buried the past ( the hatchet) and now has a positive vibe and outlook going forward

Lynch is very overrated imo....let the magpies have him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The right blend is probably to target free agents such as Dahlhaus and Guthrie and take our draft picks to the draft.
Agree with this very much in that if we are going to bring payers in it will most probably be as a FA. This year's picks shouldn't be used and won't mind too much if we were to use next years second rounder to facilitate things if possible if there was any possibility but we are far from a destination club.
Darcy Fogarty's game on the weekend further highlighted this for me:mad: and not to say I'm upset about Cameron coming to the club but he should have sat at pick 18.

Yeah would prefer we focus on more mid field talent. Keep getting games into Hipwood,Walker,Rayner,Cameron etc. Ballenden also a forward option and there's Kobe Tozer in 2019.

Agree with this very much in that if we are going to bring payers in it will most probably be as a FA. This year's picks shouldn't be used and won't mind too much if we were to use next years second rounder to facilitate things if possible if there was any possibility but we are far from a destination club.

Darcy Fogarty's game on the weekend further higDarcy Fogarty's game on the weekend further highlighted this for me:mad: and not to say I'm upset about Cameron coming to the club but he should have sat at pick 18.[/QUOTE).

Absolutely spot on the money.Darcy Fogarty's game on the weekend further highlighted this for me:mad: and not to say I'm upset about Cameron coming to the club but he should have sat at pick 18.[/QUOTE]
Bottom line a wasted opportunity.Brings up a lot of open wounds regards Noble’s negotiation skills subpar to say the least.

Absolutely spot on the money.Darcy Fogarty's game on the weekend further highlighted this for me:mad: and not to say I'm upset about Cameron coming to the club but he should have sat at pick 18.[/QUOTE]
Bottom line a wasted opportunity.Brings up a lot of open wounds regards Noble’s negotiation skills subpar to say the least.

Our midfield needs to be our number 1 priority. We lack serious depth in that area and we are lacking in quality outside of Beams and Zorko. We obviously have some very talented youngsters that we have high hopes for(Clugga, Berry, Rayner) but if we have another top 5 draft pick we need to use it on the best available midfielder and the club should be doing every thing it can to lure a gun mid aged 22-25.

Berry junior is a pure mid right? Hoping we pick him up. As for the top 5 pick we should draft Sam Walsh who will be in that range

Lynch is very overrated imo....let the magpies have him.

I appreciate your opinion, however Hipps needs support, I acknowledge that .A more seasoned performer down there would be of tremendous benefit for the young hipps. i like Lynch a lot and what he could offer in terms of guidance and support ( big brother role,mentor ) to the still very young Hipps. Now Briztoon stated he is waivering in his man love for Rankine, for a forward. To Brizton ,the club is like a young kid at christmas wanting everything ( to use a metaphor). We still need a lot more ,i would rather pick my fights this draft focus again being on midfield talent Rankine and Hill . Skill and pace in the midfield to deliver great service to our forwards is from what i have seen absolutely high priority for us right now. Lynch correct me if i am wrong is a FA. If corrcet great. Wines age bracket ,inside mid aggression no brainer for me. Great age for luggs ,berry etc. has another role model to the younge ones written all over it along with Beams of course. The more role models we can fit into this side the better. Sorry Bell ,basti ,and others i have mentioned before ,your salary is going to be used to bring in far better talent.

Yeah would prefer we focus on more mid field talent. Keep getting games into Hipwood,Walker,Rayner,Cameron etc. Ballenden also a forward option and there's Kobe Tozer in 2019.

Right on the money. Winning the midfield ,absolute key no doubt . Win it in the engine room and deliver great to service to forwwards. Nunan believed in highly skilled talented midfield. This draft midfield all the way.

I want to be clear I am not advocating use of early draft picksat all.but for FA and unsigned players. If we finish near or on the bottom we use preseason draft as our weapon of choice to drive wins for the club ( unsigned players i am referring to). Other clubs have treated us as amateurs,with contemp when it came to trades. We owe them no favours whatsoever and as far as i am concerned they deserve something back of the same magnitude of crap they have served us.We are lions after all and if there is prey about ,kill it. Them vs US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back