2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else feel like it's Christmas eve and are in excited anticipation to see what we get, only downside is the trade version of Christmas day goes for a fortnight.

We’re also going to give up a couple of our old toys which might not be as good as the new ones but we still quite like them.

We’re also going to give up a couple of our old toys which might not be as good as the new ones but we still quite like them.
Derailment in progress, the only toys I remember having as a kid are-
upload_2018-10-7_21-44-42.jpeg
images

Dodongo will say it again....the club won't be trading McStay. They are not that stupid getting rid of who will be a 50+ goal a year forward when he develops.

Dodongo thinks if the club let McStay go he will make us look stupid. No way he leaves
McStay better hurry up....he will be reaching retirement age soon.

I've been drinking too mush free grog at the Taipei business lounge but it,s about time we put up some leift field trade bait.

Dodongo's missing ball goes straight into the Adams' bid.

As Gaitor's, the number one Fitzroy ruckman, manager and sponsor I think he would move to the Doggies for 500,00 a year for five years. Haven't spoken to him but I reckon I could get him a cross the line for that sort of money as long as he could continue as an engineer.

Let's get imaginative. Maybe a new thread, Moderators? The over .05 trades

Derailment in progress, the only toys I remember having as a kid are-
View attachment 570122
images

That "Test Match" game was pretty cool when I was a kid......to a point

However, when you played it for so long, that button thingy for both batting and bowling would eventually fall off so you would have to improvise just to get the damn thing to work at all. After so long , the stupid cheap as s**t cardboard internal gearing mechanism would seize up entirely and you would throw the game in the bin, resolving to never buy it again. Unless of course, you somehow convinced yourself that a further outlay of $3.99 on another one was a sound investment, Or some dumb uncle or aunty would give you one for Christmas, beaming proudly as though they had just given you the Keys to the Kingdom.

Then there was the limited permutations of ball types versus batting outcomes.....so it kind of got pretty predictable after a while.... eg 3rd ball "Bumper" vs previous Batting result of "2 runs" yielded a known outcome..... say "LBW" or "6 runs" or whatever.

The other annoying thing about it was that the manually operated Scoreboard (consisting of three basic dials) didn't actually cater for total Innings scores in excess of 199. Granted, the ridiculously skewed "Out" versus "Runs" outcomes meant that scoring more than 199 was improbable.....yet not impossible.....I well remember getting into a heated argument in 1966 with Robbie Warren who lived down the road from me, when I got hot and reckoned I scored 342 .....and he steadfastly maintained it was "only" 242.....I can't remember who actually owned the game but whoever it was took their bat and ball and went home.

The romanticism that we attach to the good old days sometimes grossly exceeds the reality....a bit like the propensity we have to hanker after "90's" style Footy.....if you were to go back in time, I wager that the reality would fall well short of the dreamy memories.

However, when you played it for so long, that button thingy for both batting and bowling would eventually fall off so you would have to improvise just to get the damn thing to work at all. After so long , the stupid cheap as s**t cardboard internal gearing mechanism would seize up entirely and you would throw the game in the bin, resolving to never buy it again. Unless of course, you somehow convinced yourself that a further outlay of $3.99 on another one was a sound investment, Or some dumb uncle or aunty would give you one for Christmas, beaming proudly as though they had just given you the Keys to the Kingdom.

Then there was the limited permutations of ball types versus batting outcomes.....so it kind of got pretty predictable after a while.... eg 3rd ball "Bumper" vs previous Batting result of "2 runs" yielded a known outcome..... say "LBW" or "6 runs" or whatever.

The other annoying thing about it was that the manually operated Scoreboard (consisting of three basic dials) didn't actually cater for total Innings scores in excess of 199. Granted, the ridiculously skewed "Out" versus "Runs" outcomes meant that scoring more than 199 was improbable.....yet not impossible.....I well remember getting into a heated argument in 1966 with Robbie Warren who lived down the road from me, when I got hot and reckoned I scored 342 .....and he steadfastly maintained it was "only" 242.....I can't remember who actually owned the game but whoever it was took their bat and ball and went home.

