2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but what are guys thoughts on trading Beams for Carlton's Pick 1 (Sam Walsh)?

I'm not saying we push him out, but Beams stated that Victoria is his home and he will move their in the future. Obviously the priority would be to keep him if he wants to stay, but if he wants to leave to go back to Victoria as a decision for best for his family or he's open to the move, I reckon we should do it.

Beams is at his peak of his power now and a guy rated at pick number 1 in Sam Walsh who will be a long term player for us would be good replacement for Beams long term.

The trade would look something like:
Carlton:
Beams
Mayes

Brisbane:
Pick 1

Pick 1: Sam Walsh
Pick 3: Bailey Smith/Izak Rankine/Jack Lukosius
Pick 21: Jarrod Cameron
Pick 39: Connor McFadyen
Pick 57: Tom Berry
Pick 75: Oscar McInerney

I thought the post advocating we offer Tim Kelly $800k for 5 years the silliest fantasy I have seen in a long time, but you have got that hands down. And the breakdown of our entire draft.............

Better start taking your meds again:D

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but what are guys thoughts on trading Beams for Carlton's Pick 1 (Sam Walsh)?

I'm not saying we push him out, but Beams stated that Victoria is his home and he will move their in the future. Obviously the priority would be to keep him if he wants to stay, but if he wants to leave to go back to Victoria as a decision for best for his family or he's open to the move, I reckon we should do it.

Beams is at his peak of his power now and a guy rated at pick number 1 in Sam Walsh who will be a long term player for us would be good replacement for Beams long term.

The trade would look something like:
Carlton:
Beams
Mayes

Brisbane:
Pick 1

Pick 1: Sam Walsh
Pick 3: Bailey Smith/Izak Rankine/Jack Lukosius
Pick 21: Jarrod Cameron
Pick 39: Connor McFadyen
Pick 57: Tom Berry
Pick 75: Oscar McInerney
The only way I could see it working is something along the lines of:

Brisbane (in) - Carlton’s pick 1 (Walsh) and Carlton’s second round pick ~ 20-23 depending on where that picks fall.

Brisbane (out) - first round pick ~ 3-5 (Carlton could get a Smith or Rankine etc) and Dayne Beams.

Carlton therefore still retain a high pick (slight downgrade) and get Beams and lose their second round pick (given to Brisbane).

The beauty of a strong finish to the season is that instead of laughing and hanging up when their manager mentions we are interested, a few reasonable free agents or uncontracted players might pause and consider the prospect of joining us.

Maybe even a couple of talented youngsters down the M1?

Wallis with 29 disposals and 3 goals. The bulldogs will blink and give him a decent contract.

Might be too late he might decide he likes what he can see unfolding up North and we will offer more money - Mitch will be a handy pick up :)

Apparently North is all over Gaff now with a mil plus on the table over 7 years

Might be too late he might decide he likes what he can see unfolding up North and we will offer more money - Mitch will be a handy pick up :)
I don't think we can keep offering "more money" to anyone who wants to come up here. We have to pay for the likes of Hippy, Witherden, Berry, McCluggage, Rayner et al. We already overpaid on the likes of Bell, Bastinac etc. If players want to come to us then l am sure Noble will see a price that is reasonable within his playing range and not over just because he wants to come to us. I certainly would like Mitch, especially if he comes free trade-wise

I don't think we can keep offering "more money" to anyone who wants to come up here. We have to pay for the likes of Hippy, Witherden, Berry, McCluggage, Rayner et al. We already overpaid on the likes of Bell, Bastinac etc. If players want to come to us then l am sure Noble will see a price that is reasonable within his playing range and not over just because he wants to come to us. I certainly would like Mitch, especially if he comes free trade-wise

Exactly only if a free trade

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Add[/QUOTE]
I thought the post advocating we offer Tim Kelly $800k for 5 years the silliest fantasy I have seen in a long time, but you have got that hands down. And the breakdown of our entire draft.............

Better start taking your meds again:D
This time last year what would you have said about Hodgey coming to Lions? Fagan - your mad! It's a one in a billion chance of happening anyway! Money doesn't make a difference. He needs to relocate his family and kids will need to change schools. He is cooked anyway!

Rather than continuing to put other people's ideas down why don't you come up with some of your own.

Pretty obvious list management...OOC:
Mitch Robinson - stay
Josh Walker - stay
Tom Bell - go
Marco Paparone - go
Liam Dawson - go
Ryan Lester - stay
Rohan Bewick - go
Matt Eagles (R) - stay
Jake Barrett (R) - stay
Mitchell Hinge (R) - go
Claye Beams (R) - stay

Trade if possible:
- Bastinac
- Frost
- Mayes (probably?)

Draft:
- Walsh, Rankine or best mid available
- Berry
- Cameron
- McFayden

Trade in:
- ?

