2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did Sam Skinner finish up the year?
Aside from the obvious end of season interests throughout most clubs lists, did he manage to string a few good games together after coming back from his knee issues?
Liked the look of him in his draft year & have always kept an interest in his recovery.
He would be a very handy depth kpd at the Hawks.
How is he rated at the club?
I seen some posts before on Brisbane having interest in a Hawks veteran...
I think it’s FA Taylor Duryea for what it’s worth. Good onfield leader & would transition into a similar role to Hodge rather quickly.
I’m pretty sure Fages had a bit of time for him & Doc & Hodge played a bit of good football together.
He is in the $$ bucket for the Hawks & his role can be filled by Miles, Hardwick & Morrison.
Probably way off the mark but makes sense if he fits your system off half back & he’s free.
Anyway... what would Skinner fetch in a trade?
Cheers
From what I've seen of Duryea he is a very limited footballer and over the course of this year many on your board have had a similar view. Skinner could be anything and our approach will be not to trade out young talent so the question of his value is rather moot. But to answer your question, certainly worth a lot more than Duryea.

Agree with these sentiments re: Skinner. Seems a ripper, really hope he has a good run with his knees & get's through 2019 unscathed and we get to see him string some games together.

Chris Fagan was also very positive about his return to footy on the latest roar deal, and seemed excited that he is on track for a pre-season for the first time since he was drafted.

Being reported that they won’t get access to a priority pick. Think Gold Coast have been a bit dudded tbh.
I've never been a supporter of priority picks, I just say it likes snakes and ladders. You develop a player like Lynch from the Gold Coast, make him captain and pay all you can afford and he leave to a club at the top of the ladder, and worse leave far a club I'm Melbourne as he wasn't to pay inform of 80,000 rather than the 15,000 you get at home. The league allows it to happen and the players union demands it. So the AFL says sorry you poor buggers, here have an extra pick in the draft. So like getting to 99 in snakes and ladders, you slide all the way back to number 2 and have to start again developing a kid. Takes the Suns, they might loose Lynch, Martin, and May this year, there is no compensation for that. Give them 6 draft picks compensation but they still won't be competitive for 3 or 4 years and will be closed down by then.

compensation should be (1) the AFL becomes a bidder in Free Agency, they can, where minor teams are involved, choose to top up any free agents salary be it from that club or another for players to go there. P{cutting $100,000 a year onto a salary package is way cheaper than moving Gold Coast to Tasmania. Compensation is then like for like. Loose Lynch get Gaff.

Then the (2nd) part should, let's call it the Bombers package. After trade week is complete these bottom clubs can Rookie list any player up to say 8 player not contracted to any AFL club and can play any in the AFL team unrestricted by numbers for the next season.

This way supporters have hope in the next season and spend their money on seats rather than waiting for for the kids to show promise and but seasons tickets then. The AFL are the most stupid arrogant body in Australian sport. They think, somehow a team can survive in Queensland and NSW with prolonged failure. The have never understood the in these states supports are fickle, the go to sport to see teams win. Supporters of newer teams are not rusted on barnacles and won't turn up to see floggings like in ancient Rome. Its time the Melbourne teams stopped running the competition and it was made a true australian wide competition where everyone has a chance of success and winning.
Aside from the obvious end of season interests throughout most clubs lists, did he manage to string a few good games together after coming back from his knee issues?
Liked the look of him in his draft year & have always kept an interest in his recovery.
I think it’s FA Taylor Duryea for what it’s worth. Good onfield leader & would transition into a similar role to Hodge rather quickly.
I’m pretty sure Fages had a bit of time for him & Doc & Hodge played a bit of good football together.
He is in the $$ bucket for the Hawks & his role can be filled by Miles, Hardwick & Morrison.
Probably way off the mark but makes sense if he fits your system off half back & he’s free.
Cheers
Fagan gave Skinner a special mention at the end of the year, he finished strong. If his knees hold up will be a very good player. Big lump of a kid and goes hard, was best for us in the reserves last game of the year in the knockout final. Would be astounded if he went anywhere or it was even whispered. He loves the place and the place loves him.

It drives me potty at this time of the year, when the traditional Australian Rules states take a look at the catalogue and select who they need to furnish their list for the next season.
The AFL commission met today and instead of debating rule changes and draft concessions, there are three things right now they could do so that those concessions wouldn't be required.
One. If you enter the draft, you must sign a FOUR year rookie contract obviously indexed on performance and salary cap changes.
Two. Scrap the ridiculous rule that the Northern Academies have to bid for local players. It should be called the Heeney rule and it wouldn't have happened had not a red faced Victorian club president hadn't jumped up and down. Having non locals only helps player agents to play players and clubs off with each other. Eh. Rischettelli, O'Bree, Headland, Clark,etc....
Three. Make all academy players salaries exempt from the salary cap for the first FOUR years of their rookie contract. This will give benefit in two ways. First, it allows teams to take a chance on local talent without list clogging. Second, the money not used would be a type of COLA and maybe teams could go after some talent from the traditional clubs.
Until the Ten Victorian clubs play at least six times out of Victoria there will never be a even competition. So maybe this could be one way to even the playing field up. With the latest media rights deal the days of pleading to play Collingwood at the MCG are over.

Cheers
Skinner finished the year well. He was the best player in the reserves elimination final. He’s not going anywhere.