The romanticism that we attach to the good old days sometimes grossly exceeds the reality....a bit like the propensity we have to hanker after "90's" style Footy.....if you were to go back in time, I wager that the reality would fall well short of the dreamy memories.

Just wow.

What with the trade period officially starting on Monday I thought I'd create separate threads for some of the possible trades that are might be occurring to help streamline discussions. Here's the links - Lincoln McCarthy, Lachie Neale and Marcus Adams.

With talk of Bailey Smith dropping to pick five is be willing to part with 19 1st and 3rd and also 22 if it means we keep our top pick this year. It would literally be a dream scenario, because we get the mystery box and also the guaranteed prize. Who cares about the 2019 draft? I certainly don’t.

Get the sense of feeling that if Adams & McCarthy stay injury free they'll be seen as masterstroke pick-ups in a few years.

On the flip side, if they continue to have injury issues, it'll look very silly.

Very much a gamble move.

The ghosts of Xavier Clarke and Amon Buchanan still haunt these parts ...

Haha you forgot the biggest flaw of the entire game..

After being kept folded in a box the felt would have a massive crease in the middle. The ball would invariably roll straight into the crease. You would just load your fielders on this mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Adams, think it could be some smart recuiting if we can pick him up cheap enough. When he was playing his best a few years back he was playing the kind of style i reckon we would want from a key defender. Harro can play that intercept role but is needed to lock down more atm. Gardiner doesn't offer a lot in intercept or rebound either. As a back unit, i think we looked the best this year with Harro, Eagles and Gardiner. We don't have a lot of depth in this area, so at worst i think it is smart to build a bit, especially if you can get someone cheaply.

Adams looks like he needs a fresh start to kick start himself again.
If our medical team is as good as their performance last year and get him going with consistent games then great, if we don't get him I really liked Payne in the pre-season last year, great closing speed for such a big kid and would have played if not for his injury. Saw him at Eagles at a before game function and even on crutches bent over he was a monster and bigger than Eagles. I also though skinner got better as the year went on and shows promise although he may move forward as that boy does like to go through a pack.

Apparently our medical staff are the best in the universe! Taking on McCarthy n Adams on the proviso that we will fix them..... worries me tho...... they may have flaws given Paps couldn't get on the park. Seems they are pretty good with our lack of soft tissue injuries but they aren't miracle workers.
I think the medical team would have had a look at both players and their history. Paps was long and lean and the endurance type, a bit wirey. McCarthy and Adams look to be more muscle, bulky types and maybe that is what they are looking at.

Noble on the Roar Deal said McCarthy had a lot of work to do on his body so it could be slimming down in certain areas.

Haha you forgot the biggest flaw of the entire game..

After being kept folded in a box the felt would have a massive crease in the middle. The ball would invariably roll straight into the crease. You would just load your fielders on this mark.
Different version of Test Match Warwick, the one with the felt is a more advanced model. The one I played and (luthor I suspect?) was from the 60s you young whipper snapper.

I like Adams, think it could be some smart recuiting if we can pick him up cheap enough. When he was playing his best a few years back he was playing the kind of style i reckon we would want from a key defender. Harro can play that intercept role but is needed to lock down more atm. Gardiner doesn't offer a lot in intercept or rebound either. As a back unit, i think we looked the best this year with Harro, Eagles and Gardiner. We don't have a lot of depth in this area, so at worst i think it is smart to build a bit, especially if you can get someone cheaply.

Adams looks like he needs a fresh start to kick start himself again.
Eagles is very orfin
To me landing Adams probably sees Skinner getting developed as a forward. I love what I seen from him there in the seniors off limited time.

I’m really excited with Adams. Hopefully we can keep him fit.
I would have thought Toby Wooller fits the bill and he impressed in the NEAFL when he came back from injury.

If Skinner can get a sustained run at it I think will be a gun in defence. Saw a couple of his NEAFL games and just looked composed and had the confidence to mark when 1 on 1 which is unusual in a young defender.

IIRC the first morning of trade period is usually like 'speed dating' and there won't be any proper discussions done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back