2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because some of these proposals have 0% chance of ever becoming reality. Hodge was a different case. Hawthorn wanted to retire him, just like Lewis & Mitchell. He still thought he had something to contribute. Fagan offered him a playing/coaching role that was going to advance his career. And he wanted to experience life outside the Melbourne bubble - said so himself.

As to contibuting ideas of my own, I have repeatedly said I am against trading for other teams players - I am firmly committed to growing our own and having our youth take ownership of our future.

Yesterday proved that. It was our kids that did the job on Hawthorn. It is our kids that sang the song the loudest and can see, and have committed, to our future. Everyone you bring in for a short term boost will deny a talented, committed kid the game time he needs to develop. Cox was a prime example yesterday. Out of his depth early, but as he became accustomed to the pace, he contributed his share.

I would much rather focus on the growth of what we have, with a few more young guns to come in in the next season, or two than indulge in flights of fantasy with no real analysis or thought.
I get it now. You don't want to trade - fair enough. What I don't get is why participate in this thread then given it is a Trade and FA Thread unless you are just going to put every trade idea down. I think there is a name for that.

By the way I am with Paul Roos and that some trading is required as part of the rebuild. It is too risky to rely solely on drafting. Hodge and Cameron two very good trades.

Building lists isn't done solely on drafting but the core of it is. When you have that core through identifying the holes you then go out and trade/Free Agent to fill them.
I don’t think it has to be sequential. There’s no reason why you can’t look to do both at the same time.

Pretty obvious list management...OOC:
Mitch Robinson - stay
Josh Walker - stay
Tom Bell - go
Marco Paparone - go
Liam Dawson - go
Ryan Lester - stay
Rohan Bewick - go
Matt Eagles (R) - stay
Jake Barrett (R) - stay
Mitchell Hinge (R) - go
Claye Beams (R) - stay

Hinge will stay. He is highly regarded and may well get a senior game before the end of the year.

I get it now. You don't want to trade - fair enough. What I don't get is why participate in this thread then given it is a Trade and FA Thread unless you are just going to put every trade idea down. I think there is a name for that.

By the way I am with Paul Roos and that some trading is required as part of the rebuild. It is too risky to rely solely on drafting. Hodge and Cameron two very good trades.

I reckon we should offer Geelong our first two picks for Gary Ablett. Offer him $1.5 million per season for 10 years cos money talks.

Is that how you do it?

I reckon we should offer Geelong our first two picks for Gary Ablett. Offer him $1.5 million per season for 10 years cos money talks.

Is that how you do it?

Hey guys, we've found Scott Clayton's alias. Shouldn't you be posting on the Suns board?

Hinge will stay. He is highly regarded and may well get a senior game before the end of the year.

If Mitch Hinge stays (and I think he should )it makes Saving player Ryan a tough gig. His form has improved following his defensive move in the last few weeks but we have to be pragmatic and look to the future. Ryan is unlikely to be best 22 next year so do we want him as Reserves Captain or do we keep Claye for that role?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Mitch Hinge stays (and I think he should )it makes Saving player Ryan a tough gig. His form has improved following his defensive move in the last few weeks but we have to be pragmatic and look to the future. Ryan is unlikely to be best 22 next year so do we want him as Reserves Captain or do we keep Claye for that role?

I think you can assume that all 22 who played on Saturday will be with us next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester’s recent form is easily good enough to secure a spot every week.

The challenge for him is to maintain that consistency.

His form has improved but I question the easily bit. You have to fit Cameron, Andrews and Hodge into that best 22. We would look for further development from Bailey, Cox,Allison,Wooller,Starcevich, Ballandean and Skinner and Eagles plus you’d hope we can draft and trade for at least another couple of best 22 starters. We are on a path of continuous improvement. Something and someone’s gotta give. Lester, Bewick, Bell and Bastinac aren’t going to feature too far into the future. If they do we have just tread water. It’s a good problem to have but it won’t be without it’s casualties.

Why can’t we have both?