Pretty obvious list management...OOC:
Mitch Robinson - stay
Josh Walker - stay
Tom Bell - go
Marco Paparone - go
Liam Dawson - go
Ryan Lester - stay
Rohan Bewick - go
Matt Eagles (R) - stay
Jake Barrett (R) - stay
Mitchell Hinge (R) - go
Claye Beams (R) - stay

Trade if possible:
- Bastinac
- Frost
- Mayes (probably?)

Draft:
- Walsh, Rankine or best mid available
- Berry
- Cameron
- McFayden

Trade in:
- ?

Like what you've done with our OOC players except for Mitchell Hinge, I'd be surprised if he didn't get another year, shown some good signs lately.

Jarrod Cameron wont get to us unfortunately, Eagles NGA.

Zero chance we get Jarrod Cameron. Tied to the WCE NGA academy. It would take a ridiculously early bid from us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Ainsworth is probably thinking in the back of his mind how nice it would've been if his preferred option of getting drafted by the Lions came to fruition compared to the situation he's found himself in at the Suns. I'd trade our 1st rounder next year for him but I doubt he'd leave the Suns this early on and if he was to leave it'd probably be to return home to Vic. Hope for the Suns sake he stays(Unless he leaves and joins us in which case screw them they stole Riska, Brennan and Hanley we need to steal one back:D).

Zero chance we get Jarrod Cameron. Tied to the WCE NGA academy. It would take a ridiculously early bid from us.
Who knows how they rate him or us for that matter but if we used a 3rd round pick to get him I would be ok with it.
I guess we will see him in 2 years time ;)
It'll be interesting to see as can't see him getting too much time in their forward line during that time and could be something that happens.

Ben Ainsworth is probably thinking in the back of his mind how nice it would've been if his preferred option of getting drafted by the Lions came to fruition compared to the situation he's found himself in at the Suns. I'd trade our 1st rounder next year for him but I doubt he'd leave the Suns this early on and if he was to leave it'd probably be to return home to Vic. Hope for the Suns sake he stays(Unless he leaves and joins us in which case screw them they stole Riska, Brennan and Hanley we need to steal one back:D).

Ainsworth may very well be a required player at the Suns, but definitely worth making some inquiries about! Fits our age profile perfectly, and has that Rayner-esque confidence and attitude about him/take the bull by the horns attitude that seems to be the growing trademark of our current crop of youngsters (Rayner, Berry, Barrett, Mathieson). I'm all for it :)

They didn’t steal Hanley.

Hanley left us.

And trading our first rounder next year (given its fair to project improvement up the ladder next year), is an option I hope the club goes for. Pretty good price for Ainsworth and you'd hope GC would definitely stop to think about it if the offer came across.

Alternatively, would be all up for trading our first rounder next year for something this year - either a player, or a more first round picks this year.

Wonder if our projected #5/#6 (if we rocket past WBD and Freo on the ladder this year) + our second rounder could be enough for us to get one of GC's picks and lock in Walsh/Smith/Lukosius?

Pretty darn good trade period if we hauled in Ainsworth (or another top young player of his calibre) and a pick in the #1-3 range that guaranteed our selection of Walsh/Smith/Lukosius. Those two added to the team, plus Cameron and Andrews back next year...wow.

Who knows how they rate him or us for that matter but if we used a 3rd round pick to get him I would be ok with it.

It'll be interesting to see as can't see him getting too much time in their forward line during that time and could be something that happens.

I'd be ok with it too, just can't see it happening. I reckon they are more in need of his type of player than we are.. They would be crazy not to match any bid on him after 20 or so.

This time last year what would you have said about Hodgey coming to Lions? Fagan - your mad! It's a one in a billion chance of happening anyway! Money doesn't make a difference. He needs to relocate his family and kids will need to change schools. He is cooked anyway!

Rather than continuing to put other people's ideas down why don't you come up with some of your own.

Because some of these proposals have 0% chance of ever becoming reality. Hodge was a different case. Hawthorn wanted to retire him, just like Lewis & Mitchell. He still thought he had something to contribute. Fagan offered him a playing/coaching role that was going to advance his career. And he wanted to experience life outside the Melbourne bubble - said so himself.

As to contibuting ideas of my own, I have repeatedly said I am against trading for other teams players - I am firmly committed to growing our own and having our youth take ownership of our future.

Yesterday proved that. It was our kids that did the job on Hawthorn. It is our kids that sang the song the loudest and can see, and have committed, to our future. Everyone you bring in for a short term boost will deny a talented, committed kid the game time he needs to develop. Cox was a prime example yesterday. Out of his depth early, but as he became accustomed to the pace, he contributed his share.

I would much rather focus on the growth of what we have, with a few more young guns to come in in the next season, or two than indulge in flights of fantasy with no real analysis or thought.

Any word on what the go is with Majak Daw? Remember rumours at the start of the year that he had this season to turn his career around.

He’s a big unit who can mark and kick a bag, with the right coaching he could be the KPF we are after.
Anyone want to apologise for shooting me down against this yet? He's kicked 4.2 against the Swans with 5 to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back