Listening to Neale speak on that SEN link, to me he is gone. I was not very confident for a good 10 days then but just the way he spoke about its long trip over etc etc.
Also I am hearing Roughy on 2 years from my source. Still a bit of convincing to do apparently.

I don't have any interest in Roughead especially if it costs us getting games into McStay.

Our forward line function quites well much better than our backline had been

Hodge came in and was 7th in our best and fairest. Roughy won't have the same impact on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It drives me potty at this time of the year, when the traditional Australian Rules states take a look at the catalogue and select who they need to furnish their list for the next season.
The AFL commission met today and instead of debating rule changes and draft concessions, there are three things right now they could do so that those concessions wouldn't be required.
One. If you enter the draft, you must sign a FOUR year rookie contract obviously indexed on performance and salary cap changes.
Two. Scrap the ridiculous rule that the Northern Academies have to bid for local players. It should be called the Heeney rule and it wouldn't have happened had not a red faced Victorian club president hadn't jumped up and down. Having non locals only helps player agents to play players and clubs off with each other. Eh. Rischettelli, O'Bree, Headland, Clark,etc....
Three. Make all academy players salaries exempt from the salary cap for the first FOUR years of their rookie contract. This will give benefit in two ways. First, it allows teams to take a chance on local talent without list clogging. Second, the money not used would be a type of COLA and maybe teams could go after some talent from the traditional clubs.
Until the Ten Victorian clubs play at least six times out of Victoria there will never be a even competition. So maybe this could be one way to even the playing field up. With the latest media rights deal the days of pleading to play Collingwood at the MCG are over.

The AFL has done enough with manipulating the competition IMO and it is working well. I think we need to stop obsessing over trying to perfectly balance every aspect of the AFL competition. The last 7 GF's have had both Victorian and interstate representation. We are struggling due largely to prior mis-management, gold coast are struggling largely due to mis management, players want to leave the Crows because of poor and arrogant player management. We have got our house in order over the last 2 years, and players are staying and we are slowley building. We and many other interstate clubs have also benefited greatly from player movement recently. Carlton have been stealing interstate players and it hasn't worked, Geelong have been furnishing players for the last 5 years and it hasn't worked.

Is there really an epidemic of young players leaving clubs early, to warrant a first contract extension? without mis-management possibly to blame?

I am not saying there isn't inherent inequality due to the geographic issues Victoria having 50% of teams (because there is), but we have mechanisms (albeit imperfect) in place to counteract that.

Also - recruiting over priced FA's comes at a cost that never gets a mention, those clubs who get these players have to accommodate them and their price tags into their cap, even if Lynch put his hand up to join us - i'd be worried sick about the implications of him taking up 1/8th of our cap space. The ability to attract these overpriced players has a huge cost and often leads to 3-4 fringe players walking out the door.

all sporting competitions have inherent inequality, it is unavoidable, I think you can fall in a trap of trying to balance and manipulate every rule to restrict the flow of competition too much and things get worse. I say, just let teams embrace their challenge, wear their challenge as a badge of honor, give them some assistance within reason (which the AFL do) and let that become their story.. it's what sport is all about.

Last edited:
Personally, I’d take Roughead on a similar deal to what we took Hodge on.

Red head, pale skinned person with a history of melanoma moving to an outdoor job in Queensland seems nuts to me.

I'd take Jarryd Roughead on a one year playing x 2 year assistant coaching position. Roughead, McStay and Hipwood up front, we wouldn't be able to play both Martin and McInerney as well though, way too tall.

I'd take Jarryd Roughead on a one year playing x 2 year assistant coaching position. Roughead, McStay and Hipwood up front, we wouldn't be able to play both Martin and McInerney as well though, way too tall.

Dunno...I would have thought if he was going to leave the Hawks and go anywhere it would be Sydney..

I would be critical of Roughy coming on board at the expense of a developing tall whether it be McStay or O’Mac. One would have to go.
I hope your source is wrong on this one.
Hodgey was perfect for us due to the state of the backline after the Leppa era.
The forward line is coming along fine.
Listening to Neale speak on that SEN link, to me he is gone. I was not very confident for a good 10 days then but just the way he spoke about its long trip over etc etc.
Also I am hearing Roughy on 2 years from my source. Still a bit of convincing to do apparently.

Last edited:
I have found the praise of Clarko and Hawthorns ability to have "open and honest'' discussion with older players to be absolute BS as far as Roughy is concerned.

Administration basically launched a full media run in which they pointed out his options, mentioned it was up to him, mentioned Hodge and Mitchell and put a huge cloud over his future at the club publicly, all whilst being praised for being so genuine and good at transitioning players. He was sort of just dismissing it and saying he wanted to play there next season. why has they even raised all of this in the media? he is contracted?

He has a year to go on his contract and he is stinking it up so they ran a media campaign casting doubt over his position at the club, in the hope it drums up some interest from other clubs or an offer that might interest him enough to move.

They initiated the rumor and discussion around this, it couldn't be any less gutsy or genuine if you ask me.

The whole time Clarko throws up all this doubt and then says.. ''At this stage Jarryd will most likely be here in 2019".. in the most insincere way.

I hope if he is pushed out the door, it's called out for what it is, a stage managed exit that was done in a way that avoided Carko and the Hawks having to actively put him on the trade block or directly cut him, clearly they want him gone as he is not performing well enough.

I am not overly sensitive about Roughys feelings, just over the media fawning over Hawthorn and their players management, whilst IMO< in essence they are just knifing a loyal player in the back, by using the media to drum up interest in a player / coaching elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back