List Mgmt. 2018 Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Senior List: 32 players
Rookie List: 5 players (incl. 2 Cat B)

Current picks: 36, 46, 54, 62, 65 and 91

Guessing that means with the exception of Kolodjashnij that we still need like another 6-7 blokes on the main list which'll mean upgrading some or all of T. Smith/Maynard/Keilty, picking up delisted free agents, etc.

WHat was the reasoning behind Freo trading pick 6 to Port for pick 11 and change?

That was a bizarre move considering what else was in play.
I thought something like that would happen tbh, but only after the Neale deal.

What I expected:
Brisbane give: 5+2nd
Freo give: Neale

Freo give: 6 plus shrapnel
Port give: 10+11 or one first plus 2nds

Freo give: 5+10 or 11
Melb give: Hogan

But I expected it in that order.

You enjoy one little sleep in and you wake up to phone going crazy. I feel like Warney this morning.

Welcome to bluff week everyone.

Does anyone remember when I mentioned that Freo won’t go to mediation because they will be kicked up the arse? The AFL has apparently ticked them off (lightly) for not using the processes made available before pulling out of a potential trade of this magnitude. I am hearing (unconfirmed), Freo gave the AFL a “not sure what you’re talking about” line and the AFL quickly gave a “we’re not stupid” response.

There are updates on KK but I’m just waiting on more. He will be a dee and was nearly a dee on Friday but is now in holding. IMO it has something to do with my update yesterday. Put them together and see if come up with what I’m thinking.
You seem to have the inside word did could you tell us if we really are willing to accept 5 and 23 for Hogan? I'm really hoping this is not the case unless we are using some sort of magic to turn those picks into something very good

You seem to have the inside word did could you tell us if we really are willing to accept 5 and 23 for Hogan? I'm really hoping this is not the case unless we are using some sort of magic to turn those picks into something very good

They are saying we 100% would have on trade radio.

WHat was the reasoning behind Freo trading pick 6 to Port for pick 11 and change?

That was a bizarre move considering what else was in play.
They knew Port was keen.

The idea I think was to split 6 so they hold a lower first round and get to pay it to us for hogan while keeping a bit for themselves. If they did so without having a conversation with Mahoney they are morons though. He must know what currency is needed for May - and they can give us a million s**t picks if they like but there’s no point, we may as well retain Hogan if we can’t achieve what is needed for the trading we have planned.

Yup we would have. We wanted 5 & 2019 1st at the first meeting monday last week. Revised it to 5 & 23, then they traded 5 which didn’t go down well. Then the offer came through and we laughed at it.

What I don’t know is exactly how angry the club is. If all of our other plans fail and there’s 20 mins left on the clock, I think we will.

What you can be sure of is that all clubs we want to deal with know the score and all paperwork will be ready to go for last minute deals if certain things fall together.

Yup we would have. We wanted 5 & 2019 1st at the first meeting monday last week. Revised it to 5 & 23, then they traded 5 which didn’t go down well. Then the offer came through and we laughed at it.

What I don’t know is exactly how angry the club is. If all of our other plans fail and there’s 20 mins left on the clock, I think we will.

What you can be sure of is that all clubs we want to deal with know the score and all paperwork will be ready to go for last minute deals if certain things fall together.

5 and next year's first sounds like we were being aggressive but I like it. But then it feels like a bit of a cave in to go from 5 and (likely) 2019 top 10, to 5 and a second round pick. I'd rather us still push for two first rounders but be open to throwing a pick back their way, even if it is a second round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't help but feel like we haven't pilfered GWS enough over the years, compared to other Vic clubs

Frost Tyson McKenna Bugg

We haven't gone after the elite talent though, in fact doesn't even sound like we have tried for Treloar, Adams, Shiel, Scully etc.

5 and next year's first sounds like we were being aggressive but I like it. But then it feels like a bit of a cave in to go from 5 and (likely) 2019 top 10, to 5 and a second round pick. I'd rather us still push for two first rounders but be open to throwing a pick back their way, even if it is a second round pick.

5 and 23 is more than we will get next year. Thats one reason the club would 'cave'
2nd of all we have identified a player we could use, he might be gone next year if we don't get it done.

Frost Tyson McKenna Bugg

We haven't gone after the elite talent though, in fact doesn't even sound like we have tried for Treloar, Adams, Shiel, Scully etc.
if they are seriously considering trading Scully for pick 53, I cant help but think they would have taken pick 11 (if freo coughed it up) + next years first for say Coniglio.

5 and 23 is more than we will get next year. Thats one reason the club would 'cave'
2nd of all we have identified a player we could use, he might be gone next year if we don't get it done.
If we had said to Freo that we'd accept 5 and 23 for Hogan, would we be still having this conversation?

That's bargain basement prices for a top shelf product.

If we had said to Freo that we'd accept 5 and 23 for Hogan, would we be still having this conversation?

That's bargain basement prices for a top shelf product.
it's all about what we could do with the picks they give us, if we could somehow turn Hogan + next years first rounder into May, Kk & and another gun player from somewhere, id be stoked.

if we effectively trade Hogan for May ill be fairly disappointed. Whilst it would probably make us more likely to win the 2019 flag, it would be a fair step back the 6-7 years after that.

I’m wondering how Freo will attempt to restart negotiations after completely botching things during the week.

Will Peter Bell accept responsibility for this mess or will he grow a couple and accept that he is not up to the job.

Either that or blame someone else in his staff for the miscommunication.

Hmm yeah I can see your point absolutely. I guess I just think back to last year when we gave up two first round picks for an uncontracted Lever. We were being generous and fair negotiators last year, but credit to Adelaide, they wouldn't budge on their demand, even though we held all the cards (uncontracted, only wanted to come to us etc etc). Next year Freo would be in that position if we kept Hogan for 2019. Added to that is a year of getting around Hogan, getting in his ear, belting Freo by 100pts next year then reminding him this was the team he flirted with joining but they didn't value him enough. Part B of this master plan is to convince May to join us as a free agent :) surely all the other Vic teams will run out of salary cap cash by the end of next year anyway, right?!

I'd prefer to see us hold our nerve next year and wait for them to blink like Adel waited for us. And with that attitude, I'd no doubt make an awful list manager haha.

"We think he’s going to be right up at the highest that anyone has been traded for and we think that Fremantle have that opportunity with some picks that they may gain."

Josh Mahoney, 1st October, 2018.

5 & 23 is not that deal.

5 & 11, yes.
5 & Cerra/Brayshaw, yes.
5 & Langdon & second round upgrade, yes
5 & next year's first, yes.

Can't help but feel like we haven't pilfered GWS enough over the years, compared to other Vic clubs
Seems a bit unfair doesn’t it that we’re not part of everyone gets a free giant week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back