2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't expect the Lions to have much interest in Luke Dahlhaus from the Dogs but he has shown in two games this year he has little interest at being at the Kennel. Apparently his name got thrown up at the trade table last year but Beveridge has since denied it. If he keeps playing in the same manner he will be gone at seasons end. Not sure we need that kind of player? But I can see someone like Hawthorn jumping on him.

I wouldn't expect the Lions to have much interest in Luke Dahlhaus from the Dogs but he has shown in two games this year he has little interest at being at the Kennel. Apparently his name got thrown up at the trade table last year but Beveridge has since denied it. If he keeps playing in the same manner he will be gone at seasons end. Not sure we need that kind of player? But I can see someone like Hawthorn jumping on him.

Yep... and based on being shopped around...The cynic in me thinks that he may have already met with a club and offered a performance-based incentive to ensure his availability.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/we...s/news-story/cc2077bffa951a63dc35c2e287b42882

Yep... and based on being shopped around...The cynic in me thinks that he may have already met with a club and offered a performance-based incentive to ensure his availability.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/we...s/news-story/cc2077bffa951a63dc35c2e287b42882

I do wonder if Beveridge has had a major break down with some players. They have lost all intensity. Dahlhaus is one of the main culprits. Let's see. how he goes next few weeks but I have a feeling at this very early stage his mind has started wondering to next year and another club.

I do wonder if Beveridge has had a major break down with some players. They have lost all intensity. Dahlhaus is one of the main culprits. Let's see. how he goes next few weeks but I have a feeling at this very early stage his mind has started wondering to next year and another club.

On the other hand, are the sort of players who would completely drop their heads 18 months after a premiership the sort we need right now?

On the other hand, are the sort of players who would completely drop their heads 18 months after a premiership the sort we need right now?

I never said we wanted him. In fact I don't think Dahlhaus is the kind of player we need but he is playing like a guy who is intent on leaving at seasons end. No doubt some club has already spoke to him.

We need 1 more solid midfielder to ease the burden on the older and younger players we currently have. I would also target Wylie Buzza. Has shown enough with Geelong to be seen as a potential key position forward.

There are several tell-tale signs of internal problems...Spot fires left to smoulder not being extinguished. Alberti-Gordon feud inflamed by gate ‘humiliation’
One of my doggie supporting mates said that the club has the feeling of an implosion. He talks of ex-players that would be better than some of the present coaching group (assistants, development and personnel)... Maybe the chemistry between the support staff and players is the problem.

Last edited:
Gordon likes to think the club is his. I think that has much to do with it, perhaps he needs to go......and as you say, the treatment of Mrs Alberti won't have gone down well with quite a few I'd imagine. She is well loved by a lot connected to the club.

Gordon likes to think the club is his. I think that has much to do with it, perhaps he needs to go......and as you say, the treatment of Mrs Alberti won't have gone down well with quite a few I'd imagine. She is well loved by a lot connected to the club.

Imagine if someone like Alberti had been a life supporter and a white knight at Collingwood or Hawthorn...and the same issue had occurred...Ed or Jeffrey would have been straight on to it.

Let me toss a real outside option here - swap Jacob Weitering and Dan McStay. Both are contracted and both have potential and both haven't yet found their best position. Weitering trained with Brisbane pre-draft and no doubt the Lions had him as #1 in the draft until Carlton took him first and we went second best on Schache. I get the feeling both players are stagnating where they are and a change in environment might ignite them. I think Mcstay has more upside as a forward and Carlton probably need one more so might be interested given their list profile. We need a closer checking backman (McStay, Gardnier, Walker type role). We will have Payne at CHB, could use Weitering as a running intercept backman and have Harris at FB or swapping with either other. This would give us greater flexibility depending on the opposition. The position in the forwards that McStay might have filled will still be covered by Ballenden,Skinner, Wooller. No accompanying draft picks or anything like that, a straight swap to to better both clubs and players to see if they have greater upside in a new environment. Now just watch one of them turn their form around and have a breakout season which is the preferred option for Mcstay.