Need more than one leader in the NEAFL to direct the kids and show them how to play the right way.

Hinge might get delisted due to the fact that we have Allison, Cox, Mayes and Paparone that can come in and play that same role. We have abundance of those type of players on our list. Plus if we get Casey Voss or Tom Berry, they also play that similar running half back role at the moment.

His form has improved but I question the easily bit. You have to fit Cameron, Andrews and Hodge into that best 22. We would look for further development from Bailey, Cox,Allison,Wooller,Starcevich, Ballandean and Skinner and Eagles plus you’d hope we can draft and trade for at least another couple of best 22 starters. We are on a path of continuous improvement. Something and someone’s gotta give. Lester, Bewick, Bell and Bastinac aren’t going to feature too far into the future. If they do we have just tread water. It’s a good problem to have but it won’t be without it’s casualties.

Rarely do you have no injuries. You need a good roster down to at least 30 and Lester sits in that group. The others are playing consistent ressies so i think the writing is on the wall there.

Also a lot of ??? On some of the young guys you listed, half havent played a game, Skinner may not be able to stay on the park. Having quality depth and having to cut players that arent complete trash is something we do need to get use to though. If you are improving it should get harder each year to find 3 guys to cut. We've been able to find 5 a year for the past decade with ease.

Hinge might get delisted due to the fact that we have Allison, Cox, Mayes and Paparone that can come in and play that same role. We have abundance of those type of players on our list. Plus if we get Casey Voss or Tom Berry, they also play that similar running half back role at the moment.

Not too sure Paparone will be around next year to effect Hinges' spot

Lester’s recent form is easily good enough to secure a spot every week.

The challenge for him is to maintain that consistency.
Lester is out of contract playing for his future, his form was that bad earlier in the year it had to improve, but lets be serious he doesnt deserve a new contract based on two games. His body of work when its really counted has been poor and the club should be looking beyond him.

Lester is out of contract playing for his future, his form was that bad earlier in the year it had to improve, but lets be serious he doesnt deserve a new contract based on two games. His body of work when its really counted has been poor and the club should be looking beyond him.

Even if we assume that Lester's form earlier in the year was "poor", have the games over the past 3 weeks when he's played really well in winning sides not counted?

Anyway, in terms of Lester staying on our list, get ready to be disappointed.

When the trade free agency rolls around im hoping brissy take a couple of flyers in the draft and find a quality trade. And delist the likes of bell bastinac lester paparone etc.

Re flyers in the draft: ivan soldo is the best ruckman in the vfl, getable in the preseason draft. We need our next big man ready to replace martin when hes done. Soldo would be richmonds number one ruckmam if nankervis wasnt so damm good. I think you will find hardwick has that opinion of him.

We could take a flyer on Nic Rodda (Williamstown) 23, readymade key forward who has been incredible in his first vfl season this year. Hes a beast. Moves like a midfielder. Marks and goals and has speed.

Look how successful a few teams have been in selecting succesful vfl wafl players the last few years. Kelly lambert saad ryan etc those type of players are the gems of the draft, hopefully we have a crack at those two.

In terms of trades we need a half back general to replace Hodgey, we need speed, a neat kick. We could go down the line of the hawks and pinch another with a few years left. Issac smith on good money and can play that wing or half back role and provide leadership, could get him for a second round pick and a swap of first round picks next year and back ourselves in to go past the hawks next year and essentially end up in a vetter situation at next years draft.

When the trade free agency rolls around im hoping brissy take a couple of flyers in the draft and find a quality trade. And delist the likes of bell bastinac lester paparone etc.
And why is Ryan Lester being delisted when he is playing most weeks and is in the leadership group.:huh:

And why is Ryan Lester being delisted when he is playing most weeks and is in the leadership group.:huh:

Exactly. He isn't the most talented player and next year may struggle to be in the best 22 but he is a good reliable player that would constantly put pressure on the best 22 to keep their places. Gives it his all each week and that is more important than gets credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back