Let me toss a real outside option here - swap Jacob Weitering and Dan McStay. Both are contracted and both have potential and both haven't yet found their best position. Weitering trained with Brisbane pre-draft and no doubt the Lions had him as #1 in the draft until Carlton took him first and we went second best on Schache. I get the feeling both players are stagnating where they are and a change in environment might ignite them. I think Mcstay has more upside as a forward and Carlton probably need one more so might be interested given their list profile. We need a closer checking backman (McStay, Gardnier, Walker type role). We will have Payne at CHB, could use Weitering as a running intercept backman and have Harris at FB or swapping with either other. This would give us greater flexibility depending on the opposition. The position in the forwards that McStay might have filled will still be covered by Ballenden,Skinner, Wooller. No accompanying draft picks or anything like that, a straight swap to to better both clubs and players to see if they have greater upside in a new environment. Now just watch one of them turn their form around and have a breakout season which is the preferred option for Mcstay.
I like the creative thinking but I can't see the blues even considering it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering trained with Brisbane pre-draft and no doubt the Lions had him as #1 in the draft until Carlton took him first and we went second best on Schache

I think we were always taking schache first.

ahaha like the idea, but Carlton would be making the case that we do a straight swap for Liam Jones instead.

I wonder if we'll look through fringe KPPs in Crows and Giants list. It's a real shame Elliott Himmelberg re-signed with adelaide last month. Would have been a decent ploy to get him this off season and look at Harrison (GWS) later.

Carlton wouldn want more....Early days, but wow...you would have to question their depth....2nds took an absolute hammering..

07.04. 14:00 - Northern Blues v Collingwod Magpies 2 11.5 (71) : 31.15 (201)

https://www.flashscore.com.au/afl/australia/vfl/

Jake Lloyd wouldn't be a bad target. 24 years of age OOC. Best 22 calibre player. Entrenched in the Swans best 22 so could be hard to pry loose but may be able to offer him a better contract?

Tom McDonald is a restricted free agent this year. I didn't know that. We should be throwing a fair chunk of cash at him. Will only be 26 next year. A quality, key position swing man entering his prime would be so handy for our young list. Could take the number 1 key forward allowing Andrews to be that intercept defender or you could move him forward to provide another strong target up there alongside Hippy.

I think we should be hoping to trade in another player in the same age profile as Cameron, as we still don’t have a large amount in that category.

Weitering is a good target. however, there’s just no way in hell it will happen and if it does I will genuinely be shocked.

Jake Lloyd seems like a great option. Would not mind offering him a good contract and a definite chance to be a star player. The only issue, as mentioned above, is that he’s very solidified at Sydney right now and he will not want to move unless something with his contract negotiations inspire him to look here.

I’m horrible at looking for players in the right age bracket right now. Honestly, I’d be willing to say we could give up next years first or second if it meant bringing in another Cameron (in terms of immediate impact).

I think we should be hoping to trade in another player in the same age profile as Cameron, as we still don’t have a large amount in that category.

Weitering is a good target. however, there’s just no way in hell it will happen and if it does I will genuinely be shocked.

Jake Lloyd seems like a great option. Would not mind offering him a good contract and a definite chance to be a star player. The only issue, as mentioned above, is that he’s very solidified at Sydney right now and he will not want to move unless something with his contract negotiations inspire him to look here.

I’m horrible at looking for players in the right age bracket right now. Honestly, I’d be willing to say we could give up next years first or second if it meant bringing in another Cameron (in terms of immediate impact).
I wouldn't be giving up a first rounder.....yet. The club has had a 3 yr focus on the draftwith this being the last but I would say that next year we would still be in the bottom half meaning a top 10 pick and the need to add more quality youngsters. However I do like Melbourne's use of their second rounders to acquire players and thinkthe use of next years at this current time would be something to look at.
I do think that we do need to keep adding depth to our list but I can only see at this point needing to fill 3/4 list spots and 3 of those need to be via draft so leaving just one spot for acquiring a player via trade...at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back